• Thread starter misterchicago40
  • Start date

Budget accommodation advice

M

misterchicago40

HELLO I am having trouble posting here I wanted to delete my last post impossible here my question was on how i can live for 6 months or 5 months on 850 to 1000 a month,, Maybe more like 900 a month,, Can i get some good info on this soon????

M

misterchicago40

Why not???

I agree man...
yes, i feel 'tentative' on what 'right action' would be on these issues. And i do sense change.

Though, people do use message boards to try and find out as much they can. So, if we develop something around a number, say us$1,000, we may just be helpful, instead of a hindrance. And i am sure we will get more posters like enclinedesigns.

In fact, if i was single with no responsibilities and no family, i think i can live on less than us$1,000 in the dr. Especially without the cost of a vehicle.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
misterchicago40, no problem - I deleted your previous post.

In reply to your question, it would help to have more details about your plans and requirements - that budget would go a long way in the campo or a non-tourist town, but not so much in the main cities or tourist areas.

M

misterchicago40

THANKS for THE Delete Please I am down to earth and honest I think it will be about 900 a month I will have back up money that I can throw in to keep it a 1000 but thats extra emergency money in case to pay fines of overstaying and visting nearby Haiti when I arrive,, I have been posting lately like crazy on the other travel forum lonely planet and everyone is giving me gringo prices,, If worse comes to worse too with that emergency money I can fly to Panama or Costa Rica and live there,, OK Well my main places are either Santo Domingo Santiago and LA Vega.... Thats What seems like the fun for me,,I am not rich and slightly live above the backpacker style I need help on this bad and i speak great spanish more or less....

malikp

Aug 30, 2008
a $1000 budget should be eeeazy in DR especially when you put natural gas in ur car, if you use gasoline in DR you're stupid.

500 for apartment, 100-200 maybe for food? what else u need? 200 for entertainment goes a long ****ing way.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
My 2 cents. 1000 USD seems low for the Capital or other cities in DR. Aside from rent, consider electricity, water, phone & cable bills. Malikp mentioned propane for your car, but you may also need it for your kitchen stove. This place is not cheap. I would hate for you to underbudget yourself.

M

misterchicago40

MAN YOU Guys are no help I done need a place for 500??? ALL I need is a sleeping room or small studio and I here that goes for 150 to 200 a POP,, Why would I want a Car or Cable TV in THE DR??? What is this The rich Mans Forum????

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
MAN YOU Guys are no help I done need a place for 500??? ALL I need is a sleeping room or small studio and I here that goes for 150 to 200 a POP,, Why would I want a Car or Cable TV in THE DR??? What is this The rich Mans Forum????

If you just need a place to sleep, check out Hans' Place. As the website says, between 4-10 USD per day. I never stayed, ... I never will.

Aparthotel Pension Serena

Good Luck,
TOOBER

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Misterchicago, you are getting informed advice from posters who know the country well but that sort of reaction may discourage people from helping.

You can find something basic at that price - I suggest you take a couple of deep breaths, start a new thread in the Santo Domingo forum providing specific details of your requirements, emphasising that luxuries are not a priority and that you are willing to settle for basic accommodation in any part of the city.

OK?

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

so what ya wanna do in the city??
only hanging out out of the house/room??
good idea, but for that in the cities and the whole east coast area you should rebudget, because that is much more expensive than just once a month a 500+bucks for rent.
taking 3-4 little beers on the way from work homewards costs you those above budgeted 200 bucks a month 'entertainment', but there's still no entertainment done.

like Chiri mentioned above,
by your tone you should not expect that anybody cares about a quote/budgeting aso for ya.
if you do not believe what expats post here,
just ask somewhere else.
if you have own real experience here in the country,
just post it.
we are preparing right now(the Mrs prepares, the boys play on the computer, ha ha) a homecooked fishy lunch for me, my Mrs, my 6yrs boy, one of my captains, his wife(my half sis), including a bottle of fake Baileys for the ladies and the cold greenies for us guys that's a easily $150.- sunday afternoon.
not a big party, no fancy champagne or wine, just 2 couples and one kid on a simple sunday noon.
happy weekend
Mike

M

misterchicago40

I Dont want a big room OK I just want a sleeping room or studio now you tell me 500??? Come on Dude that is USA prices,, Locals pay 250 Here and it can be gotten cheper I have a Female friend here that can find me for 150 a month then that guy Hans his studios are 240 a month to gringos,, Thanks Mike,, What you mean hang in my room??? The Weekends I would go out and party and weekedays take it easy read my travel books hang around with friends use the internet And last I heard it was a dollar an hour yeh but Mike you will tell Me 5 an hour thanks a lot for overpriced gringo info..

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Misterchicago40, if you have a female friend who can find you this apartment for US$150 why do you need to ask further? If you really want somewhere cheap I can tell you that a room in a barrio rooming house in Puerto Plata costs RD$1200 a month, i.e. US$34. You could probably find places like that in Santo Domingo.

Would I advise it? No.

On second thoughts, having seen some of your responses & your inability to take the Moderator's advice..........yes why not? Give it a try. :). It'll be a most educational experience.

Reactions: drloca
M

misterchicago40

I dont want that either but 500 bucks is crazy,, I can settle for the 240 hans offers or in just a normal barro No problem..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
misterchicago, I've given you a thread of your own in the Santo Domingo section of the forums, because it was getting steered off topic in the Sticky Thread in the Living Forum which is meant to provide general, as opposed to specific advice.

Hope it helps you find what you're looking for. :)

M

misterchicago40

OK HERE I Go I first asked about trying to survive on a budget here in another forum for 800 then 900 now The Max I can do is 1000 I cant see why not??? I mean if I stay at Hans place Great also I was asking to about doing searches on places in Santiago when I get there and said I heard of a few hotels for 10 and under by plaza Duarte and I got snickered and harrassed at OK Fine if the cheapest ones are only 13 to 15 a night there too I will acceept it,, Why must people be so mean here?? And Yes Iam trying thats why I am posting here Any help and advice is appreciated here...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
MisterChicago:

You post vague questions about finding the cheapest places possible then don't like the answers and snap at the people trying to help.

This isn't Lonely Planet or a back-packer's site. You should have figured out by reading the forums here that probably 99% of the people here don't live the way you are now explaining that you want to live...and don't know about $5 Hotels or $100 apartments...except in the poorest barrios, and I, for one, certainly didn't assume you were looking to live there...

If you know people who know people who can find you apartments, hotels, food, internet cafes for the prices you mention, why do you keep asking here??

Can you live in the Dominican Republic for $900 a month? Obviously, as the salary for the average Dominican who has a job (and more than 20% DON'T) is about one third of that... would the vast majority of people who read and/or post on this board consider living like that, or know the answers for someone who would? Obviously not.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
MISTERCHICAGO, 3yrs ago in Santo Dom a friend of mine was keeping his ex-girlfriend in an apartment for 30.00 us a month. I didn't go inside, because I wasn't interested, but it was in a neighborhood where the sweat-house workers boarded the bus to make their !0 dollars a day...........about 2 to 3 hundred females, that didn't mind me taking pictures, unlike Sosua, because they were making an honest day's living and appeared to be happy going to their job.............And I was impressed because I saw what could have been at least 20 of my future ex-wives.............I had an apartment, unfurnished, not far from Sosua, 3 bedrooms, last year for $ 150.00 us, last year.........Dominican families survive off of way less than $ 500.00 US a month, so with your knowledge of spanish and letting them see that you are just as poor as them , might work...............Now, one time when the lights, or electric went out, I actually dreamed that I died 3 times in my sleep, it was so hot with no fan or anything..........I yust go off the phone with one of my Dom friends' that pays 3000 pesos for a room in ( Haba Bacoor ),way, misspelled, but just trying to give you a picture...........Now I would't advise living in the campo, because of traveling conditions, unless you have a car..... The scars I have seen on the legs and bodies of those beautiful women is rediculous, I guess its' the same for the men.....just haven't been looking.........Just have an escape system, in case you get sick.........I got food poisoned there in Sosua, in Sept. and when you are sick, you just don't think straight....... It was a nightmare and thank goodness my buddy , I just got off the phone with, assisted me in getting to the Airport in Puta Cana , to get back to the States. So if you're slightly brave and adventurist, go for it, but I wouldn't advise that for everyone. You don't want to get stuck in a poor country with no money or support system.............

Good Luck,

ESTABAN

M

misterchicago40

HI Thanks Man I dont want for 30 a month,, Hell NO I just get mad when THE Gringos here say 500 a month??? Come on that I can get IN Chicago not in the suburbs where I live as it is 700 and up in THE Chicago Suburbs,, OK Then THE DR is Not Peru Ecuador or even Mexico Fine and dandy but I here the locals That does not mean dirt porr just the locals in general pay 200 a month in Santiago and A Dominican Friend Said I can find places for 150 a month,, All I am asking is like to stay bwith some familes that rent out rooms thats it,, Is it so hard here??? I know I can not get the great deals like in Mexico or South America but paying 500 bucks is insane,, I mean even when I Lived IN LIMA I lived in about 6 differnt places from 30 bucks to 80,, Wow come on I just ask for a sleeping place hang out with my friends and on weekends go out,, I am thinking of living on 200 to 250 Maximum a week in THE DR,, I do not need a car maid or computer,, As Far AS I know I heard from MY DR Friends that at the internet places its a buck an hour more or less,,Again What i am saying is so bad??? NO I am being very realistic here,, THE DR is not Puerto Rico or THE Bronx,, I also am not in to resorts,, OK sure When I arrive I will check out Cabarete,Sosua and Puerto Plata but in the end I want to live in Santiago Santo Domingo or LA VEga,, Thanks for being nice to me,, Post more here if you can...

Mar 2, 2008
So what you are really looking for is people who will be nice to you?

Okay, wait a minute, let me turn my collar around. There, now I'll be nice to you, my son.

There is plenty of advice about the cost of living in SD, Santiago, North Coast, etc. in the archives. If you do a search you will find that much of that information is still appropriate, and the prices current.

There are also classified ads in the local papers. Take a week in a place that you are assured of, such as Hans' place, and spend that week looking for a long-term apartment that fits your needs.

It is difficult for others to interpret what it is you are looking for. Only you can determine if any apartment is suited to your particular ways and means.

You might have to walk the streets for awile to find just the right place, but you seem determined enough where that shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I can foresee is your attitude.

You can't expect people to graciously offer advice, which is based on their own experience, and then angrily dismiss and reject it because it is not what you wanted to hear.

It just doesn't make any sense, my son.

Reactions: Chirimoya
M

misterchicago40

OK DADDY I AM Sorry,, What ypu said is totally right but I have seen guys like the other posts in places cheap like Peru and Guatemala say same thing oh get a 500 dollar place a month,, Why??? I am going here for two reasons get away from the cold and do it cheaper thats it,, But thanks MAN...