Violence is a major issue

Aug 19, 2004
I read this report today and would be interested to read other's views. How bad is it in Santo Domingo right now with regards to muggings/assualts etc?

May 12, 2005
Unless you find yourself in some unseemly barrio like Capitillo or Cristo Rey or go around flashing lots of cash and jewelry, you will have nothing to worry about.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im sure there are more places in London that you wouldnt go if you think about it - we just know certain places to avoid in our home countries

chileanheart

Dec 30, 2008
I've been to Lima Peru, Santiago Chile and Sao Paulo Brazil. Each has some very dangerous areas. A wise person avoids them. And, as was said before, if you don't go around like a walking advert to be robbed, you should have no real problems. Haven't been there yet, but I can't imagine Santo Domingo is any more risky than the cities I've mentioned. Anywhere there is poverty, there is crime.

Aug 19, 2004
The report was given in DR1.com. From comments made by my wife's family it would appear that the number of assults and muggings is rising and the report suggested this too - is this the norm up to the Christmas break go do you think generally Santo Domingo is becoming more dangerous?

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It is pretty much the norm for an increase of crime in the DR during the Christmas break.
Crime and violence is up all over the world. IMHO it is because of increased job loss which increases drinking and drug use.
In general SD would be more dangerous caused by the drug sales and use increase.
Would I be afraid in SD? No but my guard would be up more than in the past.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Unless you find yourself in some unseemly barrio like Capitillo or Cristo Rey or go around flashing lots of cash and jewelry, you will have nothing to worry about.

My uncle lives in Arroyo Hondo SD, last night two thieves broke one of the windows of his safe house. The fence all around the house is seven feet high with metal fences in all the windows. Today he is in the hospital as the thieves stabbed and tied him.

JJ

May 12, 2005
My uncle lives in Arroyo Hondo SD, last night two thieves broke one of the windows of his safe house. The fence all around the house is seven feet high with metal fences in all the windows. Today he is in the hospital as the thieves stabbed and tied him.

JJ

Sorry to hear that JJ. Hope he gets better soon.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

JJ
What a bad way to start the new year. Sorry to hear that and hope he gets well soon.

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I read this report today and would be interested to read other's views. How bad is it in Santo Domingo right now with regards to muggings/assualts etc?
Statistical evidence from the National Police has been showing a steady decrease of crime, albeit as has been stated above, during the holidays there is always a spike.

In addition to that, Mercer, a company that many multinational corporations consult with due to their lifestyle studies for cities around the world, in a recent study for the Americas stated:

"In terms of personal safety, Canadian cities again perform best with Calgary, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver all ranked jointly at 22. In the US, Chicago, Honolulu, Houston, Lexington, San Francisco and Winston-Salem all share rank 53. Elsewhere in the region, Santo Domingo has the highest ranking at 92 followed by Panama City (96) and Monterrey (99). Bogota (207) in Colombia has the lowest levels of personal safety. The Canadian cities score 115.8 compared to Bogota’s 30.4."

In other words, Santo Domingo is the safest city in Latin America.

Mercer

Furthermore, I think its important for people to keep the following in mind: Misleading Vividness.

-NALs

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Maybe you know him, he is a popular guy as he was the ouner of five Restaurants in the DR. " El Bucanero & Remos Bar " in San Sousi SD. and "The Pasta House 1 & 2 in santo Domingo and the one in Santiago.

JJ

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Violent crime in/around Cabarete & Sosua seems to have subsided in the last few months - or I'm not as well-tuned to the grapevine.

For what it's worth I know someone whose generator was stolen from his house a few weeks ago in Cabarete and a friend (Dominican) in Sto Domingo had his car stolen from him at gunpoint by two guys a week ago. Otherwise, I've not heard of much in quite a while.

Capo

Dec 20, 2008
It's not as bad as people make it seem.Bogota for instance Colombia's capital is safer then Washingdon D.C!

I have been to Colombia and DR a bunch of times.As long as you do not walk around like your Donald Trump you should be fine.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Sorry to hear the awful news Bachata. These metal fences on the windows seem very secure. Do you know how they got through them?

They used a hidraulic jack to pull the fence out of the concrete blocks. they do that all time in the DR.

JJ

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
It's not as bad as people make it seem.Bogota for instance Colombia's capital is safer then Washingdon D.C!

I have been to Colombia and DR a bunch of times.As long as you do not walk around like your Donald Trump you should be fine.

Uh...yeah. I'm gonna need to see some numbers. Do you have anything to support this?

Vince.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bachata,
Sorry to hear about your uncle. I used to live in Arroyo Honda and great care was taken by the homeowners there. When the big iron entry gate got a little rusty and not too safe the landlord installed a solid ten foot high gate. The rest of the property had a concrete wall that had to be a least 20 feet high all the way around. He also had a dog that EVERY stranger feared! The delivery boys from the colmado would not enter pass the gate. They usually wanted to stop 2 doors down to avoid the dog. That's ok because the landlord did not want the dog to get to know the boys.
It was a safe neighborhood but most people living nearby were business owners (running the business from home) so they needed to protect business as well as home and family.
I am going to guess that the residents of Arroyo Hondo will lock n' load their shotguns.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
curfew and crime rate

I thought the reason for introducing the midnight curfew on weekdays and 1 am.(?) on weekends was to curb the increase in violent -presumably alcohol induced- crime that the DR has experienced.

Does anybody have statistics on in what direction the various types of crimes have gone since this regulation was introduced?