Carnival in DR

sooozie

Jan 8, 2009
Hi All
I am visiting the DR from 26 jan to 6 Feb and i have read in a few guide books that you celebrate carnival every Sunday in Feb so I was wondering if anywhere will have anything going on on Sunday 1st February - I am staying near Puerto Plata so if anyone knows anything would be great if you could let me know. I am also wondering as everywhere I have read that we should not drive at night - is it really that dangerous or is it people being super wary :paranoid:

Look forward to hearing any info - cant wait to visit your island

Best Regards from freezing cold London - Suzie

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ash Wednesday is Feb 25, so before and after that date things are happening.
I don't think you will have any more problems than you wold in New Orleans...lots of booze, lots of music...just be careful

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i've done carnival a couple of times as well as a couple of other holidays. I gotta say i dont care for it. I dont like traveling to big events here in the US either. I dont like crowds (even tho i live in the NYC area)...and those guys whipping people with pig intestines is just really hard to watch (if you go...wear long pants that will protect your skin).

I'd rather go to a good game of winter league beisbol than carnival.

I am booked for the 26th of feb. thru march 6. Unfortunately for me that is the big carnival weekend. Oh well...I will endure!

IF the OP does go to carnival...most definitely stay with the tourist crowd or you are going to be in PAIN.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I agree with Jrzyguy. I have only attended Carnival and the parade on Dia Independencia in the capitol. It's ok, but I am not very impressed with it. Those whips are horrendous and the guys using them don't discriminate. Personally, I'll be in the DR from 21 February to 7 March, but I'm leaving the capitol to go to the north coast where its relatively quite for the weekend of 27 Feb.

Jrzyguy, let's meet up for a cold Presidente or Cuba Libre in BC!

Sep 19, 2005
the carnival in La Vega has its ups and downs. It is a sight to behold, and for that alone you should go. The costumes are wild and intricate and when you see a club come down with 20 guys all dressed the same in those over the top outfits with all their colors...it is nice and memorable.

on the other side the crowd is full of people trying to take advantage of all the people.

dont wear ANY loose jewelry!!!! no necklaces! leave the nice watch at home...if you have to bring a wallet put it in your front pocket!!!!

if you do bring a camera makes sure the strap is very secure around you!!!!

and expect someone to try and steal it..., that way you are prepared.

no it isnt that common...but it does happen and can ruin your trip!

stay on the outside of the crowds and you will avoid getting hit.

they hit all people in La Vega and they love to hit macho men and pretty women and girls

it is their chance in life to get away with stuff they cant do normally!

the LaVega carnival is the real deal 100% dominican and full blown,

those outfits cost a LOT of money... the bladders they swing are like a rugby ball ..tight and hard and with a 2 foot length of rope for a handle they can get some force when they swing them!!
remember where you park!!!!

give yourself a LOT of time before and after to get there and leave...at least an hour or more

go hungry!! they offer a lot of stuff....try all you can!!

if you really worry about getting hit on the street parrallel to the main parade route is where the participants walk back usually with their masks off and cooling down and eatign and drinking.....as they make their way back to the beginning to walk the route again...

that route is less hectic and less chance for getting whomped....

one of the reasons to go...IS THE CORWD!!!!!!! ha ha ha....wow..I LOVED THE CROWDS!!!
2l89jmc.jpg

this is what the bladder looks like the hit you with..

remember they always try to hit you in the back from your azz down to the back of the knees...it is tradition..so dont get upset about it... they dont hit you in the front or above the waist!!

4jb5m8.jpg

good luck

Reactions: Tamborista

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Bad Bob is on the money, good advice in his post. Obviously like any other huge outdoor event, don't go if you don't like crowds, but if you do, the celebrations in La Vega are world-class. The ones on the first two Sundays are a little less crowded and crazy...the final two can be NUTS! But it is definitely worth checking out if you like this sort of thing. You can join a group tour out of most cities that includes a ride, drinks, food, and a place in the bleachers...usually a tshirt or other souvenir as well...just look for signs at Supermercados, bars, discos, etc.

Driving there is not a big deal especially for the first one in Feb...the first La Vega exit off the highway (coming from Santiago) takes you straight to the parade area. Just find a place to park, and follow the crowds. It is a good idea to either pay to view from one of the observation areas, or just grab a spot on the sidewalk and watch from there. If you walk along the parade route, you will likely be a target for getting hit. If you stay on the sidewalk facing the street, you probably won't get hit at all...but if you do, remember, it's part of "the fun" but it does hurt.... A LOT!!! even the little kids roam around swinging the bladders, looking for an exposed butt cheek to bruise!

Almost all cities have carnaval parades on the last Sunday of Feb - it also coincides with the celebration of Independence day - Feb. 27, but only the larger ones have serious parades on the other Sundays. The biggest are: Santiago, Santo Domingo, Monte Cristi, and the biggest, as mentioned is La Vega. The one in Puerto Plata is ok, but not very crowded...except the last Sunday and even then doesn't compare to some of the big ones.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
well...

i like the carnival in santiago.. driving at night . why bother. stay over. me im drivin at night close to home on familiar roads advice.. drive during daylite... wake up early and go. have a great time...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I want to go, and had planned to go but I do NOT want to be hit or have my children hit. If we do not walk along the main part of the parade to stay safe from hitting, can you still see what's going on?
SHALENA

May 31, 2005
My aunt told me that for the first time this year there will be a safe area for people that do not wish to be hit. I am going tomorrow to the carnaval de la vega.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Since February 27th falls on a Friday this year, and I assume a parade and celebration for Independence Day, will there also be a Carnival celebration in Santo Domingo on March 1?

Mar 2, 2008
I'm not an expert by any means, and someone might have a much better understanding of this tradition than I do. However, just to get this possibly interesting discussion going, this is the way I understand it.

The persons delivering the 'hits' represent the "conquistadores" and the persons being hit represent the indigenous people or the Tainos.

I've also been told that the 'hitters' can represent different oppressors during different historical eras, such as Trujillo, for example, or other notorious political leaders. They can also represent various foreign powers, depending who is viewed as an enemy at that particular time.

Overall, it is a representation of oppressor and oppressed. I guess anyone can decide who they want to plug into those roles depending upon their own view of history.

Whatever it represents, it is interesting theater, and makes for a good show.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not an expert by any means, and someone might have a much better understanding of this tradition than I do. However, just to get this possibly interesting discussion going, this is the way I understand it.

The persons delivering the 'hits' represent the "conquistadores" and the persons being hit represent the indigenous people or the Tainos.

I've also been told that the 'hitters' can represent different oppressors during different historical eras, such as Trujillo, for example, or other notorious political leaders. They can also represent various foreign powers, depending who is viewed as an enemy at that particular time.

Overall, it is a representation of oppressor and oppressed. I guess anyone can decide who they want to plug into those roles depending upon their own view of history.

Whatever it represents, it is interesting theater, and makes for a good show.
I heard it's driving out evil spirits.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
is it true that if you wear a mask that they will leave you alone?

I've been fortunate to avoid the whip.

I am just curious how the intestine thing plays into it and whatever they stuff them wth.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My mother-in-law sais she got hit so hard in the behind she was in bed for three days. The hitting has something to do with Lent.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My mother-in-law sais she got hit so hard in the behind she was in bed for three days. The hitting has something to do with Lent.
As I understand, the groups are only supposed to use "approved" bladders. This year we saw a parade "marshall" checking bladders.

But the "rumor" is that many groups have a member who wields an unapproved bladder...one hard as a bowling ball (I tend to believe the rumors, having been hit by a regular bladder with NO damage, hardly felt it, and being hit by something that left a 6" nasty deep purple bruise on my thigh that took 2 weeks to go away, and two jammed fingers where I was defending myself)). The theory, I'm told, being the guy with the illegal hard thing is an "Enforcer" of sorts; when macho kids start harassing the members the Enforcer whacks them. The kids just don't know who the Enforcer is. Like Carnival Roulette.

I saw mainly pretty girls get whacked. I saw macho kids dare to get whacked. I've been whacked (I'm not a pretty girl ;)). All in good fun, no harm, no foul, soft bladders (BTW-if you think they aren't supposed to go on the sidewalk to whack folks, I have one expression for you: "jajajajajajajajajajajaja....";)

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
safe place

last year i saw a fight in la vega. a marcher hit a young girl with his wacker (lack of proper name) and she was hurt crying and her boyfriend jumped the guy and started fighting beating him.. police stepped in, not before the marcher got whacked himself a few times.. those heavy things are probably used to get you to talk when in prison or going there...

Sep 19, 2005
the last Carnival I went to was in LaVega not last year but the year before and most groups had a body guard detail, to prevent someone from the crowd retaliating..

it was likie each group went to the local gym and picked the 6 biggest guys they could find to work their security detail!!

most of the bladders i got hit by were as hard as a fully filled football. and it is on a 3 foot lead....a guy can get some momentum with that line attached.

if you worry about a guy coming to hit you or a friend. pull out your camera and say you want to thier picture!!

it stops them , they love taking photos!!!

bob

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I've seen a few fights break out from the bladders as well. Usually, as described when someone whacks a guys kid or a girlfriend with intent to injure.