Thanks DR, ants all gone!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Just wanted to thanks to you guys at DR1 who gave me the great info that I needed to get rid of my persistent (almost 3 years) problem with very small ants in my kitchen. Over the years we have tried everything, almost all highly toxic and to no avail. Finally, someone suggessted Borax and voila, this did the trick. The great thing too is this is not really toxic to humans (I think). Thanks DR1!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Just wanted to thanks to you guys at DR1 who gave me the great info that I needed to get rid of my persistent (almost 3 years) problem with very small ants in my kitchen. Over the years we have tried everything, almost all highly toxic and to no avail. Finally, someone suggessted Borax and voila, this did the trick. The great thing too is this is not really toxic to humans (I think). Thanks DR1!
Chip, how do you use the borax?
I don't have very many ants but there are some that make a trail from the half bath downstairs to the kitchen, I would like to get rid of them. I see a little hole in the bathroom where it looks like they are coming from and I have sprayed bleach, fabuloso, oven cleaner, anything I can get my hands on into the hole to no avail. They still come back
SHALENA
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, how do you use the borax?
I don't have very many ants but there are some that make a trail from the half bath downstairs to the kitchen, I would like to get rid of them. I see a little hole in the bathroom where it looks like they are coming from and I have sprayed bleach, fabuloso, oven cleaner, anything I can get my hands on into the hole to no avail. They still come back
SHALENA
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

I bought some at a local supermecado - see link to see how the box looks - it is just a plain laundry additive.

20 Mule Team - Product Details

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
it can be toxic
Toxicity
Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic. [6] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats. [7] This does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. (Note that the median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats.) Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [8]

A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[9] Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[10]

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
it can be toxic
toxicity
borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic. [6] its ld50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats. [7] this does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. (note that the median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats.) simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "in severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [8]

a reassessment of boric acid/borax by the united states environmental protection agency office of pesticide programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[9] boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[10]

whoa..........
Shalena
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
whoa..........
Shalena
LA PRIETA RABIOSA

In spite of all that it is used as a laundry additive and is a lot less toxic than most other things. Put a little in your kitchen where the ants come from like the edge of the counter.

Sanation

May 21, 2007
In spite of all that it is used as a laundry additive and is a lot less toxic than most other things. Put a little in your kitchen where the ants come from like the edge of the counter.

Yes, it is toxic as JRHartley has said. If you have animals or small children around, I would not recommend it unless you can lock it away or put out of reach.

Mix the Borax with a little sugar to attract the ants who, being the sharing and caring types, take it back to the nest to feed the masses... vola, no more ants!

Shalena, if you can, I would try to 'inject' the Borax into the hole. Maybe use an eyedropper or syringe.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yes, it is toxic as JRHartley has said. If you have animals or small children around, I would not recommend it unless you can lock it away or put out of reach.

Mix the Borax with a little sugar to attract the ants who, being the sharing and caring types, take it back to the nest to feed the masses... vola, no more ants!

Shalena, if you can, I would try to 'inject' the Borax into the hole. Maybe use an eyedropper or syringe.

I think it is relevant to note that we don't plan on using this on anyone's bare skin, it will be placed in obscure areas not in contact with people or food.

Given that there are relatively few alternatives available here such as sevendust, Borax is really a no brainer.

Carbaryl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks, I will try this.
Thank goodness the hole is in the half bath downstairs that rarely is used.
I will let you know the results
SHALENA