Moving to Puerto Plata, advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikcevic

Nov 27, 2008
Dear all

I'm moving to Puerto Plata in next 2 weeks ... already put a deposit for apartment.
I was reading about what things to do in POP ... now i am more interested in what not to do and where not to go in order not to make any begginers mistakes

If anybody has any suggestions on good places to hang out i would appreciate.

About playa Dorada ... is that beach open for anybody or just for ppl in hotels there ...?

thanks in advance

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Check the Living Section. Stop by Rocky's, keep your head down and don't be stupid. You'll do fine
,but it won't be easy.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Most places in PP are ok in the daytime but stay out of the downtown barrios at night. Try not to look 'lost' even if you are ;), walk purposefully & give off a vibe of quiet self confidence. I hope that deposit is for the rental, not the purchase of an apartment. Purchasing would be much later down the line when you're happy that this is the place for you.

Can I just check, is it PP or Las Terrenas you are coming to?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/82264-safety-las-terrenas-recent-news.html#post701584

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Dear all

I'm moving to Puerto Plata in next 2 weeks ... already put a deposit for apartment.
I was reading about what things to do in POP ... now i am more interested in what not to do and where not to go in order not to make any begginers mistakes

If anybody has any suggestions on good places to hang out i would appreciate.

About playa Dorada ... is that beach open for anybody or just for ppl in hotels there ...?

thanks in advance

The beach is open for everybody, if you are driving you will need to pay parking.

nikcevic

Nov 27, 2008
Most places in PP are ok in the daytime but stay out of the downtown barrios at night. Try not to look 'lost' even if you are ;), walk purposefully & give off a vibe of quiet self confidence. I hope that deposit is for the rental, not the purchase of an apartment. Purchasing would be much later down the line when you're happy that this is the place for you.

Can I just check, is it PP or Las Terrenas you are coming to?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/82264-safety-las-terrenas-recent-news.html#post701584

I was cheking Las Terrenas, POP and Bavaro .... and after going in all 3 towns i decided to rent in POP

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
thanks ... i hope i didnt make a mistake by coming there :D

Well I've been living in Puerto Plata 16 years which probably tells you it wasn't a mistake for me :) . Now that the Malecon beach in PP has been resanded, it is nice for sunbathing so you don't need to go to Playa Dorada unless you want to, of course. Swimming is better done in Playa Dorada. Are you here to work or on holiday?

nikcevic

Nov 27, 2008
Well I've been living in Puerto Plata 16 years which probably tells you it wasn't a mistake for me :) . Now that the Malecon beach in PP has been resanded, it is nice for sunbathing so you don't need to go to Playa Dorada unless you want to, of course. Swimming is better done in Playa Dorada. Are you here to work or on holiday?

I'll be working in DR but not related to any city specially, thou tourists are involved, of course :) :)
I have checked few towns, and PoP looks like place good enough for decent living ...
I'm moving to PoP with my mother and fiancee and she is Dominican, which makes my life here much easier ... but still i really appreciate and need some first hand advices from PoP ppl, speacially expats

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
You are off to a good start!

From experience, I will say that getting to know Lambada and that other scoundrel at "Casa Bush" is a fine start! They have a good knowledge and great love of their chosen homeland. Best to you as you embark on this journey!:bunny:

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.