Dominican/American Differences in Learning the Language

Ceasar Garcia

Oct 1, 2008
Please, I am not here to offend anyone. I just would like an open debate on this TOPIC. I come from Latin roots. My grandfather came from Spain my Grandmother from Cuba settled in Tampa, Florida in the late 1880's. Never learned to speak English. My mother was first generation born American. Grew up in West Tampa which is a mix of Latinos and Italians, and of course Florida Rednecks. Even as a child I am now 51 years of age we all could speak 3 languages. I remember going to school to learn English because, the only Gringo in my family was my father. He understood Spanish but could not speak it very well.

My question or observation is this. Why is it that still today in 2009 almost, so many people who move to the U.S. still refuse to learn the English Language ?

When you get off the plane in Miami or New York everything is in Spanish first and, English second. Here if you cannot read, write and speak Spanish your are ( x*&^%$#@ ).

You cannot even take the Driver Licensed test in English. Now I speak fluent Spanish. But as a born and raised American whos country pumps Billions of Dollars into this country every year for decades I would think a little consideration should be in order.

Ok, I think I got all of this off my chest. It is just after 10 years here I would like a break every once in awhile.

Sorry to those whom I have offended.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I can tell, this topic has limited DR content, and the Living forum is about Living in the DR. I'll send this to "Dominicans Abroad" and let the Mod there decide whether it is appropriate.