best restaurants from POP to cabarete

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
need recommendations on best north coast places
will be staying in POP in March and want to try all the best restaurants on the north coast
first stayed here at koch's cottages in sosua in 1979!
very nice before it was developed
thanks for any ideas can be from a fritura to an elegant place
just want places that are special
thanks
david

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Believe it or not you might try Eddie's Sports Bar in Sosua. They have hired a new cook and the food is very good. The price is very reasonable also. This cook is only working during the evening hours 5 til ?.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Papi's on Playa Cabarete! Best shrimp in Papi's special garlic, misc alcohol & cream sauce. Being on the beach, the atmosphere is A1

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Updated information?

There has been so much written about restaurants on the North Coast over the years.

Below is a compliation of a number of posts I've come across regarding restaurants in POP/Sosua/Cabarete area. Many are old posts though. Can someone that's currently in the DR update us on which of these places (if any) are no longer open, have gotten better/worse, prices, etc??? Any info is most welcome!!

POP

"Sonrisa on 27th de Augusto. Large portions of excellent Dominican fare at very reasonable prices. Cute waitresses too! Best arroz moro I've ever had. Excellent chivo and/or pollo guisado."

Sosua

Bailey's..... - Excellent food, great sallad bar included, reasonable prices and good service. The bar is also good. This restaurant is the most popular place in Sosua without any competition....awesome pina coladas and ice cream, reasonably priced dinner menu with lots of choices definitely good for a dinner....... Located infront of the copycenter, very close to Banco Popular, and across the street from Bar Cest'lavie.

Scandinavian Bar:..... The Scandanavian Bar on the beach...at around #150 I think........ is a great place for burgers and kabobs.....This Tom fellow really seems to have a wonderful following....has been rebuilt and is better than ever. I had lunch there about two weeks ago. I ordered the bratwurst. It was so huge I thought he might have cut it off a donkey.

Rocky's:.......The best food again for me has to be Rocky's.....no matter what you have from breakfast to dinner, it's always great and reasonably priced.......awesome food at a good price...... had most of my breakfast's at Rocky's, yeah sometimes the wait can be long, and all the coffe urns are empty, but they still put out one decent breakfast. The omelets are great. I'll be back.
Also try the club sandwich.....excellent

Brittiana:........, a really great breakfast there also. Great food to be had on the beach, .

Maura Mai - ate there MANY times almost daily sometimes for dinner. food was quite good and it has a nice atmosphere.

Shark Bar - great american style food. only visited it on the beach so far but i would imagine the food will be just as good on the strip.

Beach food - My favorite afternoon spot on the beach is casita 67. The guy has awesome fish and his home made pina coladas out of a pineapple are insane.

Susana's: (don't know where this is or type of food/prices)

Maui Mia:.....location????

Hermans beach bar "Siempre Sol" #145, great place to hang in the afternoon and great food.

Pedro McMurphy's:....... and had lunch there twice. Thought the food was great, prices very reasonable and nice atmosphere.

Cabarete:

Papi's on Playa Cabarete! Best shrimp in Papi's special garlic, misc alcohol & cream sauce. Being on the beach, the atmosphere is A1

Las Brisas:......, on the beach. Excellent food, especially seafood. I've had shrimp there a few times and it's wonderful and reasonably priced. The service was above average and the view is great.

Casa del Pescador:.......food there is well worth it........is a proper restaurant, serving high quality food.... prices... the surf & turf is about RD$750 (about ?12.50 or US$25) and is excellent.

York Chippy: A fish & chip shop, run by a couple from York, in England. It was good!

Onno's:...... "When I went to Onno's I really wanted to give it a good review, I have had many good times in this bar.......The last time I visited Cabarete (Sept '07) I noticed a deterioration in the service. Earlier this trip (Jan '08) I actually sat at a table for about ten minutes. The waitress eventually appeared, cleared the table next to mine. I naturally assumed she'd be coming straight back to the thirsty, hungry customer. So when she leant against the bar and started chatting to the bar staff, I stood up and left. Clearly the only way I'd get service that night was if I got up and helped myself. ...... the food was excellent.............I don't recall ever having a bad meal there. But again the service was patchy...... .. Onno's has a wide and varied selection of food available. The happy hour menu is largely half price tappas........ Onnos half price on a lot of different dishes between 5 and 7. 120 -170 for big tapas.........Half price on drinks between 6 and 8. I think a cuba libre is 45. I drink mojitos or frozen vodka lemonade and they are 70-80.........
Then at 9 pitcher hour.... a pitcher of mojitos 270 (6-8 drinks)....

Pomodoro's:......location???????.... I love the calzone pizza that they do there. A calzone is a large folded pizza and I'm generally drawn to the chicken which is never short of delicious! On this last trip I ate with three other people who all agreed that their pizza was perfect. The service is unhurried but in a 'nice way', you aren't left feeling neglected but not under pressure either. There is ample room to sit on the beach under the marquee or you can sit inside. I usually visit Cabarete during the British winter time, so I always tend to sit outside and relax, reminding myself of the weather back home as I sit on the beach. On this occasion, we paid about RD$500 which included drinks and a tip, as well as more pizza than we could finish, so while not the cheapest on the beach, it is good value still

Ali's Surf Camp: ..............For good food at a more reasonable price, try Ali's surf camp in ProCab (good ribs, steak, thai curry chicken & more)..

Bayerischer Hof: down the dirt road across from the western entrance to Ocean Dream Plaza........type of food???? prices????......,

Sandro's:.......location? prices? type of food?

Casanova's:.......same as above

Feel free to add any others.........

By the way.....El Manguito in POP is delicious and reasonably priced. Ate there a few times in February.....it's one of my favorite places for dinner.....

Also.....I was asking on another post....has anyone eaten at La Esquina in POP? I've passed it a number of times and it looks very cute, but haven't eaten there at all. Wondering what people think of it, menu selection, prices, etc.....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There has been so much written about restaurants on the North Coast over the years.

Below is a compliation of a number of posts I've come across regarding restaurants in POP/Sosua/Cabarete area. Many are old posts though. Can someone that's currently in the DR update us on which of these places (if any) are no longer open, have gotten better/worse, prices, etc??? Any info is most welcome!!

What purpose does it serve cutting and pasting 3 year old reviews?

At least use the quote function, so we know who wrote the review, whatever...

colmcb

Mar 22, 2009
I'd like to know too

I think the question is valid - there HAS indeed been a lot written on the subject of restaurants but, as happens everywhere, restaurants come and go, menus change, personnel changes, and prices go up.

I think the person who responded with "why bother to cut and paste" missed the point... some of those posts are old as I've seen them too and bklynny was asking if these restaurants still exists, has the food/service/prices remained the same, etc...

It's not a matter of who wrote the original posts - who cares who wrote them actually - even their opinions may have changed since the original post - this is supposed to be a place where people share information isn't it?

Now, as for my input on the actual question, I haven't been back to the area in about 7 months, so things could have changed but for what it's worth

Rocky's - love it - never had a bad thing to say about it.
Il Pomodoro is good too - the pizza is delicious
Bailey's - ate there one time and it was good. Good atmosphere too

El Manguito - I eat there on every visit - menu is varied, prices are reasonable and the food is good

As for the others, I can't give a reasonable response as I haven't been in them for a long time or not at all. However, I too would like to hear what others have to say.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
We don't eat out much so when we do it has to be worth the trouble. I think these are all good.

Tropicoco, Cabarete for the Saturday night buffet - great value, staff and super puddings

La Costera, Pedro Clisante, Sosua

Morua Mai for a special dinner

La Roca, Sosua has been good value for years if you are resident. Some people find it doesn't agree with them but I've had no problems

Chinese in Cabarete

Sandro's in Cabarete for Dominican lunch

Used to love Casanova, Cabarete for Happy Hour pizza and pasta but was disappointed last time. May have improved again.

Afternoon Tea etc - Joy's new place near the Ayuntamiento, Sosua (road where Super Super is), just past Remax Coral Bay RE.

Best new addition: Acuarela, just in the entrance to Callejon de la Lomas, on the opposite side of the highway from Ocean Dream and just across from Bliss (budget doesn't run to Bliss, but hear it's good)

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007

Acuarela is my new favorite restaurant in Cabarete (situated right at the entrance to Callejon de la Loma.) The chef is the old one from Villa Taina...
They're only 2 in the kitchen (3 with the one making pizza), and believe me, they make great food, especically for the price!

Aaaay, I miss Cabarete!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
For the record, Las Brisas on the beach has been closed for about 3 years. And Ive never heard of York Chippy...do you mean the City of York Bistro in Ocean Dream Plaza?

Also, if interested the Sushi Place (Yamazako?) next to York Bistro is pretty good.

Bayerisher Hof: Good german food, reasonably priced (+/- 250 -500 pesos per entre)

Sandro's Cafe - good Dominican food next to restaurant Chino in the center of town, opposite side from the beach of main road

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Seems as though Las Brisas has been closed even longer than that.... was good in its day.

For the record, Joy's place in Calle Ayuntamiento is called Pandora's Box; I had forgotten the name before.

Aug 21, 2007
Anyone been to Restaurante El Batey lately? I haven't been there for more than a year. It used to be very good with fish, good service, and nice presentation. (Although a tad more expensive than my usual hangouts.)

But, I haven't heard a word said about it in a long, long time. Is it still good? Or has it gone downhill?

Lindsey

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Sosua-Underground Urban Deli on Pedro Clisante in Victorian building. Had a wonderful freshly made Greek Salad for lunch. Was excellent and loved being able to get a salad fix that's often missed here. Tons of veggies, feta and delicious dressing. Also does sandwiches and breakfast. Clean, friendly and nice decor. Great new addition to Sosua restaurants.

POP- La Esquina great fun restaurant near square. Like the pinchos and fajitas there. Monday night has live jazz. Get there early because it get's packed.

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
Try Bliss in Cabarete, just opposite from Ocean Dream.

We wenty with 4 and set us back about 20 US per head. Lobster, pork ssteaks... and drinks included.

Violet

May 23, 2009
If you like different cocktails visit cocktail-bar "Wild Coyote". It is located at the intersection of streets Pedro Clissante and David Stern.

I live in Sosua and I don't know any other place where you can taste cocktails better than in "Wild Coyote". Well, exept that in Hemingway

web

Nov 5, 2005
At "Taste" in Puerto Plata the Spicy King Crab Roll is excellent. It is located just down from the Palacia de Justicia and is well marked by a sign on the right hand side. The roll came with a very nice presentation with wasabi and soy, ginger the whole Sushi experience. No Plum wine but a very good glass of Vino Tinto. Not sure about Saki. Check it out.

surf

Jan 3, 2010
"Used to love Casanova, Cabarete for Happy Hour pizza and pasta but was disappointed last time. May have improved again."

sorry to say: Casanova's still is sh*t. Too bad because it looks great.
Old lobster, waiters who spent most of their time being absent and a cocky english (I persume) owner who tells you to "never visit his joint again" if you complain about the lobster.

Please stay away from this joint and go to LAX, Onno's or Casa del pescadore instead! (try the LAX shrimp; delicious!!!!)

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
It's a long time since I went to Casanova for that very reason. The food used to be great, then they did away with the happy hour and the food also took a decided downturn. We ordered a seafood pizza and it had more shell on it than seafood! Not nice. Haven't tried the others but Papi's is always good, even if for a rare treat.