Delta Air Lines Boeing 747-400 (Ex NW)

migssant

Feb 28, 2007
latam.msnusers.com
The first Boeing 747-400 of the NW & DL merge ...
Delta Air Lines started painting the Northwest Airlines fleet with this cute 744..

B747-400-DeltaAirLines.jpg

B747-400-DeltaAirLines-1.jpg

i thought it will look like wired or rare with the Delta Air Lines scheme.. but it looks pretty good!! :D

do you guys think that some day Delta will bring one of the NW A330 on a DR route??? :bunny::glasses:

bigez1

Jan 5, 2003
Probably Not

Not economically feasible- makes much more sense economically on long haul flights to route flights through the ATL hub and on short haul flights connect through the same hub or connect in MIA. Have flown to DR on Delta from LAX, SEA, and SLC many times-everytime I was routed through ATL or MIA-from JFK using Delta, flights are either direct or connect through ATL. Matter of corporate economics- On the other hand, have flown on NWA from DTW to HNL and both outbound and inbound was aboard a 747-400-;)

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
It would be great to have the 747 on the ATL-SDQ route, but I understand the economics of it. Too bad, with my elite status I wonder if there would have been enough room in 1st Class for an upgrade. ha ha ha

Sep 19, 2005
has a 747 ever landed at POP STI, or SDQ?

because on my first trip there ever with friends I am almost sure the plane out in front of us that we were boarding, ( and they were saying was over booked) was a hump necked 747!!

there was a huge amount of people on that flight....close to if not more than 500!!

I think the airline was Delta...but I could be wriong about that.

anyone? this was back in 2002

bad bob

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Corsair flies 747's to POP all the time, for charter flights to/from Paris Orly. But the configuration of these planes are very high density. Nearly 600 passengers

These planes would never fly to the Caribbean from the US when there are far more fuel efficient aircraft. This plane has 4 engines! Right now, Delta/Northwest only uses these for flights to Asia where there are high yield passengers (fares starting at $1000 for the cheapest seats in coach and going way up for Business class). That's the only way the airline can justify these huge gas guzzlers. US-Caribbean flights are generally low-yield.

Besides, Delta has never had that big of a share in the market for US-DR flights. Could they get 500 people on a single flight? I'm sure if the demand was there, Delta would use their larger aircraft, but they are just using 737-800's and some 757's

I'm sure in the future, you'll find that in general, planes to the DR are getting smaller, not larger. (from the US anyway). What happens when the A300's are gone? AA may replace a few routes with the occasional 767, (which is still smaller than the A300), but they only have so many of them, and most are used for transcontinental and European flights. So many routes will go to 757

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
has a 747 ever landed at POP STI, or SDQ?

because on my first trip there ever with friends I am almost sure the plane out in front of us that we were boarding, ( and they were saying was over booked) was a hump necked 747!!

there was a huge amount of people on that flight....close to if not more than 500!!

I think the airline was Delta...but I could be wriong about that.

anyone? this was back in 2002

bad bob
Delta only use 747 back in the 90's after merger with Pam Am.
Maybe was la Guagua Aerea " Tower Air "

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
well Aeromar almost made it with a B747-200 (HI-756CA).
SDQ to Madrid, but the route was suspended 5 months later due to heavy competition with Iberia.

bigez1

Jan 5, 2003
ahhhh yes- non US carriers- now that is a bit different- the possibilities certainly exist. especially for those carriers still using the 747, though I am not sure how many of them actually fly into SDQ-such Korea Air, JAL, Lufthansa, ect.