Hurricane Georges.

N

Norman

Several of your visitors are still concerned about the effects of hurricane Georges. Let me put these concerns to rest. First, the noth coast, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete, Santiago, etc. were not affected.

Bavaro, La Romana, San Pedro, Juan Dolio, Boca Chica, and to a lesser degree, Santo Domingo were hard hit. On September 23rd trees, power lines, and buildings were down everywhere. I thought it would take many months or years to get back to normal. The countryside looked like a dessert. The trees that didn't fall were defoliated.

I am pleased to report that in all the above mentioned areas, all services are back to normal. Hotels are all open again, and many have improved their landscaping. Everywhere it is green again. You would not believe it ever happened. A tremendous tribute to the Government, the people, and the generous aid from other countries. A Herculean effort!

Norman

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Hurricane - normal or better for tourists, not quite back to normal for residents in Boca Chica

From a tourist's perspective, where there was heavy damage, most is back to normal. From looking around, one can scarcely tell a storm had passed through except from the vacant properties and nearby islands that were never cleaned up and an occassional leaning sign or low hanging wires. Some of the hotels and businesses used this as an opportunity to renovate and things are actually _better_ than before the storm.

But I can tell you that in Boca Chica, many (if not most) phone lines are still down (not at the big hotels or call centers) and Codetel is currently in the process of stringing brand new main lines. I saw them putting up giant gauge wires a couple weeks ago. After, individual phones will be reconnected (say Codetel representatives). Some phones came up for a while, then went back down. In fact, of about a dozen friends that have phone and that all had service for a short while after the storm, none currently have service.

New poles were put up and electric power has been restored to the main wires, but the electric company has yet to reconnect many businesses and houses, even along the main strip. Residents and small business owners that were no longer connected grew tired of waiting and most made their own hookups to the nearest pole or paid somebody to do it, despite warnings from electric company officials that the transformers in place could not support it. For this reason (I believe), power is at around 80-90V in the places where I personally measured it with a meter.

It is also apparent by looking at the sometimes comical hookups that were made using wire that is too thin, hand-wrapped uninsulated connections, wires that weave through and are wrapped around tree branches, etc. It remains to be seen whether the electric company will ever bother to take these amateur connections down and do it professionally, or how long until a full 110V power is restored throughout.

A couple weeks ago in Boca Chica and nearby Andres, there was a strike by buses and vans that provide public transportation in the area and there wasn't any service. Even drivers from outside areas that normally stop and pick up along the highway in Boca Chica didn't pick up during those two days. The strike was to protest how long it is taking to get normal phone and electric service restored. Tourists would not have been affected by this activity.

Power outages are just as frequent today as they were just before the storm, from my recent experience. Residents say that although the President had promised no more outages by Jan. 1999, the storm provides an acceptable excuse for not meeting that promise.

JimHinsch@CSI.COM

D

Dee DeMusis

Hello to you all in the US...I am in La Romana helping with a local mission...just to let you know that the cleanup is progressing well. The spirit of the people here is a real gift to me because they are not crying in self-pity but picking up the pieces-- quite literally--and are rebuilding with what they have...there is a lesson in that...TO ALL THE MISSIONARIES OF THE LA ROMANA PROJECT- you will be very blessed and surprised when you come...God is at work in a big way here. I would be very happy to receive mail...I am here quite willingly but I still need to here from home folks...especially New Englanders...

Thanks...Dee DeMusis

D

DON

DEE WILL NEW JERSEY DO? GLAD TO HEAR THINGS ARE GOING WELL. WE WILL BE BRINGING A GROUP OF 46 DOWN IN MARCH. MOSTLY HIGH SCHOOL SRS ON MISSION TRIP FROM A CHRISTIAN SCHOOL. WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE OPP. WE HAVE BEEN THERE THE LAST TWO YEARS.WE STAY AT CASA DE CAMPO AND WORK IN LAROMANNA AND THE SUGAR CANE VILLLAGES. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE IN MARCH? WHO ARE YOU WITH? AND WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE? I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT THE CONDITIONS AND NEEDS. THANKS AND GOD BLESS YOU! DON

B

Beth Murphy

Dear Dee;

Just read your message re your missionary work in LaRomana. Where is that located and what church are you affiliated with?

I am located in Concord New Hampshire. Where are you from?

Our weather here has been very cold with lots of ice. Tonight, January 6, it is snowing lightly, and our trees are encased in ice left from a storm from the past weekend. This morning when I left for work it was 8 below zero. Too cold.

My husband and I have spent a couple of vacations in the DR and just love it and the people are great.

What are you doing with your missions? I would like to do that someday.

D

Dee DeMusis

HI there, Beth-- I am here as an ?ndependent?this year; I have adopted family here in the DR as the result of an assignment last year... I am working with the Haitian Baptist Mission here in La Romana... I am their intake registrar for the medical clinics in the sugar cane plantations... I also assist another pastor in Santo Domingo every Wednesday.

I am from the York County area of Maine, but found myself not able to rest knowing that my friends and family here were so badly affected by Georges. Many people I know lost their hoouses and all their belongings; the situation here is still fairly serious...the recovery is coming along nicely but there is still a critical need for clothes and shoes.

There is a group that comes here every January and February from Maine and Massachusetts sends groups in February too. This is a good way to try out the mission field and feel without committing alot of time and money.

PLease write me at cuervo3373@hotmail.com and stay in touch.

Dee

D

Dee DeMusis

Dear Don-- I was here with the Haitian Baptist Mission last year and had to go bacvk to the states last November for a variety of reasons. But God wasn?t thhhrough with me here and I am back as an independent missionary now, i think I am here for ?the duration.? I work with the same mission and I am the intake registrar for the medical clinics that we send out to the sugar plantations. i am fairly sure that your group will be working with us... Yup...Jersey will do... Yes, I will be here in March-- looking forward to hearing from you and seeing you.

PLEASE be in touch.

Dee

B

Becky

Hi Dee...I know you believe in miracles....you must be praying up a storm down there...because the miracles are happening up here!!! Laurie said yesterday, over lunch...."let's surprise Dee!!" HOW DO I KEEP THIS A SECRET FOR 6 WEEKS????? At 11:30 AM there was no chance I could come down...by 4:30 PM 1 week vacation time from work had been approved. If this message goes off the bottom of the board before you see it...it will STILL be a surprise!! I am estatic..and I just HAD to tell SOMEONE!!!! LaRomana...HERE I COME!! PRAISE GOD!!

T

Terry Stewart

I am coming to La Pasquala on March 6/99. Do you know this town? The work is a construction with the Methodist church for one week (plus maybe some free days) This will be my first mission type trial. Any comments from you are appreciated. Terry (ps I live in Canada, near Ottawa - its minus 20c tonight, and almost 2 feet of snow - make you homesick?)

T

Terry Stewart

Hi Dee; I will be in "La Pasquala" D.R. on March 6, 1999 to help build with some mission project of the Methodist church. Do you know this area (and or project?) Was there much damage at that location by the hurricane? I currently do not know much about Dominican Republic, and infact only have been a member of the Methodist church since last summer. I live near Ottawa, Canada - and wish you all the best. (ps My note sounds a bit strange, but things just seem to happen!) Terry (2nd ps, maybe I can also see you in March?, I would like to take a couple days to bicycle around after a week of construction)

R

RON VALERIO

i AM A BAPTIST MISSIONARY WITH IBFI AND WILL BE MOVING TO DR NEXT MONTH. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF I WOULD HAVE TO PAY TAX ON A GENERATOR IF I BRING IT INTO THE COUNTRY.

B

Becky

Hi Ron I'll take the liberty of answering for Dee...Don't know how she manages to stay in touch..three months after the hurricane, her neighborhood still doesn't have electricity. I'll be going down myself Feb. 20...our group has had much experience sending down generators, school buses.....etc....and the people that have the answers you seek..or can tell you where to get the answers are:

#1 John Powers e-mail DR@firstbaptist-wlfd.org

#2 Bob Beck e-mail rbeck@tiac.net

They are in Connecticut and Massachusetts respectively.

Our Mission Group Webpage is at www.laromana.org God bless!