Sosua to Las Terrenas Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
I'm considering a Sosua to Las Terrenas trip. Is anyone familiar enough with the bus system to tell me the best option? So far, my research shows two bus options, but I'm uncertain of either.

Supposedly, there's an El Canerio bus from Puerto Plata to Samana that stops at 7 a.m. at the Sosua bus stop. Is that right, and where's that? And, can I count on that bus making a stop in Sanchez for me to transfer up to Las Terrenas on a gua gua?

Supposedly, there's also a Transporte Papagayo bus from Puerto Plata to Sanchez that leaves 6:45 a.m. from the Puerto Plata hospital. I sure don't want to go west into the city to head back east to Sanchez. I wonder if that bus makes a pickup stop in Sosua?

Its my first trip to the DR; I need guidance.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The guagua originating in front of the Ricardo Limardo hospital in POP does go through Sosua so you can pick it up there....although pick up times are "Dominican time" and somewhat unpredictable so be prepared to wait out for it ahead of schedule.

It does definately stop in Sanchez, just inform the cobrador that you want to get off there...and then negotiate a rate up to LT with any of the waiting taxis.

Reactions: Rocky

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
There was a guagua directly connecting Puerto Plata and Las Terrenas, which also stops at Sosua. Unfortunately I can?t tell you more about this, I never used it.

There are also guaguas from PP to Santa Barbara wiht stop at Sanchez. From Sanchez (and from Santa Barbara, too) there?re other guaguas to LT, you don?t have to pay a taxi. But I don?t know if they run at nighttime.

Here is a link to Caribe Tours, perhaps it might help you.

Saludos

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
Thanks for the quick response and info.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on grabbing a gua gua for such a long trip - with my luggage bag and need for a bathroom. I had hoped for a normal, big bus.

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for the quick response and info.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on grabbing a gua gua for such a long trip - with my luggage bag and need for a bathroom. I had hoped for a normal, big bus.

Sorry for my bad language. Caribe Tours also runs big busses for the long distances, but they could be very crowded as well. maybe you?ll have to pay extra for your luggage.
I once went from Rio San Juan to PP, it was interesting, but not comfortable at all. So for short distances I take a concho or a guagua, for longer distances I take a taxi or rent a 4wd.

Best wishes

jcf

Dec 18, 2008
According to the guide books, Metro and Caribe don't make the run between Sosua and Samana. I think I'm stuck with the alternative Mickey Mouse gua gua transportation sytems - which may be ok for a short distance, but doesn't sound attractive for a first time visitor making a long haul with luggage.

I may end up exploring LT on a future trip.

Thanks

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
According to the guide books, Metro and Caribe don't make the run between Sosua and Samana. I think I'm stuck with the alternative Mickey Mouse gua gua transportation sytems - which may be ok for a short distance, but doesn't sound attractive for a first time visitor making a long haul with luggage.

I may end up exploring LT on a future trip.

Thanks

You are correct, neither Metro or Caribe tours offer service on this route.

Not sure how much luggage you will have but you can bring a reasonable amount on the gua gua, we did.

Reactions: Tamborista
Status
Not open for further replies.