Claro Codetel 3g(2g?) Internet service - experiences?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

Somebody that used there 3g(2g) Internet service? I saw some ad saying it was only from 850 exkl. taxes?? I need it as backup since my cable Internet service is far from reliable and it is nice when u travel.

So different plans, different price, what speed can I expect? Working with skype? Streaming radio? Do they have a offer together with cel. phone service?(getting tired of all lost calls with Orange).

Any experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The Viva Interjet seems a good contender to Claro... However, I have yet to read a "real life" comparison...

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The Viva Interjet seems a good contender to Claro... However, I have yet to read a "real life" comparison...

I had Centennial (now Viva) a couple of years ago and coverage and speed was not good... Pricy also, but they were first, so I guess they lowered the price now when there is competition.

So what about Claros Service? Or maybe Vivas is good now? Any input appreciated.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Claro que tienes m?s you can see the rates.

I have been using the Banda Ancha, $2041RD/month (taxes included), includes the express 34/54 card in the price and unlimited useage. I do much on my laptop so I pay the top for unlimited, movies, comp programs, photos, etc.

As far as operation goes it is like most things here, good days and bad. I have had it since November 6th, 2008. It worked great for the first week and then became painfully slow. After several trips to Codetel in Puerto Plata they finally changed the sim card and gave me a new phone number. Of course I saw on my last bill they charged me $300RD for the number change.........unbelievable, I just paid it for I was tired of going to Codetel. It has worked well since, intermittent slowdowns for a few hours here and there, but what can you do.........seems to be the same on land line internet at times. One time about a month ago it was slow for several days........but hoping the worst is behind me. Do like that the internet goes with you, have laptop, can travel. Used it in Cabarete, Sosua, and Puerto Plata so far............I reside in Sosua so here I have used it mostly. Where I am the Orange service is terrible, I have an Orange and Claro cell phone, Claro is good thus the internet works too.

Download speeds around 250-400kb/s, perhaps not stellar when advertised as 3G, but very useable..........I am watching all the latest movies for instance. I listen to radio from Canada with little issue. Not a Skype user so cannot say about it's performance. I would use this as my main internet though, not as backup. Hope this helps.

Foot Note: If you get it, talk to Nelson in Puerto Plata.........I wait for him in line at Codetel, let people go past me just so I get him. He speaks English but more importantly is very capable and knows what he is doing with the internet issues. Worth the wait to get things done. Also, I spoke to the hombres at VIVA in Playero, and they were polite but clueless. By this I mean when asking about the serviced areas they just didn't know.....said they would call me but never did. On the other hand, Nelson gets right on the phone to their engineering department and settled where it would work for me. At my time of purchase I was in Puerto Chiquito and wanted to be sure of service, and it worked fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeFisher

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Forgot to mention that the Banda Ancha plan is a 18 month commitment, not sure about the other plans. Again, 18 months seems to be the DR timeline.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Claro - Viva

Forgot to mention that the Banda Ancha plan is a 18 month commitment, not sure about the other plans. Again, 18 months seems to be the DR timeline.

Thank you Krwilson for very good information!

Like I said I wanted it as backup since I signed up for a plan with the cable company... and the Internet service sucks...

I wonder what the limits 200MB and 500MB stands (the other plans on Claros website)? Do you know KrWilson?

Anyone that uses Viva now and has any experiences of their service? Speed, price, reliability etc.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
The amounts are for downloads, 200Mb and 500Mb, not much when it comes to downloading IMHO. And if you surpass the amount you pay extra, which can add up quickly.........that is why I went unlimited, but for a backup used for checking email without huge attachments you would probably be good.

VIVA website..... http://www.viva.com.do/

Here is an email I received from the head (one of the head hombres) when I was looking into VIVA...............just didn't want to chance the coverage area, Codetel is still the big guy on the block.

"Hello! and welcome to Dominican republic.! Hope you enjoy your time here..

Yes I know the zone, the North coast is the best! Sosua is a great little town.!

Go visit Cabarete, and Las Terrenas also.!

You can use Interjet service all around Sosua, and the close by areas., the service will work in most towns in the north coast area.

We have service in all major cities around the island, but we do Not have service installed in the roads, and some minor town,

at least not a broadband, it will work more like a dial-up service, and the broadband card will indicate the speed,

For example: if it’s in broadband will indicate the letters “EV” and for more slow signals will indicate 1X or 3G.

Of course that mobile broadband service is better because you can carry it wherever you, go along with your laptop computer.

The cost of the card is cero RD$ 0.00

Monthly rent will be RD$ 1,415.00 plus taxes( 28%)

It will be a total of RD$ 1,800.00 monthly

You can get one in all Viva centers in Puerto Plata or Sosua, or if you come to the city give a call and I will help you.

Will work just fine with all major computer brands and systems (Vista, XP, Mac)

At your service,

Carlos Pimentel

Ventas broadband

C. (809)-436-1602

T. (809)-503-1000

cpimentel@viva.com.do

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Many people I know (in the USA) save money by getting a phone with unlimited internet (3g/evdo) and tethering the phone to a laptop to access the internet. This is much cheaper than getting an unlimited data card for the laptop.

Is this option available in the D.R.?

Reactions: MikeFisher

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Orange Internet 3g?

Hi,

Somebody has any experineces of the Orange 3g internet service? They were out if the "USB-thing", so I guess somebody is using it...Supposed to be 1600 a month forr unlimited access.

any input appreciated.

knotworx

Dec 10, 2006
Ah well my 2 cents worth. I'm in Santiago and 24 hours into using my Claro Banda Ancha card and so far so good. At this point I've done the usual stuff such as e-mail, web browsing, downloading itunes stuff and skype. All with better than expected results. My tested download/upload speeds per dslreports.com are around 700/400 which is more than sufficient for my typical use.

I'll add more commentary as I try this out in my other two common haunts (Jarabacoa and Cabarete).

Stay tuned!

KW

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What were the results

what were the results for your other places, and do we have stats for viva or claro other than in santiago

It works ok in Jarabacoa. However, try to use in different PC's and the USB card collapsed. Took it to Codetel office in La Vega and they're "repairing" it, 4-5 days out. I used it with Skype and it didn't perform that well, waiting on the card to run more tests.

Has anybody try to use connected to a router for wireless Internet sharing? They're few routers available that can be use with similar services (3G) in the US, but not sure if it works with Claro.

TheQueen

Jan 31, 2008
I'm trying to find a wireless aircard that I can use in the Dominican Republic. Do I need to be a resident to be able to get this service?

Ideally I would like to get one of these for my use while I am there. Then leave it there for the friends that I stay with and that look after my place when I am back home. I will pay the bill every month.

Wondering if Claro will allow me to pay for 18 months in one payment?

Does the Claro Banda Ancho work well in Puerto Plata?

blgx

Dec 18, 2009
I have Banda Ancha "unlimited to 3GB" (I love the concept) for one year, here in Las Terrenas.
It was faster than Flash ADSL (256 Kbps) at the beginning but it is worst and worst.

In Europe and USA, the providers advertise and warranty a MINIMUM speed. Here with Claro, it is the contrary. Go to their website Claro3G - Caractersticas y Servicios
They talk about speeds "UP TO (hasta) 3.5 Mbps" then, when your 3GB quota is over, you will still have internet at speeds UP TO 128 Kbps.
That basically means that you'll get between 0 and 3 Gbps during the first phase then between 0 and 128 Kbps during the second one, so if you don't have internet for days, don't bother them, you have signed their contract for 18 months and they don't have any obligation to deliver internet !!!

My experience is that I get download speeds between 200 and 800 Kbps for a week, then they limit my speed between 0 and 50 Kbps for the rest of the month, what makes me crazy.

I have now purchased DU Meter software (you can test it one month for free)
DU Meter Home Page
that tells me exactly what I "consume" hourly, daily, weekly and monthly. Next month I'll check if Claro limits my speed when I have consumed 3GB or much less, as I suspect, as I never download films.

For those who do, 4 films = 2.8 GB, so this 3 GB limit is quickly reached.