messing situation with husband in Canada

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
I have a couple of questions any help would be appreciated. My freind sponsored her husband to come to Canada he arrived in July ( despite all of us saying not to bring him) he left on Nov. 1 and now is playing these horrible games with my freind. As she sponsored him hse is repsonsible for him and to respond promptly to his requests, but here is an example he asked her if she was going to be home he wanted to cmoem talk to her and needed a few things so when she said yes, he showed up with the police and said she was harrassing him, jsut the other day he called her and said can you please bring me money to buy minutes to call my family my freind went gave him the phone card, then was talking with her husband when the police showed up and you need ot leave, my freind is being charged with criminal harrassment and stalking because your low life husband is lying and taking advantage of a very caring person, after each incident he calls my freind and says that is not what he wanted to happen the police do not understand him, he is sorry. Ok so after the background fo the low life, how is my freind suppose to be responsible for him for three years when he charged her with harrassment and there is a no contact. He says he si going to the Dominican Republic to get a divorce because he does nto need my freinds consent or for her to agree then he is coming back to take 1/2 of all her things. Can this possibly be happening to her, and what can she do about it

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I don't know if you are in Toronto but here's the contact information for one of the best immigration lawyers (refugee claimaints) if she can't help your friend, she'll refer you to someone who can (regarding Immigration fraud, family law etc.)

Mary Tatham Lwyr
166 Pearl Street
Toronto, ON M5H 1L3

(416) 351-8600

Reactions: rellosk

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I may be wrong, but I think she doesn't have to be responsible for him if she can prove fraud on his part and also I don't think he can get divorced in The DR without her authorization...

I have a couple of questions any help would be appreciated. My freind sponsored her husband to come to Canada he arrived in July ( despite all of us saying not to bring him) he left on Nov. 1 and now is playing these horrible games with my freind. As she sponsored him hse is repsonsible for him and to respond promptly to his requests, but here is an example he asked her if she was going to be home he wanted to cmoem talk to her and needed a few things so when she said yes, he showed up with the police and said she was harrassing him, jsut the other day he called her and said can you please bring me money to buy minutes to call my family my freind went gave him the phone card, then was talking with her husband when the police showed up and you need ot leave, my freind is being charged with criminal harrassment and stalking because your low life husband is lying and taking advantage of a very caring person, after each incident he calls my freind and says that is not what he wanted to happen the police do not understand him, he is sorry. Ok so after the background fo the low life, how is my freind suppose to be responsible for him for three years when he charged her with harrassment and there is a no contact. He says he si going to the Dominican Republic to get a divorce because he does nto need my freinds consent or for her to agree then he is coming back to take 1/2 of all her things. Can this possibly be happening to her, and what can she do about it

How big of a sucker can your friend be???? If this guy called the police one time she should have disowened him. As for the police not understanding him? They understand him enough to always show up on cue.He was,is and always will be a sanky and now your friend is learning an expensive lesson.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
How big of a sucker can your friend be???? If this guy called the police one time she should have disowened him. As for the police not understanding him? They understand him enough to always show up on cue.He was,is and always will be a sanky and now your friend is learning an expensive lesson.

Yep, yep and yep!!!!!!!

They never learn though!!!!!

Jose_fr

Jan 6, 2007
please

could we please keep this focussed on advice, rather than turning the blame to my freind, alll I am looking for is some advice or anyone who has gone through something like this that coudl help out, not for you to judge my freind ok

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
could we please keep this focussed on advice, rather than turning the blame to my freind, alll I am looking for is some advice or anyone who has gone through something like this that coudl help out, not for you to judge my freind ok

You've already received the best advise - lawyer, lawyer, lawyer- and no contact without a credible witness.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Also, have her record any phone calls that he makes to her or any kind of contact.....record it all.........
SHALENA
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Record everything. Go to the police and let them know up front what is going on. Got to immigration Canada and have it placed on file. Ask how to get him out of the country.

I suggest your friend not wait - tell her to file for divorce - immediately.

As for proving fraud - good luck. Almost impossible.

Unfortunately these other posters are correct - she has been taken in. Their message is correct if insensitive. She needs to not be nice about any of this - take strong action immediately.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
too late to step back, the best thing is prob. file a complaint against him
using her, and that he is beating her. and verbal abuse, threat.
thats a plan A.

Now plan B: (En pleito de mario y mujer es mejor no meterse)
they will see each other again in the long road, better be away from problems. Is good to know both side because now he is the bad and we dont know what trigged the whole thing.

There is to side in this and a lot of questions.

How old is he and how old is she?
How long do they know each other?

But I guess is to late to ask, so the best thing is better leave them finish their issue so you keep the friendship. she will see him and talk to him on your back.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Homer: You're probably right plan B...we only know one side of the story. How do we know she's not really harassing / stalking him. Maybe she feels some kind of "ownership" after bringing him to Canada and now he's not responding / acting the way she would like him to.

Skying: I'm scared of you...Quite conniving...

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

You want advise?? Well go and see a lawyer and pay for it.

As a lawyer myself, I don't believe your story, I mean the part involving the police and that she is harrassing....

It's time for divorce in Canada of course.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
is one allowed to cancel a sponsorship in certain circumstances

If you lie on a application, about a criminal record, children, education, it's fraud. If she can prove that he married her for papers only and applied in bad faith, misrepresentation, that it was a marriage of convenience maybe, but once you satisfy Immigration that it wasn't a marriage of convenience through that long process they go through, it's pretty hard to undo that decision unless something comes to light that would have led to a rejection of his application in the first place. It was set up this way to protect people from living with threats of deportation.

I don't know if he ever said that his intention was to marry her for residency only, if he did, she could swear to it and that could be used. But if he only said, I'm going to divorce you, that's not grounds to have someone deported. The fact that he left so soon after arriving would look shady but since he has laid charges against her and she has been issued a restraining order which she has already violated, that doesn't look good and she could go to jail. Why would she go back to him with a phone card?

She can report him to Canada Border Services, but she should do everything with advice from a lawyer.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
No wonder

....it is so difficult to obtain a visa for a friend or loved one. When stupid people get to sponsor a bad individual and create situations like this, it makes it next to impossible for the rest of us.
Immigration have another case history to use as an excuse not to grant a visa or to keep making things difficult.

Thanks alot.:cheeky:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
It's too much hassle to go to to try and prove he is a fraud and married her for papers. Also, that would drag on any contact with him. Speak to a lawyer and get a divorce. In Canada, you have to wait a year from the date of separation so if you want it done quick, go to the DR yourself and get a quickie.

As for supporting someone for three years because you sponsored them... forget that. I know that's what the papers say because I myself sponsored my husband but the only way you will be in any trouble is if he applies for and receives social assitance. You get such a piddly amount from this that I doubt he would do that and would instead go out and get a job and support his own a**! He is just threatening you to give him stuff and holding over your head that you have to support him.

Like others have said, we don't know the full story BUT anyone in this situation should get as much information they can about their rights and responsibilities so they are no conned any further and so he can't play his game. That's what I would do anyway.

Feb 7, 2007
First of all, it's strange Canada does not cancel the green card in case of a divorce. In the USA, the GC of a sponsored person is automatically canceled and the person is subject to deportation in case there is a divorce before 3 (I think) years have passed since the immigrant visa was granted.

A friend of mine went through that in the US, he married a long-time GF, he was on H1 visa, she was a US resident (they already had several-year-long-relationship) got married, he got GC, 2 and half years later she filed for divorce, he was in threat of being deported. Fortunately he was able to resolve the situation somehow.

If Canada had the similar approach, the guy would not be doing these threats - after a divorce, he would be subject to deportation.

Now, the best advice you got - see a lawyer.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Rubio - 2 totally different systems based on different base premises.

You can't compare the two.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It's too much hassle to go to to try and prove he is a fraud and married her for papers. Also, that would drag on any contact with him. Speak to a lawyer and get a divorce. In Canada, you have to wait a year from the date of separation so if you want it done quick, go to the DR yourself and get a quickie.

As for supporting someone for three years because you sponsored them... forget that. I know that's what the papers say because I myself sponsored my husband but the only way you will be in any trouble is if he applies for and receives social assitance. You get such a piddly amount from this that I doubt he would do that and would instead go out and get a job and support his own a**! He is just threatening you to give him stuff and holding over your head that you have to support him.

Like others have said, we don't know the full story BUT anyone in this situation should get as much information they can about their rights and responsibilities so they are no conned any further and so he can't play his game. That's what I would do anyway.

You have to wait 1 year only if your divorce application is based on the fact that the spouses don't live together anymore section 8(2)a). That is not the case with section 8(2)b) though. Contact a lawyer