VISA - Canada

K

Kim

Are there similar horror stories and red tape out there when applying for a Canadian VISA? - time frames, precedure, protocal - TIPS!?

S

Sue

YES!!! I've yet to meet anyone who has been successful in obtaining a Visitor's Visa to Canada. I went through the process last summer and even though my friend has a good job and has travelled outside the DR before, he was denied without being given any reasonable explanation, just the old standard beaurocratic government form letter. And try finding someone in the Canadian embassy who can speak English fluently!! On the positive side the process doesn't seem to be as complicated as it is for some countries but the end result is the same. Unless you have mucho pesos and/or property or a business - forget about it. I would love to read about someone, anyone who has been successful and know how it was done. I think the only way of getting into Canada is to get married in the DR and then sponsoring your spouse and that takes about a year. Would love to hear other people's experiences.

J

Jodi

Hi........My husband is Dominican and I'm currently going through the nightmare of trying to get him to Canada. He sent his completed application to the embassy in Haiti (where Dominican applications are processed) in October. It's taken over a month just to confirm that they "don't have it" and I was only able to determine that by going through my Member of Parliament. I'm headed back down to the Dominican tomorrow (southeast coast) to help him put together a second application which I am going to send by courier from Canada. It's a very, very frustrating experience to go through!

S

Sue

If it takes less than a year before he gets to Canada - consider yourself lucky.

J

Jodi

Spousal applications are supposed to take top priority....I'm told that 6 months is realisitic. I surpassed the requirements to be his sponsor, plus he has a job waiting for him here in Canada. The first application was sent by courier, so while I'm down there I'm going to have the courier trace who in the embassy in Haiti signed for it. So long as I get that proof, I'll be demanding that the second application is back dated to October.

S

Sue

Good luck - just be warned things don't work down there like they do here. My friend sponsored her husband and it took approx a year. What do you mean you surpassed the requirements, - because I don't think the authorities will care. They will traet your application just like everyone else's. Plus I hope you find someone who can speak English at the Embassy - I found them extremely difficult to deal with. Not the ones in the DR, but the ones in Haiti. You're better off if you can speak French.

J

Jodi

I've heard that before about the fact that the employees in the Canadian embassy in Haiti don't speak much english. I'm just going to keep on top of my MP's office to keep on top of the embassy...that's what I pay taxes for.

C

Charlie

My friend and I were also turned down last March. The DR1 has all the details on how to get a visa. I wrote it out for them. I'm sure that if you e-mail them they will send it to you. Sue and I have become friends over this topic. Please feel free to e-mail me about your situation and maybe we can help each other out. It turns out that the 3 girls I have met this way all have male friends in the DR that know each other. It really is a small world. Maybe we know your friend. If he is from the North Coast , we probably do.

Lynda alias Charlie

T

Tom

Can I make the same suggestion I have to U S Citizens? IT IS NOT THE DOMINICAB, but the Canadian Embassy as it is the US. The only way you are going to make any change is to write your Governtment Represenative with these disgusting stories and demand change

Tom

T

Tom

>>>>>I'll be demanding that the second application is back dated to October.

Jodi

This is commendable, but who are ou going to make your "Demands" to, and do you think they will listen to you any more than the thousands of others who have done this. The Embassy has the paperwork, they are just throwing darts at a board deciding who they will be "nice to today"

Tom

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Neither I nor my family have had any problems obtaining visitors' visa to Canada. As a matter of fact, the last time we applied we obtained 5-year multiple reentry visas. I know that our case it not the typical one: we are well-off Dominicans who have been going back and forth to Canada since 1962 (I went to High School at St. Andrew's College near Toronto) when no visas were needed at all. If I remember correctly, the visa requirement was put in place in the middle 1980's when a planeload full of Dominicans arrived in Montreal with the intention of going from there into the U.S. illegally.

A

ann

Getting the visa is the easy part.Keeping track of the person you have sponsored is the hard part. My husband vanished three months after he arrived - just like the embassy predicted he would. Be careful.

M

Manuel

HI Ann,

Sorry about your sad experience, but you know, It'ss not always that way. My friend went to live with his wife to Canada and they have been together for 3 years and are doing just fine and happy.

I agee with you she should be careful,and get to know the person well to make sure this person is a true friend that would not let you down.

Happy new year!

T

Tom

I trust you reported this to Immigration. The more people that "follow the rules" the more chance of Immigration trusting you

He is surely somewhere in the US, with your help, INS should be able to pick him up and deport him, your cooperation will certainly show your good faith. I am sorry about the emotional loss, but much better after 3 months, than 3 children and ten years later. (I know it makes little comfort, but we must deal in reality)

Tom

S

Sue

You are right you are not a typical case. You went to St. Andrew's College, one of the most presigious private schools in Ontario, your family is well off and you are a lawyer. Do you really think you would be getting a visa if you were an ordinary working class Dominican. Money talks and unfortunately the majority of Dominicans don't have it and these are the people that are being routinely discriminated against by the Canadian Embassy. And these are also the people that most of us have invited to Canada with no success. I'm happy for you in that you have had no problem getting a visa but your case has little in common with the majority of the cases. Like I said earlier, without money (lots of it), property or a business - forget about it :(

K

Kim

Ann, my heart goes out to you. I guess Tom's advice here is paramount - caution always, & have "Plan B" in place. Manuel, it is so nice to hear the succes stories.

T

Tom

Re: VISA - Canada/complain

Complain to your MP until they do something. Its a political game and you have to write, call and scream When enough people get their attention, something may happen.

Tom

D

DR One

Applicants from the DR requesting a visitors visa to Canada must do the following: 1. Obtain and fill out an application form available at Cdn Embassy in Santo Domingo and at the Cdn. Consulate in Puerto Plata. 2. Have a valid passport. Cost is about 750 pesos. 3. Have proof of a bank account with a substantial balance so that the person has reason to return to the DR. Owning property would also help. 4. Have an extra passport photo for the visa. 5. Obtain a letter from their employer stating what they do, how long they have been working, and whether they are allowed vacation time. 6. They must have a letter of invitation from someone in Canada that states how long they have known each other, the Canadian's employment and proof of income, home, etc. and that the Canadian is willing to be financially responsible for their friend from the DR. ( I included my T4 slip, photo of house and car, photo of me with his family) 7. A bank draft, money order for 750 pesos for a one time visa or 1500 pesos for a multiple visa. (The lady at the Embassy told me to go for the one time visa first because they don't normally issue a multiple visa for a first time application) 8. Take all of the above to the Canadian Enbassy in Santo Domingo, in person only, on Monday or Thursday morning between 9am and 11am. 9. You will be told to return in 2 weeks to get your passport, papers, etc back and hopefully a visa.

We went through this complete process, travelling from Puerto Plata, only to be turned down. It is very frustrating. I even had a relative who is a member of parliament write a letter of invitation. I don't know how long it will take or how many times we will have to apply but we will keep trying.

I hope you can pass on this information to those who need it.

Lynda Rollins alias CHARLIE.

T

Tom

Well Cahrlie, it appears from almost all the other posts regarding Canidan Visa's, I made a pretty good guess.Maybe your attitude shows through when you attempt athier matters also

And I will reaad and post as I choose, thank you

To