Where Is A Great Restaurant in Santo Domingo To Get Grouper

Michael0721

Feb 8, 2008
Looking for a restaurant in Santo Domingo that serves whole fish, preferably a grouper - eyes, head, mouth, teeth and all!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Pesca entero I believe is what you're looking for....Mero is what I have been told is grouper in the DR, however....I've never seen a whole grouper served....but then, I've doubted what I've been told is grouper in the DR to be such....at least not like the thick, flakey grouper I'm used to shooting and eating here in Florida....all that said, the mero frito at Meson de Luis is really good (even if it's not "grouper). Historically the portions have been large fillets. You'll most likely find "pargo" which the Cubans call snappers served head and tail on.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Pesca entero I believe is what you're looking for....Mero is what I have been told is grouper in the DR, however....I've never seen a whole grouper served....but then, I've doubted what I've been told is grouper in the DR to be such....at least not like the thick, flakey grouper I'm used to shooting and eating here in Florida....all that said, the mero frito at Meson de Luis is really good (even if it's not "grouper). Historically the portions have been large fillets. You'll most likely find "pargo" which the Cubans call snappers served head and tail on.

Most of the "mero" here is imported sea bass fillets from the far east like Vietnam and the fillets are pinkish and quite thin in comparison to the thick, pearl-white flaky fillets from places like Peru.

Lots of red snappers though, known here as "chillo" and these are served usually whole, heads, tails fins and all, grilled "a la plancha" or deep fried. Dorado too (Mahi-Mahi).

"Sully" is a great fish restaurant, though not a "fisherman's" restaurant on the sea front. It's on Avenida Charles Summer, near the Pricesmart store, west of Av. Winston Churchill. It's quite a smart place, if a little "retro" in style and ambience - waiters in tuxedos and black bow ties - but really good fish and seafood, attentive but not oppressive service and reasonably priced too

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Most of the "mero" here is imported sea bass fillets from the far east like Vietnam and the fillets are pinkish and quite thin in comparison to the thick, pearl-white flaky fillets from places like Peru.
That explains a lot! When Florida Fish & Wildlife inspected 200 Florida restaurants supposedly serving "grouper"....99% of it ended up coming from boxes imported from Asia....and NONE of it was grouper! Most was Basa or Tra, fresh water catfish from the Mekong Delta.

Pictures on this link show what the fish fillets look like http://www.fl-seafood.com/consumers/grouper_substitution.htm...and I believe I've been getting Vietnamese Catfish in the DR! ha ha ha

It was so bad here, the Hooters chain of "fine restaurants" was forced to start calling it's "grouper sandwich"....."Grouper's cousin"........price is a tell tale sign, "real grouper" is $17USD per pound here.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Heres another vote for "Sully's" restaurant on Charles Sumner (directly in front of Pricesmart)... One of the best restaurants in the capital if you like seafood. Prices are very reasonable and service is top notch.

Make sure they're open before heading there since its not open all day. I think they do lunch time, close, and then reopen around 6 or 7pm.

From the reactions I have seen from the rest of my seafood loving family is that the whole fried chillo is excellent.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Whole Grouper (Mero) can be found all over the place, just look for pescado entero. Adrian Tropical makes a pretty nice one. pescado entero de boca chica means fried and pescado entero de samana is prepared in a coconut sauce, universally, not just at Adrian Tropical. Red snapper (chillo), and parrotfish (papagayo) are also popular served whole.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Another one for Sully! Never ordered a whole grouper there thou. Haven't seen whole grouper in El Nacional either.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Wuuuuuao ! SoCuban.....Do I see snook (the ones with the black lateral line)....those are restricted in SoFlo......good eating. Man that was some great pix of some real seafood!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Yea the snook in the pics are way under the limit and out of season for Florida.

The best fish I?ve had so far were in Samana and Playa Salinas. Right off the boats and cooked on the spot!

RD$300 for a whole, cooked red snapper, fried plantains, potato salad and a small Presidente.

That would cost me around US$35 anywhere in the Palm Beaches.