Oil spill along North Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomiczombie

Dec 16, 2008
Anybody know about an oil slick in/near Cabarete today? Lotsa black crude in the water and on the beach. Just got back from a walk and feet are covered in the thick goo.

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
oil

Theres oil on the beach out by Ocean Manor Resort and Cabarete East too. Anyone know what happened yet?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Did anybody alarm the Ministerio de Tourismo and the Ministerio de Medioambiente (we got one, don't we?), or know how to contact them?

I think that would be the first direct step, along with the newspapers help making it less easy to "overlook".
... J-D.

M

Markf128

Dammm!

I hope the mess is not that bad. Man, this news really upsets me. Are the local officials going to do something about it?

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
No news yet here in Cabarete. I notified the President of the Cabarete Busineess Association and am waiting for word. 2 clients returned from the beach today with oil on their feet, this is terrible !

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Terrible but not surprising.
If you get oil on your feet kerosene will take it off.
I have been surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

beachbob

Apr 9, 2007
Oil ashore at Perla Marina as well

Yesterday at approximately 3 PM I unfortunately stepped into some oil which had come ashore in a small cove just west of the main Perla Marina beach. Consequently the problem seems to stretch from at least Perla Marine to East Cabarete.

Has anyone discovered oil between Perla Marina and Sosua?

Government officials need to be informed of this situation. If anyone knows who to contact and how to contact them, please do so. Thanks.

BeachBob

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Water Activities

This is terrible....hopefully it gets cleaned up soon. How is this affecting kiting and wind surfing.....

atomiczombie

Dec 16, 2008
Clean up crew consisting of two guys with rakes and brushes were seen outside Magnifico at 8 am this morning cleaning up the goo that washed ashore. Only two. Didn't venture to other beaches yet. There was alot of goo along the shoreline as far as I could see just in front of Magnifico.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
In Sosua beaches no oil spill so far. But more than normal basura from el Tablon.

Needs to be under follow-up.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Does anyone have information about the plane that went down.
I recall within the last week a plane leaving the DR for Turks or some other small island that apparently went down into the ocean.
Can anyone substantiate this?
It could from the crash.

May 28, 2008
We have notified the company in Florida at 8 AM that is contracted to clean up any spill in the Caribbean. They have contacted all the appropriate DR gov people. What we DO NOT WANT is CNN making one of their typical horror stories...and they will! You can kiss goodbye to tens of thousands of jobs, at least a years worth of tourism etc.

And the two guys by Magnifico are paid for by them.

But please, no PRESS! This thread on DR! may already result in some people changing plans....

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Of course the environment is a concern...but so is the economy if everything has to shut down during the christmas season.

Any damage to the fragile Dominican ecology is hundreds times harder on economy than any other kind of damage. Who needs DR without cristal clear water and beach? Tourists? Expats? Who will pay for beach front properties? This country can be permanently destroyed in just one night. Just one more "Exxon Valdez".

Oil Spill Pictures, Exxon-Valdez, Pollution - National Geographic

http://www.adn.com/evos/pgs/ev_photos.html

(I heard that Sosua Bay is about to be opened for refuelling, repair work, cleanning of large ocean cruise and other ships)

Status
Not open for further replies.