The year 2000

J

Joyce

I was having a discussion with my fellow employee here at work and I was telling them that my husband and I with our children are planning on going to the DR for Christmas and New Years of next year. Many said that would not be a good idea, because they felt that the DR may not be prepared for the change over from 1999 to 2000 (as far as computers, radar in the airport, airline computers, etc). Can anyone give me some information about this subject and if they have heard if the Dominican Government is preparing for this. I know here in the USA, there have been people working on this for many years and still do not have it resolved. Any information would be appreciated.

Happy and Healthy New Year to all

Joyce

C

Charlie

I am also considering the same trip but am worried about computer failures also. The police force in my home town in canada has already been told that all personnel will be working that night scince they are expecting power failures, alarm system breakdowns, etc.

Would it be possible for some one from DR1 to seriously look in to this topic for everyone?

Lynda

K

KHARI HAYES

Having family there, I am very concerned about the potential disasters that can happen when 2000 hits. All of america's systems won't be operational, and we are supposed to be a "Superpower". You can just imagine what a "Third World" country like the Dominican Republic will experience. There will be major mishaps. I would not recommend staying there during that time period unless you absolutely have to! Despite all the so-called Y2k compliant rhetoric I have been hearing, I would recommend to anyone stay where you are familiar. You don't want to be the" I told you so" part of anything catastrophic. Especially in aviation. Those aviation technologies are very technical, and most are computer driven. Wait until after New Years then see what happens. Make your plans then.

D

DEE

Re: The year 2000/Joyce

May I suggest that people going for Christmas will be arriving BEFORE the millenium and consequent computer failures (which, as I understand it is common to ALL computers, not just (THIRD WORLD) and will not be leaving until after this happens. As the Dominicans are more than ready, able, and willing to work through any disasters/problems/computer failures, etc. (Much more so than so called 1st world? countries) I would rather be there than here - and will be.

As for the Dominican Republic being a third world country, Canada only need wait a few years, or even, perhaps we should start asking our government now about the blackouts in Quebec, the brownouts in Ontario, and why the H they have not got this computer problem solved already as we are of course, so advanced from this third world country, the Dominican Republic.

D

DEE

And, what happened to Puerto Rico after the storm, with all of America's help, how long did it take them to get power from the Superpower, while the Dominican Republic was up and running in no time.

T

Tom

DEE

With all due respect, you have to understand HOW thae power was resetablished and to what standards in the PR v the DR

Tom

D

DEE

The point is are we talking anthrapods or what? How will it be any worse in the D.R. than in say, United States or Canada. - and by who's standards?

T

Tom

DEE

I don't havr as clue re "Anthrapods or what". I did respond this am, but my message has dissappeared.

By the difference in the restoation I refer to a clip from Jim Hinsch's observations in Boca Chica

>>It is also apparent by looking at the sometimes comical hookups that were made using wire that is too thin, hand-wrapped uninsulated connections, wires that weave through and are wrapped around tree branches, etc. It remains to be seen whether the electric company will ever bother to take these amateur connections down and do it professionally, or how long until a full 110V power is restored throughout. >>>

In PR, new stations, towers lines and proper connections were/are being made. ones that will not subject them to the frequent blackouts that happen in the DR. It's pretty easy to throw a coat of paint on a dilapatated building and say its "OK", but you know you will have constant problems, as thr DR will with electricity, roads etc.

When you mention the difference between the DrR and the US in powers supply, I don't really feel the need to respond, if that is not apparent regarding infrastructure, I could not even attempt to educate you.

For the difference in the two countries, I plan on moving to the "Third World" DR just as soon as I can put things in order.

Third world is simply a metaphor for underdeveloped/developing nations, not an insult. If the term had been coined 100 years ago, I'm sure Europe thought of the US as third World.

Tom

C

Charlie

Only a small fraction of the problem of Y2k will happen during the 1st few days of 2000.

I am sure in the DR there will be problems in many areas. There will also be problems that everyone will blame on the Y2k that will not even pertain to it. However, because most people due not understand the ramifications of the situation, they will have little choice to believe.

A lot of the problems will arise as a direct result of the misinformation and hysteria that will occur especially in the 4th quarter of the year. Many people will withdraw cash from the banks because they fear that the ATM's won't work. Many will buy extra food and supplies like during preparation for a storm. This will create a temporary strain on all goods because of the hoarding that will go on. Medicine and vital supplies may be in very short supply, which could mean that as an example, someone, may not be able to get their insulan or other vital life threatening medicine.

Bottom line: FEAR itself will play a major role in the Y2k situation.

As far as 3rd world countries of emerging economies go, most probably they will fare better because of their lower dependency of use of the computer age and the population that particpates on a daily. (ie: debit and credit cards, ATMs, etc,)

Also, the DR did respond very well after the hurricane, partly because the population has learned to be self sufficient. All business and some houses have their own power supply and some have their own water supply as well for example. They got back on line independently and then in true community spirit helped each other. The outside aid was very helpful indeed, but the residence were on their feet as it arrived.

I would not think that you will have a problem going on vacation in the DR for the New Year. Most Y2k problems will not occur during the first week in January 2000. In fact more problems will occur this year, then the first week of 2000 as computer systems have to acknowledge the year 2000 in bank loans, financing, contracts, and other instruments that the term of each will enter into the year 2000.

______________ ______________

J

Julia

Ya mean we could all get stranded in the Dominican Republic if we go down for New Years 2000? How long will we all be stranded and where do I sign up for the trip???? LOLOLOLOLO..come on guys...life is for the living and as one of our astute posters noted...the DR...particulary in the countryside..won't skip a beat..there's no place I would rather be standed.

Warm Regards, Julia

J

Joyce

I would like to thank everyone for their information. If anyone else have additional information I would really appreciate it. I agree that we all need to keep calm and think about this situation logically. Julia, I wouldnt mind being stuck in the DR either, but when you are responsible for 5 children that need to go to school and when you have a job you need to return to, its not that easy to be stuck.

R

Rene

Re: The year 2000 IS A LEAP YEAR!

Another problem is that fact that the year 2000 is also a leap year, which means that things may also occur well into the year.

As a Emergency care worker - we have been told that we cannot take leave at the end of dec. 99 and Jan.2000. Most police, fire and EMS agencies are folowing suit. Canada and most cold climate countries may have a problem for a few days if power goes out ( and it already has in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec ) Fact is that planes will not fall out of the sky, but your bookings may be affected. Sun will rise just like the day before.

People's anticipation and over-reaction may stimulate hysteria. under Countries who have not fixed their system may in fact negatively affect those who are connected with them. The system is going to be only as strong as it's weakest link!

Kind regards to all Rene Now let me go book my flight to DR! Banana mama's yes!

D

DEE

Of course, the problem is, we disagree on the basic premise of "developing", so there is no reference point and as much as you didn't understand the reference to anthropod, I haven't an inkling what "restoation" is. Rather than attempting to educate this "ignorant person", perhaps we could just call it a "culture difference". I am sorry that the Dominican Republic will be allowing immigrants like you into their country. And, of course, why on earth would you want to move there, when the U.S. is so superior in every way?

T

Tom

DEE

I see why you continue to not post your email

You have me completely confused. My question about Anttrhapods or whatever was legitimate, if it was a typo and you thought I was making fun of spelling of anthropods, you are incorrect and I apoligize If you thought it was an insult.

As for my remark about restoration, I suppose it was your way of trying to be rude, but given the source, it stings very little.

Where you infer I think the US is "Superior in every way," is again, a product of your imagination. I'm not going to debate infrastructure of the US v DR, it's a waste

And yes, I hope to be a contributing member of society in the DR, not someone whose existence appears to be that of simply making baseless criticisms of others.

Tom