Parhocial vs Public Schools in the Dominican Republic

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Hola,

Can someone tell me what are the requirement for a US Citizen to be able to apply for a Teaching or Administrative position in the Dominican Republic school system? Inconjunction I would also like to know the following listed below.

1- How much of a Difference is their in Salary Between Catholic and Public Schools

2- What would be the starting Salary for a US Citizen apply for a Teaching/Administrative Position with the Dominincan Republic School system

3- Are the school semester all year long, where as in the US thier only 10 Months.

4- What would be the correct protocal, On how to apply for teaching/Administrative position, with the Dominican Republic School System.

5- How are teachers paid : monthly, Semi-Monthly, Biweekly or Weekly.

6- Does the Dominican Republic have a Board of Education? if not how is it refer to.

7- Is thier a big difference in receiving an education from a Parohcial school vs a Public school in the dominican Republic.

You assistance will be greatly apprecaited in this matter.:cheeky:

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off, check your grammar/spelling mistakes in this note. If it were an application, I do not think it would pass the first person to read it in the HR Department...

Hola,

Can someone tell me what are the requirement for a US Citizen to be able to apply for a Teaching or Administrative position in the Dominican Republic school system? Inconjunction I would also like to know the following listed below.

1- How much of a Difference is their in Salary Between Catholic and Public Schools? mark perhaps?

2- What would be the starting Salary for a US Citizen apply for a Teaching/Administrative Position with the Dominincan Republic School system? mark again

3- Are the school semester all year long, where as in the US thier only 10 Months.

4- What would be the correct protocal, On how to apply for teaching/Administrative position, with the Dominican Republic School System.

5- How are teachers paid : monthly, Semi-Monthly, Biweekly or Weekly.

6- Does the Dominican Republic have a Board of Education? if not how is it refer to.

7- Is thier a big difference in receiving an education from a Parohcial school vs a Public school in the dominican Republic.

You assistance will be greatly apprecaited in this matter.:cheeky:

Next: You do not have a snowball's chance of ever teaching in the Dominican public school system.
a) Do you speak perfect "Dominican" Spanish???
b) Are you politically connected>?
c) Do you think you can live on $600 a month (Max)? Unless you are connected...but you are not.

You seem to put an inordinate amount of importance to the fact that you are a U.S. citizen. While this is fine, it amounts to a hill of beans in this case. Actually, Cuban, French or British might be better in these times...

There are no such things as Parochial Schools in the DR. There are private, and private Catholic schools that vary in their salary caps. All require Spanish; a very few require English.

Could you find work in one of them>? Perhaps.
There are job fairs that offer overseas placements, and a few of the DR private schools do recruit in these events. By comparison, the salaries are usually bare-bones but livable...

Work on your writing skill, please.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uh, Wud? That's "snowball's" chance, possessive...hehehe.

I got tired of questioning the lack of ? marks....

And, I did not "edit", I just pointed out the most obvious errors...lots of syntax mistakes, too. It just seemed to be so poorly written for it to be by someone really educated and who wanted a position in a school that would pay a living wage...like Carol Morgan or New Horizons...

HB

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Parochials schools VS Public School

Sorry about the spell check error
I was rushing when I type this thread, and when I realize thier where error it was to late to check.........All I had asked was could someone point me in the right direction.

1 I am Fluent in Spanish

2- What do you mean I dont have a Snowball chance of Teaching in the Domincan Republic? I just received a PM, where it states that the DR have a high demand for English Teacher from Abroad?:glasses:

3- If I post a Thread and you dont have anything Constructive to say, then Dont Respond. The same as if your watching Television. If you dont like what's on you change the channel.

Last edited:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
First off, check your grammar/spelling mistakes in this note. If it were an application, I do not think it would pass the first person to read it in the HR Department...

Next: You do not have a snowball's chance of ever teaching in the Dominican public school system.
c) Do you think you can live on $600 a month (Max)? Unless you are connected...but you are not.

You seem to put an inordinate amount of importance to the fact that you are a U.S. citizen. While this is fine, it amounts to a hill of beans in this case. Actually, Cuban, French or British might be better in these times...

There are no such things as Parochial Schools in the DR. There are private, and private Catholic schools that vary in their salary caps. All require Spanish; a very few require English.

There are job fairs that offer overseas placements, and a few of the DR private schools do recruit in these events. By comparison, the salaries are usually bare-bones but livable...

HB

1- Here in American Parohcial Means Catholic school.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Are you excluding other than Catholic private schools?
My wife was offered a position teaching in Jarabacoa at a non-Catholic private school. The school teaches in English.
She has 35 years experience and is certified in six states. The offer was for $300.00 USD per month.
(Spell check does not correct grammar. There and Their have different meanings. Work on your writing skills. I do not think you have a possible chance of employment based on the skills displayed in your post.)

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Parochial vs Public School in the Dominican Republic

1- Here in American Parochial Means Catholic school, which relates to a church parish

1- I just received another PM and it states " No were is it written in the DR Government" that if a Citizen from Abroad wants to teach in the Dominincan Republic.

1- it is mandatory that he or she must speak spanish.

2-Thier is no such thing of needing to be politically connected inorder to teach in the DR.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Parochail vs Public School

Are you excluding other than Catholic private schools?
My wife was offered a position teaching in Jarabacoa at a non-Catholic private school. The school teaches in English.
She has 35 years experience and is certified in six states. The offer was for $300.00 USD per month.
(Spell check does not correct grammar. There and Their have different meanings. Work on your writing skills. I do not think you have a possible chance of employment based on the skills displayed in your post.)

As I had mention earlier in My Post...........I was rushing when I posted my thread and when I realize thier was error, it was to late to check.

Anyway

1- I very much qualified. I taught 7th and 8th Mathematics for 5 Years at Blessesd Sacrament Grammar School in Newark, NJ here in the USA.

2- I have excellent References from "The Archdioces of Newark", which runs all the Catholic school in my Jurisdiction.

3- I hold 2 degrees

4- My Employment background now is the area of Human Resource Managment.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008

HB

Thanks for doing a Spell check for me....I really appreciate it:cheeky:

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008

HB

Sorry about the spell check error
I was rushing when I type this thread, and when I realize thier where error it was to late to check.........All I had asked was could someone point me in the right direction.

1 I am Fluent in Spanish

2- What do you mean I dont have a Snowball chance of Teaching in the Domincan Republic? I just received a PM, where it states that the DR have a high demand for English Teacher from Abroad?

3- If I post a Thread and you dont have anything Constructive to say, then Dont Respond. The same as if your watching Television. If you dont like what's on you change the channel.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
1- I just received another PM and it states " No were is it written in the DR Government" that if a Citizen from Abroad wants to teach in the Dominincan Republic.

2-Thier is no such thing of needing to be politically connected inorder to teach in the DR.

It is a pity the person PMing you doesn't come out & post publically. Personally I'd have more faith in HB's almost 50 year knowledge of the Dominican education system. On top of that he has a lot of contacts so if you want his help, probably best to be civil. Might be too late of course, in that he might have 'changed the channel' :cheeky:.

I've just realised your problem - English isn't your first language is it? I think if you were lucky enough to find a job teaching English, the school would prefer either a native English speaker or a fluent Dominican teacher. I agree with drtampa - your understanding of grammar and syntax in the English language would currently disqualify you from teaching it. But of course you can always improve it. Good luck.

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008

HB

I just received another PM and it states " No were is it written in the DR Government" that if a Citizen from Abroad wants to teach in the Dominincan Republic.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) You never said you were looking to teach English. Almost anyone can do that, if you are a native speaker, that is.
2) So far, your posts do reflect a poor relationship with English grammar and syntax.
3) If you have the credentials and the recommendation letter from the archdiocese (see, that is how it is spelled), I would try and make contact with the major Catholic schools. At least it is an "in" for you in some schools...First you go to the bishop and show the letter and ask him if he can help you..Then you go to the different schools.
4) However, you cannot live on what they would pay you.
5) Of course you don't really have to be politically connected, but you won't find a job if you are not...just reality. Oh, are you a Nobel winner in Math? Then you could teach at one of the better schools, perhaps, but never in a public school. Pay is lousy, conditions worse--just a fact of live.
6) I AM trying to help you avoid making a decision that will come back and bite you.

Reality says that IF you have degrees in Mathmatics + Education, and speak good Spanish, even passable Spanish, you could probably teach at the university level here, and make a living--barely.

I promise not to make fun of your answer...

HB

Oh yes, I went to parochial schools all my life....nuns, nuns and nuns...just up the road from Newark in Bergen County...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002

Just a few of what I was pointing out.
Regarding (1) Okay, tell me how you are going to teach anything without Spanish--except English, of course.
Regarding (2) Of course not, but try and get a job in the government without a friend...in the party...

I am just giving you the situation as it is...Try Carol Morgan School, Abraham Lincoln School, New Horizons or Santiago Christian School....they do pay a living wage...maybe you can find a job there...

Good luck

HB

Gersen40

Dec 11, 2008
Just a few of what I was pointing out.
Regarding (1) Okay, tell me how you are going to teach anything without Spanish--except English, of course.
Regarding (2) Of course not, but try and get a job in the government without a friend...in the party...

I am just giving you the situation as it is...Try Carol Morgan School, Abraham Lincoln School, New Horizons or Santiago Christian School....they do pay a living wage...maybe you can find a job there...

Good luck

HB

This was All I had asked for in the beginning.