Best City to study and improve Spanish, Bachata, Merengue and Salsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzbehb

Dec 27, 2008
Hola :)

I am planning to travel alone to DR (from UK) during Mar/Apr. I am really confused on what cities to go to. As of now, I am thinking on IIC/ Casa Goethe in Santo Domingo for 2 weeks and Sosua for 3 weeks.

Over 5 weeks, I wanna improve my Spanish (currently a beginner) and also work on my dancing skills. I dance advanced level Salsa and Bachata but its more the westen style. I really wanna learn the Dominican style and improve my body movements and musicality. So hoping to learning spanish during the day and dancing (learning and practice) during evening / night.

Any suggestions?

Really appreciate your advise!

muchas gracias :)
Ruz

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Dancing

I can only comment about my dancing experiences in the DR.
I suppose you can find persons or schools who want to teach you spanish allover the island.

I'm an advanced level salsa dancer as well and even though you will hear a lot of salsa on the radio, most Dominicans are not good salsa dancers. The ones who are, dance salsa opposite to what we are used to in Europe: Dominicans do it with right foot forward for men. It's very interesting to see, all moves start in the opposite direction, but not a lot you can learn from it for use back home.
You better focus on bachata and merengue and the best city for this is most definitely Santiago and the whole of the Cibao valley around it. There are many venues with concerts every weekend and easy to get around. Check superregional.com for info in spanish.
In Santo Domingo the better places to dance merengue and some salsa (less bachata here) are to be found in the barrios, further from the center and less safe.
In Sosua you can dance with the putas every night but they will want something else from you after 2 songs.
Have fun
Bart

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good post Bart.

He is correct, here the salsa is mostly danced opposite of what you know and dance back home. You can learn some new moves but you will have to adjust to your own way of dancing.

As for Merengue and Bachatta - some of the best dancers are not found in the big popular clubs but rather in the typical local clubs. Here in Puerto Plata there are a number of good places to go dancing and locations to learn more dancing. However - there are few "schools" where you go learn to dance. I teach dancing and do it one on one most often.

Pick a place you want to visit and spend some time in. The dancing will be available pretty much everywhere!

ruzbehb

Dec 27, 2008
Thanks

Thanks Bart and Planner. Really appreciate your guidance

Even from the other posts that I have read on this forum, Santiago seems to be the place to be! But the problem is I can't speak much Spanish :-(

So I think I might have to spend first 4 weeks learning Spanish in SD and Sousa and maybe then spend some time in Santiago.

Planner- I will PM you closer to the date for some dance lessons :)

As for salsa, I think I will see if I can adapt my basic steps...though its gonna be difficult.

btw, is it acceptable that randoms guys ask women to dance in DR? I am brown-skin (originally Indian) and hence may pass of as a local (until I open my mouth...LOL)

cheers
Ruz

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
You will find it next to impossible to change your salsa just for here. It will take time and do nothing but confuse you when you go back home.

I know one fellow in Santiago who dances international style and he will be happy to give you some lessons. You just will have a severe shortage of dance partners here.

It is normal for the guys here to ask the women to dance. Dance with all kinds of different women - that is great for your learning.

estrellas2000

Sep 19, 2010
Hi ruzbehb !!! how did the trip go???

I was wondering if it is safe for a single girl to go by herself who looks chinese but speak fluent venezuelan spanish ???

Mar 1, 2009
If you speak fluent spanish and follow proper precautions you'll be fine. You will be amazed how quickly you begin to speak the Dominican way. By the way Ruzbehb how did it go?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I can only comment about my dancing experiences in the DR.
I suppose you can find persons or schools who want to teach you spanish allover the island.

I'm an advanced level salsa dancer as well and even though you will hear a lot of salsa on the radio, most Dominicans are not good salsa dancers. The ones who are, dance salsa opposite to what we are used to in Europe: Dominicans do it with right foot forward for men. It's very interesting to see, all moves start in the opposite direction, but not a lot you can learn from it for use back home.
You better focus on bachata and merengue and the best city for this is most definitely Santiago and the whole of the Cibao valley around it. There are many venues with concerts every weekend and easy to get around. Check superregional.com for info in spanish.
In Santo Domingo the better places to dance merengue and some salsa (less bachata here) are to be found in the barrios, further from the center and less safe.
In Sosua you can dance with the putas every night but they will want something else from you after 2 songs.
Have fun
Bart

This is true. For salsa the Dominican style isnt that good. Too distant as compared with the Porto Rican style where closeness is crucial to execution of the movements. Dominican Salsa is most like square dancing where the partner does his/her movements at arms length from their counter.
Merengue and Bachata are where you can learn good moves like the tango in Argentina.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hi ruzbehb !!! how did the trip go???

I was wondering if it is safe for a single girl to go by herself who looks chinese but speak fluent venezuelan spanish ???

No reason to dig up an old thread from someone who hasn't posted in almost a year and a half.

Estrellas2000, if you have any questions feel free to begin your own thread.

There are plenty of helpful people on this site to steer you in the right direction.

CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.