Help wanted

londonlion

Dec 11, 2008
Hello,

im a new member and am looking for any good ideas or recommendations for my holiday later this month.
My fiance and i are planning a weeks cruise from dr then a weeks stay at the rui bambu.

I would love to expore dr a bit and as well as doing the tourist thing, i would also like to see the real dr. would this be ok? also what kind of weather can i expect? i have been checking the weather sites weekly, but dont know how much to rely on them.

Also is it best to take dr currency or u.s dollars?:ermm:

as you see, i have afew questions and would welcome any past experiences or knowledge.

Many thanks

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you plan to visit late this month?
i would say you may be late to book,
hotels will be completely overbooked from next week til after easter week in PC.
in case of the weather we are in the rough time of the year now, many nighttime and some daytime showers per week are usual, ocean is on a 4-6 ft average, winds on the east coast around 12 knots as the usual average, bit down or low changing often of course.
in case of currency you can bring dollars for the tourist areas, everywhere accepted, if you travel throu the island take the needed pesos out of a ATM with your credit card, no dollars exchange there.
have fun
Mike

Feb 7, 2007
if you travel throu the island take the needed pesos out of a ATM with your credit card, no dollars exchange there.

You can actually change dollars in Vimenca and Caribe Express anywhere in the country... and even many campos have Vimenca.

Also, many local stores/supermarkets in the campos also double as exchange houses.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
while things run kinda price high till january...i highly doubt things are "sold out" If anything the NY Times ran an article how they are giving deals in the carib and the D.R. because to the tight global economy.

in regards to exchanging your dollars for pesos. I normaly exchange a couple of hundred dollars here in the US first. It is not a lot of money...but at least i dont have to run to a cambio right away. just walk around and you will see who has the best rates for exchange.

whatever you do...do NOT exchange your dollars for pesos at the airport. I also find that it is not good to exchange at your hotel. They tend to add a fee that is additional to your ordinary cambio.

Re: ATMS. i have never had a problem...(although i have heard some horror stories). Bring what you think you need in cash and avoid ATMS. #1 you get socked with a high international fee. If you DO go to an ATM...go during the day and at a place with security guards....and get your butt back to where you are staying!

I've never had a problem in the D.R. I dont travel in fear...but i DO travel wisely.

londonlion

Dec 11, 2008
Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

I already have my trip booked, so dont have to worry about getting a hotel. Going on a crusie for the 1st week, then staying in pc.

Once again, thanks for the advice

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
while things run kinda price high till january...i highly doubt things are "sold out" If anything the NY Times ran an article how they are giving deals in the carib and the D.R. because to the tight global economy.

in regards to exchanging your dollars for pesos. I normaly exchange a couple of hundred dollars here in the US first. It is not a lot of money...but at least i dont have to run to a cambio right away. just walk around and you will see who has the best rates for exchange.

whatever you do...do NOT exchange your dollars for pesos at the airport. I also find that it is not good to exchange at your hotel. They tend to add a fee that is additional to your ordinary cambio.

Re: ATMS. i have never had a problem...(although i have heard some horror stories). Bring what you think you need in cash and avoid ATMS. #1 you get socked with a high international fee. If you DO go to an ATM...go during the day and at a place with security guards....and get your butt back to where you are staying!

I've never had a problem in the D.R. I dont travel in fear...but i DO travel wisely.

right, like that you never need to carry a larger amount of cash(dollars or pesos doesn't matter) around.
i use my master card several times a month at different ATM's here in the PC area since many years, never had a problem.
the bank fees on such depend on your cardprovider/bank, what deal you have with them. in my case it is a simple 28 years old mastercard connected to a german bank account, i pay 1.85% for taking cash out of a machine plus 1% for the use in a non european country, plus 3 euros per transaction. so when i use it i always take the max amount per transaction, that keeps the total fee very low, much lower than a transfer with vimenca or paying exchange fees at the cambios/banks and you still do not need to carry much cash around. never take your credit card to it's monthly limit, always leave some emergency value left on it just in case i.e. of an accident or such, when you are travelling around and you need med assistance a credit card is the best insurance to get the right treatment, most insurances for foreign countries require that you prepay the bills and get reimbursed afterwards when back home.
there are worldwide many horrorstories out there about frauds with credit cards, that isn't new, i've been til today here in the country lucky/save since 14 years now, got once scammed in Colorado/US and that been 17 years or such ago, my credit card provider reimbursed me the money hassle free on that case anyways. for my own security i check my creditcard statement everyday online, so just in case some fraud occurs i could complain right away and not weeks later when i receive the written monthly card statement.
happy travel
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
to the exchange points,
yes, airports and very most hotels give incredible low exchange rates,
you will miss between 4-10 % of your money when exchanging there.
use the "casa de Cambio" on the streets, you find them everywhere on the island, doesn't matter where you visit.
yesterday i got 35.25 pesos per US$,
the exchange rate is since a while very stable, so count on 35 pesos per dollar and you are fine.
of course you can always check the actual rates here on DR1,
bordmembers post their given exchangerates nearly daily.
Mike

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
exactly. Sure i do carry some pesos etc in the DR as i do here in NYC. Just in the DR i tend to get myself back to wherever and only walk around with slightly more than i think i will need for the day.

Not trying to scare anyone. But if i take out 20,000 pesos...i get my arse back to my room right away..then i go back out with what i think i will need.

was just trying to say...dont live in fear...but also dont invite problems.