travel from SDQ to Las Terrenas

mbrill

Sep 26, 2008
We are a big group (8 adults and 10 kids), and need to get from SD airport to Las Terrenas. What are our options? If we hire taxis there, how much would that cost? How about taking a bus? Is Caribe Tours the best option? How much is it? How long should it take by bus? Does the bus go all the way to LT? Thanks!!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Why don't you rent a small bus. Then you take the new road that is about 15 mins west along the Las Americas highway. I see National has a van for 12 -- probably two vans.

Caribe Tours will not take you to Las Terrenas, just to Sanchez. From there you have to take a small bus to Las Terrenas.

The rental car will come in handy when you are in Samana.

Check out National Car Rental // Dominican Republic // Welcome

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Why don't you rent a small bus. Then you take the new road that is about 15 mins west along the Las Americas highway. I see National has a van for 12 -- probably two vans.

Caribe Tours will not take you to Las Terrenas, just to Sanchez. From there you have to take a small bus to Las Terrenas.

The rental car will come in handy when you are in Samana.

Check out National Car Rental // Dominican Republic // Welcome

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
We are a big group (8 adults and 10 kids), and need to get from SD airport to Las Terrenas. What are our options? If we hire taxis there, how much would that cost? How about taking a bus? Is Caribe Tours the best option? How much is it? How long should it take by bus? Does the bus go all the way to LT? Thanks!!!

If you are going from airport directly to LT,you have only the taxi option..or fly...but if you go to Santo Domingo you have a few.There are guaguas going to LT every day from the Samana bus terminal on Baharona,next to Plaza Lama,starting at 730 am,11am,140pm and I think another at 3pm.
cost is around 300 pesos,and time is about 21/2 to 3 hours,using the new highway.The phone number is 809-687-1470,only spanish.You still have to get to SD from airport,and do not know how much that would cost.
bob

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Bythe way,Caribe does not go to LT,only Sanchez and Samana...you would have to again get bus to LT,and more money...
bob

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
IMO the most economical and convenient course would be for you to hire a driver with a van large enough to accommodate your group to pick you up at the airport and take you directly from there to LT via the new highway. The trip using the new highway should take less than 2 hours and will get you all the way to LT. Taxis are just too expensive. The Caribe Tour will take you 4 hours leaving from the capitol and will only get you to Sanchez where you will be required to get a taxi or guagua for the remainder of the trip. Moreover, I just can't imagine how you would manage that large a group on a Caribe Tour bus. If you send me a PM I can give you a recommendation for a driver, or you can ask a number of other posters who can help you arrange for an airport pickup. Although I agree with Dolores that a rental will come in handy in Samana, if you have never driven a vehicle in the DR and have no familiarity with the landscape, it will be difficult, even with the new highway.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe there is a plane that goes from SDQ to El Portillo airport in Las Terrenas. It should cost about $70 per person.