Diving in Samana

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Any recomendations for dive shops in the area would be appreciated. I heard there was a "top American owned dive school" that teaches "advanced Nitrox". I'm interested in this certification as I've never heard of it. I arrive on the 20th and will be there for 4 weeks.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Can not help you with the Top American dive school but curious about your getting certified for something you've never heard of.....

lt

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Well I've heard of Nitrox diving....I have that certification. A supposed dive expert told me of this "top American school" his kid went to in Samana and got this "advanced Nitrox" certification. I'm always interested in learning more....

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
It's a TDI certification, oxygen > 40% used as a decompression gas. Can't think of any other diveschool than Pirates Cove doing it. PADI, PDIC etc etc etc are probably not doing it since decompression dives are "illegal" by "inhouse" standards.

And BTW it's a book called "Shadow Divers" worth reading.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Pirates cove moved to Samana a while back and they do all the technical diving. Not sure if they are still there though. They were run by a German guy called Uwe.

Matilda

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
It's a TDI certification, oxygen > 40% used as a decompression gas. Can't think of any other diveschool than Pirates Cove doing it. PADI, PDIC etc etc etc are probably not doing it since decompression dives are "illegal" by "inhouse" standards.

And BTW it's a book called "Shadow Divers" worth reading.

I've done "tech diving" for years. Using O2 as a deco gas. (Tom Mount and I go way back in Florida diving) Deco diving has become the norm for technical courses with the agencies. I've met one of the guys Shadow Divers is about....great stuff.

Thanks for the info all.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I've done "tech diving" for years. Using O2 as a deco gas. (Tom Mount and I go way back in Florida diving) Deco diving has become the norm for technical courses with the agencies. I've met one of the guys Shadow Divers is about....great stuff.

Thanks for the info all.

Ah so you're probably not doing a TDI course then I guess, perhaps better off sticking to the competition..haah just joking:devious::devious:

I came across one of the Shadow Divers website a while ago, here

Cheerios

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
(Tom Mount and I go way back in Florida diving) Deco diving has become the norm for technical courses with the agencies. I've met one of the guys Shadow Divers is about....great stuff.

I have all respect for TM, he is using the same name for the same type of training, you knew that. You're trolling.

Last edited: