Shore Fishing around Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

exttrimmer

Jan 6, 2009
Hello
I will be in POP on Jan 11 for 1 week. I have beenable to find a number of threads on dr1.com. I am curious about the kind of plastic baits I should bring and if there are any specific flies for a fly rod. I will be bringing my own gear. Are there any guides in the area for fly fishing. Dont really want to go deepsea fishing.
Any assistance greatly appreciated. Hoping to hear from Hllwud, or TONY C

Steve

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I know very little about fishing (I rather just eat fish), but here goes:
We observe people fishing off "La Puntilla" (West end of POP's "Malecon" - East end of the port where the old fortress stands), mostly just with quite heavily gauged nylon off a wooden bobbin, only seldom a fishing rod. I don't think they "fly fish".
At low tide, we also observe locals "walking" out the sea almost up to the coral reefs... some with nylon, others with nets and yet again others with harpoons. Apparently some do catch quite big fish, squid and even lobster.

However, be warned: In almost 3 years here I have personally withnessed 3 people being pulled out DEAD from the beaches in front of Puerto Plata (I don't know how many they get I did not see). One problems seems to be rip tides. Also the ground in in the West end (towards the above described puntilla) is rocky with holes in which one can get a foot stuck. Some apparently get hurt in the coral reefs (getting too close up).

.. J-D.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Yes be very careful. I have heard about a few people dying (a couple of drownings due to stepping in holes and getting pulled away by currents) and injurying themselves on the coral.

Reactions: mike l
Status
Not open for further replies.