Property management companies- honest?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Well, a person wants to rent an appt in a particular building (lets call it "los B"). Willing to pay $1000 a month. He contacts a big property management company (lets call it "A") and gets an answer - nothing is available for $1000, only for $2500.

The person arrives in Sosua, stays for two days in a cheap hotel, visits the building in person ( to see that of 15 identical appts only 3 are occupied/rented), speaks to people who work there, and gets in contact with some real owners who are VERY happy to rent out for $1000 and the person happily lives there since then. For $1000 US a month plus electricity.

When been asked owners of the appts say that the pmc "A" never informed them of anyone interested to rent for $1000, instead just kept saying that there is neither interest nor renters.

Obviousely pmc "A" (and some others like them) does it trying to preserve artificially high rent prices and their high commissions.

But this is not THEIR appts. In my understanding , they betray interests of owners who instead of getting a $1000 monthly income have nothing but to pay $300 maintenance fee.

Is this practice of propety management companies acceptable from moral and legal point of view?
Can they be trusted to "manage" my house or appt in my absense if they reject renters without letting me know first?
Can this company "A" be sued by an owner for withholding and keeping in secrecy from the owner a vital financial information?

It would be helpful to hear opinions and insights of respected and experienced DR1 members.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Without trying to judge the company you're talking about let me explain how I do it at Metro.
With the owners I have agreements and their authorization to negotiate rates with the clients to a certain limit. If a client wants to pay much less than the asking price I inform the owner and have him make the decision whether to rent or not.
This is the way a management company should operate, making money for the operator as well as for the owner.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Although it seems the PMC A was unprofessional (and unethical, in my opinion) I wouldn't say what they did is illegal. Unless they have a written contract with the owner to present any and all offers for rental. I doubt they have such a contract, tho.

I would just avoid PMC A in all future rentals. I certainly wouldn't have them manage my property!

A

apostropheman

Sounds like a bad situation that might have been avoided by more research prior to choosing the PM company and by using a more reputable firm such as [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Sosua Property Management & Services.

[/FONT] Home.

Curt and Sandi, for example, are well known to be honest and do a fine job often going above and beyond expectations.

Unfortunately you did not have a good experience but there definitely are good property management companies available if you are careful and thorough in your "due diligence" before committing to a real estate or PM company.