POP to Las Terrenas - Samana

Gfunka

Jan 7, 2009
Hi all, first post here and it looks like a great forum.

This will be our 3rd year back to Cabarete but this time we're planning on renting a 4x4 in POP airport and driving to Las Terrenas for 10 days first. We've heard a lot of advice for and against driving ourselves and we've decided to do it.

I've searched quite a bit for maps and tried to cheat with GPS files but not looking too good there. It's proving hard to find anything.

Basically - it looks like we jump on the only highway, drive to Nagua and hang a left to Las Terrenas? Wow, if only it was going to be as simple as it sounded right there!

Any info, tips on route and how long it should take would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi all, first post here and it looks like a great forum.

This will be our 3rd year back to Cabarete but this time we're planning on renting a 4x4 in POP airport and driving to Las Terrenas for 10 days first. We've heard a lot of advice for and against driving ourselves and we've decided to do it.

I've searched quite a bit for maps and tried to cheat with GPS files but not looking too good there. It's proving hard to find anything.

Basically - it looks like we jump on the only highway, drive to Nagua and hang a left to Las Terrenas? Wow, if only it was going to be as simple as it sounded right there!

Any info, tips on route and how long it should take would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Garrett

when you take left in Nagua,you will go to Sanchez,look for sign to LT,it is over the mountain and road is in bad shape right now,so the 4wd will help...and roads in LT are bad right now also...and make sure you go during daylight hours,over mountain at night is a nono...it is about 1 hour over mountain from sanchez....and maybe 2 or 3 hours from POP...
bob

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
when you take left in Nagua,you will go to Sanchez,look for sign to LT,it is over the mountain and road is in bad shape right now,so the 4wd will help...and roads in LT are bad right now also...and make sure you go during daylight hours,over mountain at night is a nono...it is about 1 hour over mountain from sanchez....and maybe 2 or 3 hours from POP...

If the sign to LT is missing: few minutes before you have to turn left up the mountains, there?s a big petrolstation on your left side. The road is adventurous, but you have spectactular views.
Tourist busses normally take the longer way (around 1h 30 from AZS airport) to LT - from Sanchez follow the road to Santa Barbara de Samana, about 2km before reaching SBdS, turn left to El Limon/LT. The road is longer, but better and you dont?t have to cross the mountains.

Saludos

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
What's up with the Sanchez to LT road. They were working on it when we there in October. I had also read that were fixing the main roads in LT.

Drove over at night as well. Was an adventure !

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
What's up with the Sanchez to LT road. They were working on it when we there in October. I had also read that were fixing the main roads in LT.

Drove over at night as well. Was an adventure !

roads to LT from Sanchez and in LT are always bad...have been for the last 5 years..no one seems to care....go around thru El Limon,better road and safer.
bob

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
What's up with the Sanchez to LT road. They were working on it when we there in October.

They are always working on it! 2 or 3 years ago it was completely renewed, but last year in April it was in a really bad state again, with lots of potholes and some parts nearly missing because of landslides.

But with a 4wd during daylight it shoulnd?t be a problem.

Saludos ;) (and sorry for my bad English)