Cost for Temporary Residency

Meraux

Sep 17, 2006
Hola amigos:

Can someone please say what a reasonable cost in DR Pesos is for a temporary residency? [working with a DR lawyer]

Thank you!

Leonardo

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
RD$28,5000 - RD$35,250 is the range, any higher is "The Gringo Price"!

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
RD$28,5000 - RD$35,250 is the range, any higher is "The Gringo Price"!

Bear in mind that provisional and permanent residency official costs (Immigration Department) have been increased by ~ 19% and 30% respectively in the last few months, so an early 2008 or earlier quote would definitely be below market today.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I spent 28000 peso

then the lawyer ask additional 2700 peso for the cedular. So total is 30700 peso roughly $900. I really do not like this dominican way increase price during the process. I am looking for qualified sponsor who own property or car or have 100000 peso ( $3000 ) fixed saving acount. Next time I will apply myeself. Any potentioal sponsor there, please contact me.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i agree to sr guzman,
forget about the fees you know from earlier on this year.
i renewed my permanent residency again right now, rates increased a lot. i would name a $1000.- - $1500.- for a complete lawyer fee reasonable now.
heck, mine costed a 200 bucks back in the day and that lawyer gal is til today one of my best friends and running big part of my stuff where a lawyer is needed.
but that's been a back in the day fee, lol.
if you get it done with everything included, no ectra fees, no extra VIP speedy fees aso for 30.000.- or less pesos you got a great deal.
and it will not get cheaper.
compared to other countries they are still much too cheap, but we won't tell 'em, won't we?
Mike

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
then the lawyer ask additional 2700 peso for the cedular. So total is 30700 peso roughly $900. I really do not like this dominican way increase price during the process. I am looking for qualified sponsor who own property or car or have 100000 peso ( $3000 ) fixed saving acount. Next time I will apply myeself. Any potentioal sponsor there, please contact me.
How can he ask for extra $$ for the Cedula when you need it to get your residency?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
How can he ask for extra $$ for the Cedula when you need it to get your residency?

that Q can only be asked by a "lawyer" who's not worth any buck to spend on for anything.

there is no extra residency fee.
you apply/make your deal aso for your residency, temporal or permanent, and that includes the cedula, they go along on the same process.
anything else is a scam.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as an addition to that:
in the whole residency process you get handed out your cedula first and with your cedula in your hands the immigration office will hand you over your residency.
there is no residency without cedula,
at the end of the residency-process you always have to pass first at the office of the 'junta central electoral' where you get your cedula, from there you drive down to the immigration where you show them your cedula, and then they hand you out your residency.
there is no other way/procedure.
at least if they did not change their laws the last weeks.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Do I understand this correctly? You are asking for people who don't know you to sponsor you. is that right? Because, with respect, how would anyone know that was a wise thing to do? Why doesn't your lawyer sponsor you?

My understanding of lawyers' fees for provisional residency these days is in the same ballpark figure as Mike Fisher's except I would put the range US$1200-1500.

Reactions: MikeFisher

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
Yes, the lawyer sponsor you normally when you apply residency

That is why you had to pay the big buck for the lawyer.. The lawyer do not know you either and they know your money.The lawyer sponsor every person he get money from. I am looking for some who want make some buck and willing to sponsor me. The normal person through this proceess is already get security and crimminal back ground check what elso you have to risk.Thus I can lower my total cost for next time. The qualification is not very high. The sponsor should meet one of the crtiria, own a property or own a car or have 100000 peso ( less than $3000 ) fixed time saving account.
Do I understand this correctly? You are asking for people who don't know you to sponsor you. is that right? Because, with respect, how would anyone know that was a wise thing to do? Why doesn't your lawyer sponsor you?

My understanding of lawyers' fees for provisional residency these days is in the same ballpark figure as Mike Fisher's except I would put the range US$1200-1500.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
awaiting my again renewed residency i got a phonecall from my lawyer this morning, have to drive down to santo domingo to get a new foto on the card, on the last 3 cards they always used the foto from back in the day.
luckily i have to be in st dgo on thursday anyways, so no extra ride from PC needed for that.
Mike

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
awaiting my again renewed residency i got a phonecall from my lawyer this morning, have to drive down to santo domingo to get a new foto on the card, on the last 3 cards they always used the foto from back in the day.
luckily i have to be in st dgo on thursday anyways, so no extra ride from PC needed for that.
Mike

It's because someone wiped all of them off the system. So it isn't just you, Mike, all of us will have to do this. BushBaby posted the glad tidings here post 17.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/79517-renewing-residency-santiago-2.html

I am looking for some who want make some buck and willing to sponsor me. The normal person through this proceess is already get security and crimminal back ground check what elso you have to risk.

You're probably a very nice person with no criminal ties whatsoever, travel1000, & I hope you find your sponsor. But the gullibility displayed in the emboldened part concerns me. And think about it from your point of view as well, if someone offers to sponsor you, what do you know about them? They could be in the drugs business for all you know. You really are laying yourself wide open by making this request of complete strangers. And how do you check them out? Put a post on DR1 asking if this person is ok & thus upset the person who has offered? You see the problem? You must have some friends in the DR, surely, people who actually know you? If you're not going the lawyer route then get a friend to sponsor you.

There are lots of people reading this board who meet the criteria you describe for a sponsor but who wouldn't offer. Why? Nothing to do with you personally, just that there have been & are some non-standard people seeking residency in the DR & most of us wouldn't take the risk with someone we didn't know. The money you offer would not be viewed as an enticement to overcome this risk. Expats aren't going to go out of their way to do something which has the potential for hassle. Sorry, but it's a fact of life I'm afraid.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
Ja, you are right

most people here probely will not do it.but it is harmless to ask here. if someone offer me sponsorahip, I will not ask any question of your back ground. I do not think I will take any risk.If it happen in america, your whole logical is correct but it is dominican republic. Sponsorship is obligation part of residency application. Every lawyer must sponsor his client or find someone to sponsor his client without know him or her personally. Otherwise residency appplication cannot be completed. Thus acording to your logic, every lawyer is stupid to sponsor his client without knowing his client might be drug dealer. If that is case, no lawyer will take any client. When I am in a lawyer office from provisional residency, 5 or six russians waiting there also. No party speak English and both party just use body language to comunicate the price. After payment, one driver took me and the russians to medical check. I did not see any consideration that if the rusians is drug dealer. I think it is very possible this russian is drug dealer ( no offence to russian ). I just want say is that here is not america. I just try to find some creative way to lower my application cost for next time.
It's because someone wiped all of them off the system. So it isn't just you, Mike, all of us will have to do this. BushBaby posted the glad tidings here post 17.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/79517-renewing-residency-santiago-2.html

You're probably a very nice person with no criminal ties whatsoever, travel1000, & I hope you find your sponsor. But the gullibility displayed in the emboldened part concerns me. And think about it from your point of view as well, if someone offers to sponsor you, what do you know about them? They could be in the drugs business for all you know. You really are laying yourself wide open by making this request of complete strangers. And how do you check them out? Put a post on DR1 asking if this person is ok & thus upset the person who has offered? You see the problem? You must have some friends in the DR, surely, people who actually know you? If you're not going the lawyer route then get a friend to sponsor you.

There are lots of people reading this board who meet the criteria you describe for a sponsor but who wouldn't offer. Why? Nothing to do with you personally, just that there have been & are some non-standard people seeking residency in the DR & most of us wouldn't take the risk with someone we didn't know. The money you offer would not be viewed as an enticement to overcome this risk. Expats aren't going to go out of their way to do something which has the potential for hassle. Sorry, but it's a fact of life I'm afraid.

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
as an addition to that:
in the whole residency process you get handed out your cedula first and with your cedula in your hands the immigration office will hand you over your residency.
there is no residency without cedula,
at the end of the residency-process you always have to pass first at the office of the 'junta central electoral' where you get your cedula, from there you drive down to the immigration where you show them your cedula, and then they hand you out your residency.
there is no other way/procedure.
at least if they did not change their laws the last weeks.
Mike

For my temporary and permanant residency(completed last week) I had to go 1st w/ my lawer to immigration and wait for my name to be called to take photo..then wait somemore and they give me my residency card. Then we've traveled to the JCE where I fill out some personal info and show them my residency card, then they take the photo and give me my cedula..Thats how it happened both times, so I hope my stuff is legit.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
For my temporary and permanant residency(completed last week) I had to go 1st w/ my lawer to immigration and wait for my name to be called to take photo..then wait somemore and they give me my residency card. Then we've traveled to the JCE where I fill out some personal info and show them my residency card, then they take the photo and give me my cedula..Thats how it happened both times, so I hope my stuff is legit.

I had the same process, in reverse, first I picked up a form from migracion, then went to JCE for photo and cedula, then returned to migracion for photo and residency card.