Safety in Las Terrenas, recent news

nikcevic

Nov 27, 2008
I'm planing to move to LT soon, but i was reading many different threads about violant crimes there .... so ...

How is situation past 6 months?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I'm planing to move to LT soon, but i was reading many different threads about violant crimes there .... so ...

How is situation past 6 months?
So far so good... It has been a couple of "much easier" years... 2005 and 2006 were quite bad... Since then things are better. The actual Police Chief, Escolastico, is a trigger-happy well feared among the low-life...
Do your homework however, have a secured living quarter, don't put yourself in awkward situation...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Do not buy into a so called secure community with a wall around it and a security guard. Half the guards are in with the thieves and the rest fall asleep. Make sure you have an individual house with its own good security, walls, steel gates, bars on all windows and good secure padlocks, not the cheap chinese ones you can open with a hairclip. Depending on what part of town it is you might consider a shotgun.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
No way war. We?ve lived here 3 years so far with all the above and no hint of any problems or trouble and I love it here, the neighbours are great. They are all Dominican and keep an extra eye on our place when we?re away, as we do on theirs.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
Things certainly seem to have turned around this last year and if you are observant, keep your house secure, be careful who you hire to work for you and get to know your neighbors you should not have problems. It is not the town under seige that it was 2 years ago, it feels like a different place. Our neighborhood is now tranquillo.

kooro

May 4, 2009
LT is safe

I have been travelling/living in LT for approx. 4 years. LT is safer than most American and European cities; but obviously that does not mean that there is no theft at all. One must understand that DR is a third world country and that the majority of the population is very poor. Respecting the people and mixing with them will go a long way in LT, or anywhere for that matter.