Easter Party/Vacation Week

wil

Oct 12, 2003
profiles.yahoo.com
I want to book my trip, but do not want to come during the Dominican vacation week. Easter is on April 12, when is the vacation/party week? Before, or after? Thanks

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Starts on the Wednesday before Easter and carries on until Easter Sunday.

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
Starts on the Wednesday before Easter and carries on until Easter Sunday.

Does this mean that there will be reduced activities(bars closed excursions closed) across the island from Wed until Easter Sunday or does this mean the country celebrates (bars open, dancing in the streets) from Wed until Easter Sunday. I know this is a very big holiday down there but, not sure how you guys handle it. I'm going to be there during Easter time also so I'm curious as to what to expect.
Thanks!:classic:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Semana Santa is an absolute ZOO, and I do not recommend visiting that week.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
From the Wednesday (usually) there are no watersports. When I worked as a diving instructor in Juan Dolio we were not allowed to issues masks and snorkels from the Wednesday onwards. Diving was not allowed on the Friday until the Monday. It can vary depending on the relationships each school has with the Marina de Guerra and/or local Politur.

No loud music is allowed from the Friday until the Monday.

Drinking begins on the Wednesday and reaches its peak on the Saturday. Sunday is usually quieter as everyone is exhausted.

Driving accidents are commonplace as everyone is driving whilst drunk.

As Tamborista says it is not recommended to visit that week. The beaches are full. Everyone is drunk. Totally unadvisable to drive.

The only upside is that my colmado does more business in those few days than in a normal month!!!

Matilda