nice cheap hotel in boca chica

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
i'll be in boca chica this week and am looking for a nice but inexpensive chica friendly hotel in boca chica. i remember reading about some a while back but i can't find the thread. any suggestions would be helpful. rw

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I've had good luck with Hotel Garant. They have a web site if you google it. Last time I was there they still had not started accepting credit cards. That's common in B C.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
candil was always my favorite. costalunga is around the corner and garant is closer to the beach and calle duarte....

COTTON

Oct 4, 2005
The suites at Garant are nice, the only bad thing is you don't have the hill to climb like at El Candil.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I stayed at Hotel Europa a few times. The rooms were okay. Not all have A/c so make sure you ask. If you want to bring "friends" to the room, it is no problem. It is also very close to the public beach. Parking is limited. When I was there 2 years ago, I paid 50 USD per night cash for the best room in the place; top floor, balcony with view of ocean, A/c, cable etc.). There is also a restaurant on ground level that makes a decent cup of coffey.

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
thanks

thank for the replies. i research more since i posted and found most of your suggestions were good. i think i'll try europa first since its on the beach. again thanks for the replies, this is what makes this site so valuable. t

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.................i think i'll try europa first since its on the beach................

Whoooa,,,,,,,slow down. Europa is not ON the beach, but close to the beach. I honestly believe you will be making a very bad choice. I drove past there today and let's just say it does not look like a nice place to stay.

If you insist on being ON the beach try Hotel Zapata. As previously stated the best three choices would be Costa Lunga, Candill, or Garant.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Candil is always my fav...with costalunga a close second.

Two major differences. Candil has a nice public and pool area and it can be very social (which i like). If you prefer more privacy for whatever reasons...costalunga is better for that.

There is quite a hill to get to either hotel.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
cant seem to find the usual web site for costalunga. I ususally like it there (like i said..it is only second to El Candil)...but things were not running very well last year when i stayed there.

Candil has raised their prices...so you might want to check out garrent. Has anyone stayed at the Calypso? Right around the corner from candil? it looks like a decent alternative.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I have to agree. I checked out the Europa last time I was there in Octiber and was not impressed at all - it is garish- like something more out of a circa-1962 eastern European hotel -all concrete and sparse- the rooms were ok I guess for the money- but I found it well-worn and not somewhere I could or would want to sleep comfortably. The Candil is nice- it has a pool and is more pleasant but small apartment -type rooms,with a kitchen and fridge and sink etc etc- by far a better choice - and you are not harrassed all the time by the local chicas- unless that;s what you wanted? I actually stay with people renting out accommodation these days , who actually own apartments but are away- check out mundo anuncio ( google it) and you might find a nice place. I started renting for the weeks I go there from a private individual for 120 Euros per week an almost beach front property, air- conditioned, washing machine, TV cable , stere0 unit, DVD player- and all the comforts of home- two blocks form the beach.. there are some bargains if you look - sometimes the hotels can be deceiving on the web, Good lu