Cedula and Residency???

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Hello everyone!

I have read alot of posts regarding the residency process, as well the reference throughout regarding Cedulas.

If one aquires a cedula is that the same as having residency?

What is the difference and what are the benefits of having a cedula for someone who wants sto stay longterm?
Thanks!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If one aquires a cedula is that the same as having residency?

No. Residency is issued by Migracion and is your permit to stay here. The c?dula is issued by the Junta Central Electoral and is your ID effectively. Read the info on Dr. Guzman's website. Apart from the difficulties of getting one without the other, you'll find you need both.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
No. Residency is issued by Migracion and is your permit to stay here. The c?dula is issued by the Junta Central Electoral and is your ID effectively. Read the info on Dr. Guzman's website. Apart from the difficulties of getting one without the other, you'll find you need both.

Thanks for info, i read Guzman website on immigration but does not speak of cedula.
What benefits does a cedula provide a foreigner?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The c?dula is used in all day to day transactions (banking, contracts etc) to prove your identity. You'll need it for your driving licence, gun permit etc etc. If I didn't make it clear I apologise - this isn't an either/or situation. You need BOTH c?dula AND residency.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
The c?dula is used in all day to day transactions (banking, contracts etc) to prove your identity. You'll need it for your driving licence, gun permit etc etc. If I didn't make it clear I apologise - this isn't an either/or situation. You need BOTH c?dula AND residency.
Thanks again..

if anyone knows the prerequisites, associated costs, and timeline to acquire a cedula, it would be greatly appreciated.
Or if you prefer to steer me to where i can find that info again very grateful.

Thankyou both for you help

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes,
it is always one complete process.
you take a lawyer an apply throu him for your residency, at the end of that process you wil receive you temporary(valid for 1 year) residency card and cedular. after one year you have to follow the same procedures again to get both permanently. from there on you just renew the residency every 2 years and the cedular when reached it's expiration date(they are done for different time periods which i did not figured out yet why some are valid longer than others aso, my last cedula i renewed in 2004 and got it valid til 2010, expiration day on the cedula is always your birthday at the year of expiration printed on the cedula, while the expiration date on the residency is the date when you get it plus 2 years/the temporarily one for 1 year).
i had my 'cita' for renewal yesterday(sorrily the gubmin lost the data of stored fotos so for renewal a lot of people like myself have to show up in St Dgo in person to get their picture taken again), have to mention that that one been absolutely hassle free and fast, upon arrival there i had to wait just 20 minutes to get my foto taken and around 15 minutes after that i received my carnet, without paying any kind of VIP or such. i remember times when such took a bit more of time, lol, this time the stuff been very helpful, very friendly and all went smooth, some kind of nice improvement realized from my side compared to prior times dealing with the same department.
your residency card is the document you need when passing customs, so as long as you don't leave /enter the country you should store that one at home at a save place together with your pasport.
the cedula is you ID which you need to carry with you everywhere/all the time. you need it to open a bank account, to deposit or withdraw money, to pay any taxes, to buy a car, aso aso, for any kind of legal transaction.
like americans use their drivers license in the US or Germans use their "Personalausweis" in europe.
welcome to the Isle
Mike

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
yes,
it is always one complete process.
you take a lawyer an apply throu him for your residency, at the end of that process you wil receive you temporary(valid for 1 year) residency card and cedular. after one year you have to follow the same procedures again to get both permanently. from there on you just renew the residency every 2 years and the cedular when reached it's expiration date(they are done for different time periods which i did not figured out yet why some are valid longer than others aso, my last cedula i renewed in 2004 and got it valid til 2010, expiration day on the cedula is always your birthday at the year of expiration printed on the cedula, while the expiration date on the residency is the date when you get it plus 2 years/the temporarily one for 1 year).
i had my 'cita' for renewal yesterday(sorrily the gubmin lost the data of stored fotos so for renewal a lot of people like myself have to show up in St Dgo in person to get their picture taken again), have to mention that that one been absolutely hassle free and fast, upon arrival there i had to wait just 20 minutes to get my foto taken and around 15 minutes after that i received my carnet, without paying any kind of VIP or such. i remember times when such took a bit more of time, lol, this time the stuff been very helpful, very friendly and all went smooth, some kind of nice improvement realized from my side compared to prior times dealing with the same department.
your residency card is the document you need when passing customs, so as long as you don't leave /enter the country you should store that one at home at a save place together with your pasport.
the cedula is you ID which you need to carry with you everywhere/all the time. you need it to open a bank account, to deposit or withdraw money, to pay any taxes, to buy a car, aso aso, for any kind of legal transaction.
like americans use their drivers license in the US or Germans use their "Personalausweis" in europe.
welcome to the Isle
Mike

Thankyou so much for the above detailed info.
I did however buy a car from a dealer hassle free without any form of cedula or residency and it has insurance as well. This was not a finance deal though as that would definitely need a cedula.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
Also notice that you will NOT be able to get residency without a lawyer, even if you have all the necessary documents, and conversely, even if you DON'T have all the necessary documents, you will still get a residency through a lawyer.

But I digress...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Cedula

We use a lawyer in Santiago who will hold your hand for the whole process and is much cheaper and faster then most you will contact. PM me if you want more info.

Bob K

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Also notice that you will NOT be able to get residency without a lawyer, even if you have all the necessary documents, and conversely, even if you DON'T have all the necessary documents, you will still get a residency through a lawyer.

But I digress...

wrong,
the procedures can also be done without contracting a lawyer.

and to Norte:
right, no cedula or such needed to purchase a car here.
but if longer than 30 days on the island you need a cedula to get a dominican drivers license, without that your car insurance may not cover what is written on the contract paper.
Mike

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Are we being impatient?

We applied in SD for our permanent residency in the month the temporary expired (last July) and our attorney said there is still a backlog. Almost one year later seems to be too long to wait. We have the letter from migration stamped to show all medical and documents our in their system but that is all so far. What is your opinion?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We filed our permanent application in January 2010 (some confirmation letter as you have)

Applications were approved April 15, 2010.

We went to SD early in June for photos, and to receive the cards - both residency and cedula.

Temporary expired September 2009.

No penalties applied.

We used the Guzman office in SD

WW

Adol

May 12, 2010
1 year is an unacceptable delay. You should indeed had used Guzman services.

If you have a file number (4 digits) you can check the status in the migration office (panel, or ask, counter 9 or 10)

Last edited:

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
We applied in SD for our permanent residency in the month the temporary expired (last July) and our attorney said there is still a backlog. Almost one year later seems to be too long to wait. We have the letter from migration stamped to show all medical and documents our in their system but that is all so far. What is your opinion?

your Attorney seems to be a scambag.
1 year is much too long.
check with Immigrations and your casenumber what the status of your case is.
good luck
Mike