boxing

mike88

Nov 22, 2008
Hey whats up everybody. Im ah gonna be studying abroad in santiago beginning in january. Just thought Id check in and say hi. I don't know my exact address yet but Im just trying to scope everything out a bit before hand. I looked some at some of the other posts regarding basketball courts, good places to go out to eat and dance etc. But Im also a semi serious amateur boxer and looking for a place to box while im down there. Anybody know of any gyms? Let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated, if not Ill probably try and hook something up myself. Any other general advice would be good too as i dont speak spanish all that well.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Boxing is big in Santiago. I can find out where the main clubs are. Jorge above is right, the clubs are nothing like the States, but you can get a work out...

When you get here, you can find me in the History Department on the ground floor of where you foreign students have an office...

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
"Club Feliz Benjamin Martes" calle Anselmo Copello / Av. Circunsvalacion, Boxing Club in Santiago. RD.

JJ.

mike88

Nov 22, 2008
Im an environmental science major but im not taking any classes towards my major, just all the gen eds I still have to take. Although I think the dominican should be a pretty interesting country in that respect. i plan on checking out some of the stuff in the environment section of the forum. Pero, no me "espeakay" espanol muy bien so it should be an interesting few months. so hillbilly what office are you talkin about? Im going to be in the ISA program at PUCMM. I still haven't got alot of my specific information yet but its in the mail. And to bachata good lookin out on that boxing gym ill be sure to write that down and check it out. I appreciate it. Im very interested to see what its like down there.

Canela21

Oct 29, 2008
Mike, if you're studying with ISA then your program's office is off-campus (as of last year, unless this has changed). The 2 CIEE programs, CIC, and DRC all have offices in a building together in PUCMM, not sure why ISA is the odd man out lol. That's what Hillbilly was talking about, Humanities is in the same building where those programs are located.

Once you get here, talk to your host family and the host families of other students. Someone might have a place they can take you to, since you said your Spanish isn't great. You'll definitely improve as the semester goes on and I'm pretty sure you'll have an amazing time. Studying abroad was one of the best things I did while I was in college.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you are going to ISA you will be living on campus at La Herradura....that is about 6 km outside of town. to the west. Club Felix Benjam?n Marte is located on the Malecon in the lower part of town. Old style club. Ask for Villalona...

I'd better go find out...

HB