Anyone know what is going on in Los Haitises?

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Still no one in any of the media reports have mentioned the fact that the people who were evicted when the park was created, and again when it was expanded in 1994, were promised compensation and never recieved un chele. Plus this line about streams is rubbish - the place is a low-lying calcitic landscape - how many streams come out of there?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Drug raids

The report in yesterday's Listin had pictures of troops moving in and said that there were "drug points" inside the park. Later in the story, it reported that there were "new harvests" so one assumes that there were marijuana patchs,yes?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There was a report a few days ago about yaut?a and other crops being cultivated for export to PR - the implication being that the squatters are not just poor subsistence farmers but that there is larger scale commercial farming going on, hence the references to "interests".

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
Cheers Chiri for the insight - there was a big brouha in the early nineties over evictions of subsistence farmers in Los Haitises, where only "interests" were compensated for loss of land. I was pretty sceptical about the export and drugs references, but the "interests" thing changes it somewhat. 1,400 troops for 100 families still sounds like the heavy-handed response of the early 1990s.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just found this blog: Eco Lucha RD is made up of a number of organisations like La Revuelta, Projuventud, Juventud Caribe, Felabel, Colectivo Menta, Marohu, Revoluci?n 65 & others to join in efforts to combat the installation of a cement factory in Los Haitises. It would appear that the Government have granted a licence to Grupo Aceros Estrella, to whom they owe money, according to this.
Eco Lucha RD: ?Una cementera en Los Haitises!

Front page of blog is here:
Eco Lucha RD

50 km cycle ride Sunday to promote awareness of the issue:
MTBdominicana: RUTA MTB "AYUDANDO A SALVAR LOS HAITISES"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to MY sources, this is a corporation owned by Felix Garcia (Productos Linda, Envases Antillanos, El Caribe, La Fabril, Troqueldom, etc etc etc), Manuel Estrella (El Caribe, Aceros Estrella, Cemento Dominicano) and Huascar Rodriguez Jr (Cementos Cibao) in an attempt to get closer to the major comsumer markets of the East and Santo Domingo...

I do not think it can be stopped.

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
The group HB discussed is building a new cement plant

...that has already been given a stamp of approval from the environmental dept.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
According to MY sources, this is a corporation owned by Felix Garcia (Productos Linda, Envases Antillanos, El Caribe, La Fabril, Troqueldom, etc etc etc), Manuel Estrella (El Caribe, Aceros Estrella, Cemento Dominicano) and Huascar Rodriguez Jr (Cementos Cibao) in an attempt to get closer to the major comsumer markets of the East and Santo Domingo...

I do not think it can be stopped.

HB

I would never doubt your sources HB. Maybe you could write to these Dominican youngsters and explain? It will be worse for them if they continue to put effort into a campaign which doesn't even have a 1% chance of succeeding.

I always thought the Minister of the Environment, Jaime Mirabal, was one of the (few) good guys with a real interest in the environment? Looks like they went to town last year evicting squatters & crop growers NOT to return Los Haitises as a national ecological treasure (as said at the time) but to make it easier for ownership to be given to a cement factory (& rumoured mining concern, but I don't know how much weight that has). The pollution and contamination fallout have got to be worse from a cement factory than crop growing, surely? And Jaime Mirabal knows about that, that's why he firmly came out against the cement factory at Luperon:
sacandomelao: Jaime David vuelve y repite: LA CEMENTERA NO V?

So........when they were evicting the squatters from Los Haitises last year, did they know all along that it was going to a cement company?

Anyway, the youngsters have organised a sit-in/camp-in this weekend, lasting a week
Vigilante Informativo: CAMPENTO CONTRA CEMENTERA EN LOS HAITISES

Grupos no se rinden en lucha contra instalaci?n cementera - Hoy Digital

and are thinking about litigating against him
Dominicanos HOY: Someter?n Jaime David por autorizar cementera

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I wish I had the answers. The group (again, as I heard it from pretty reliable sources) is more powerful than Jaime David...tighter with the Pres and so on...

This is big league money...and egos...at play.

HB

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Jaime Mirabal has said there is no problem environmentally.....

......with that cement project.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Money Eaters

This is big league money...

rigtb4.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
so true DonP,
that's why the persons in charge will go on to fill their pockets with money just thinking:
Hey,
if i am hungry i send the wife with her credit card to the store to get something.

Jaime Mirabal seems to have changed his 'route/mind/bank account'.

i would love to see that stopped, but doubt a lot.
it's very big money talking.

Ginnie,
So........when they were evicting the squatters from Los Haitises last year, did they know all along that it was going to a cement company?
betya

Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the big projects/moves of those big companies are usual something planned with a long advantage, such decisions are not made from one moment to an other, to request a permit from several secretaries of state is a long lasting process.
that's why i say they knew it,
it was planned the way they start it now.
and yes,
it is very sad
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The sit-in/camp-in at Los Haitises continues. It was due to finish this weekend but in the light of developments they are keeping it going.

On Wednesday the environmental commission of the Chamber of Deputies called a meeting for Jaime David to explain why the permission was given for the cement factory. He didn't show up but sent a team of delegates. Environmental Commission wasn't convinced by their arguments and decided to seek the annulment of the permission granted.

The camp-in therefore continues! Activists need food so anyone going there or nearby, please take them some. The battle is by no means won but this would appear to be a ray of hope and certainly attests to the power of peaceful protest.

Eco Lucha RD: SEMARENA y Jaime David no acuden ante los diputados para explicar el permiso otorgado a la Cementera en Los Haitises

Video here:
Eco Lucha RD: Video protesta mi?rcoles, con obstrucci?n camiones

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Sacred ground

But nothing is sacred in the Dominican Republic. I have seen the etchings and explored the area. Perhaps someone should contact the United Nations about this heritage site.