Christmas Pardons

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The President's Xmas pardons list includes Vivian Lubrano of Baninter fame & 4 of the Plan Renove people including Antonio Marte & Pedro Franco Bad?a. Apparently there are conditions set for pardons like half the sentence to have been completed & exemplary conduct in prison. El Nuevo Diario says neither condition was met in the case of Vivian Lubrano because of course she was in a clinic not a jail.
LF indulta a Vivian Lubrano, y cuatro del Plan Renove

Mar 2, 2008
What a wonderful thing, Christmas pardons.

It sounds so charitable, and what a perfect cover for releasing cronies and underlings.

Were there any legitimate pardons, such as women locked up for protecting themselves, or anyone sentenced to jail for other dubious reasons?

Interesting information, Lambada.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, this is headline news. Huchi Lora and his partner, Nuria Piera resigned from the Pardons Commission because they did not even know these people were going to get pardoned...they were NOT on the original list.
Cronyism at its worst.
Antonio Marte has a multimillion peso fortune..."as a syndicate leader"

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wanna bet that Viv aka 'Gold Mercedes Lady' makes a miraculous recovery from her 'illness'?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
She'll be dancing her ass off come New Years...another terrible message to the Dominican people, as if they needed one.:ermm:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
This is nothing new in Political cycles...

I'm just happy that no hardcore criminals got a "second" chance to commit their crimes to our citizens anew...

If one was to revisit the plan renove and fraud cases in detail, it would be easy to understand that the actual masterminds are not the ones provided the "pardons" but still roaming about as if they were angels...

The DR is only an emerging country with a weak form of "Democracy", one sadly based on another model that continues to provide little backbone in those terms as of lately.

Most people don't even understand that the DR was always an autocracy. Our elections were shams and power was consolidated via military force.

The US continued their "democracy" plan for LA as they did to ensure that control over the radical elements from the Soviets, never made their base there.

If you're really disgusted at the pardons, I would like to know how you would classify this:

? Former Rep. Randall "Duke" Cunningham, Republican from California, who was convicted of receiving bribes.
? Publishing executive Conrad Black, who was found guilty of fraud.
? Former junk bold salesman Michael Milken.
? Former WorldCom CEO Bernard Ebbers, convicted of accounting fraud.

That's just a short of the people granted pardons by the President of the democratic model we follow as an emerging young democracy.

If you were to add all the people pardoned in all those other democracies, like the countries of the EU, Asian, etc... The picture gets even worst...

Like I said, the people receiving the pardons are not the masterminds behind the facts for which they're given the jail sentences. The gov knows this, so too many people that know the actual facts on the matter.

Grating pardons in this period is an exclusive power of the Presidency, anything that the people behind the board today excusing themselves in disgust of not having been inform of any of the pardons, is simply ignorance.

One should be happy that at least some people are getting the chance to spend some time with family and loved ones this xmass.

Pardons seem to be a thing that only Gods should be able to provide from the ideals of men. Everyone deserves a second chance, always that they can contribute positively to our people.

Why not rejoice on pardons being given this xmass?
No matter the political or animosity involved?

A killer was not set free! A drug dealer, a child molester, a robbery expert, etc...

I'm a strong believer of reforming people and having those found guilty of the types of crimes of their sentences, to repay their debt to the citizens of the nation to the last dime. I don't think jail is a place for all crimes, some maybe indeed...

Where's your xmass spirit on having some people that don't represent danger to our kids and fellow Dominicans, receiving a Presidential pardon?

Have some eggnog (sorry!) have some ponche and let us be merry on the holidays!

Merry Xmass to all!!!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
PICHARDO, please, enough of the Leonel and the PLD can do no wrong spin, at least until the end of 2008.

yawn.jpg

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
white collar crimes

Most pardons over the world are for white collar crimes. Greedy rich people stealing. I expect the world would not be in the $$ crisis we are in without these crimes. These crimes do not involve violence, per se, but they are dangerous and contribute to future crime rates from the people left desperate for $$$.
Most pardons are given to rich people. In these cases bull**** walks and money talks.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
PS
I worked for Worldcom when the Bernie Evers scandall went down and I lost my job as did many other good people. That is when I moved to the DR so maybe I should thank him?????!!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
PICHARDO, please, enough of the Leonel and the PLD can do no wrong spin, at least until the end of 2008.

yawn.jpg

Robert, I don't condone the pardons as they are, but I just presented the facts that the DR is not alone in granting these pardons as demonstrated elsewhere where democracies are highly regarded unlike ours (or so many think).

First of all, I'm not a PLD fan nor ever been a fan of the 'Pa lante movement and campaign. I'm however, a firm believer that our country needs to push forward in many fronts if we have any hope of leaving a path to our kids of a better tomorrow, today.

I don't back any political party/gov but the actions which will get us closer to those aims.

If I come across in many respects as a party affiliate, as odd as that may be given my condition, so be it! :tired:

I support the Metro b/c is the logical choice to move our congested streets to a better flow that doesn't reek fumes each day. Just as the partial operations provided, the people are elated to be able to travel fast and safely within the city. Very few people used the "Lord's of the country" rickety wrecks when the Metro was the closest choice to them.

Political corruption is a product of Democracy. Just as proven time and time again, the best example of a strong democracy fails the corruption impermeability you come to demand from a developing country like ours.

I ask you which of my statements before here is fact less? Void of actual and sensible information regarding the issue at hand?

I care not one bit for Fernandez's as a Politician, but I care a whole lot about the legacy and present effects his policies develops in our country.

I don't come to the support of the gov, but the actual facts and disregards of our position while being compared to 1st world counties and democracies when it serves some posters baseless arguments.

I choose veracity over hearsay, facts way before self-appointed expert's opinions. Granting Presidential pardons where such democracies apply is not bulletproof to abuses.
Each and every administration will have their evils, but I take the good with arms wide open to achieve what we must in the present, instead of hoping for a better tomorrow from the back rows and pillows...

Merry Xmass!!!! :cheeky:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I ask you which of my statements before here is fact less? Void of actual and sensible information regarding the issue at hand?

Here ya go..

? Former Rep. Randall "Duke" Cunningham, Republican from California, who was convicted of receiving bribes.
? Publishing executive Conrad Black, who was found guilty of fraud.
? Former junk bold salesman Michael Milken.
? Former WorldCom CEO Bernard Ebbers, convicted of accounting fraud.

That's just a short of the people granted pardons by the President of the democratic model we follow as an emerging young democracy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I applaud the president's decision. Now that they are free they can finally get justice. An angry mob can lynch them with impunity, or the police can shoot them in an unfortunate 'intercambio de balas'.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Adriano Miguel Tejada's A.M. editorial today indicates that Lubrano was a case of misguided justice and the four Renove guys are below the tip of the iceberg...and he probably knows a lot more about this than any of us do!! I'll have to respect him on this one..

However, the public perception is that the $$ guys got free, and that is not right...

I would have preferred some poor guy serving 20 years for stealing a few pigs or cows...

I have to agree that no drug dealers, murderers or other such should be pardoned.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Always Christmas...

HB

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Re: Christmas pardons

Adriano Miguel Tejada's A.M. editorial today indicates that Lubrano was a case of misguided justice and the four Renove guys are below the tip of the iceberg...and he probably knows a lot more about this than any of us do!! I'll have to respect him on this one..

However, the public perception is that the $$ guys got free, and that is not right...

I would have preferred some poor guy serving 20 years for stealing a few pigs or cows...

I have to agree that no drug dealers, murderers or other such should be pardoned.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Always Christmas...

HB

HB,

I applaud and second your stance on the real reason for the season (John 3:16). Merry Christmas to all of you. Christmas is about Christ period dot. This may not be the right date of his birth, but that's not too important. What's important is that He was born, died for all our sins and here's the best part: He resurrected on the third day!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Adriano Miguel Tejada's A.M. editorial today indicates that Lubrano was a case of misguided justice and the four Renove guys are below the tip of the iceberg...and he probably knows a lot more about this than any of us do!! I'll have to respect him on this one..HB

If Lubrano is innocent then she deserves a retrial. Otherwise she always has this conviction on her record. The pardon doesn't wipe that out, I believe - it merely releases her.

Grating pardons in this period is an exclusive power of the Presidency, anything that the people behind the board today excusing themselves in disgust of not having been inform of any of the pardons, is simply ignorance.

Huchi & Nuria 'ignorant'? I don't think too many would agree with this.

Why not rejoice on pardons being given this xmass?

You know what would have made me rejoice? The pardoning of a really sick, really elderly prisoner who was inside for stealing food. Or better still the pardoning of all those prisoners who have already served their sentences in full, but can't be released because they don't have the money to pay the fines which went with the sentences. And so they languish in jail month in, month out - in some cases year in, year out. Those could be viewed as truly deserving of a pardon.

If the President had done that his legacy & vision would have taken on a whole new meaning. His legacy would have been one of compassionately championing the cause of the poor. His vision would have been having the guts to stand up to vested interests.

As it is, none of the above. Sadly.

swooperman

Oct 10, 2007
George Bush just phoned me complaining that people on DR1 were spreading lies about him pardoning Duke Cunningham and those other 3 bums. I said I would do what I could to set the record straight.