Inverter

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
What is the cost of an inverter in the DR?

I want one that can supply electricity to a 3BR, 1 Bath apartment during the daily blackouts.
Where is a good place to buy one in the Puerto Plata area and what is the cost in RD pesos?

There are different types of invertors, but for your situation I would budget about 1100 USD for the purchase (Santo Domingo price). This would include an invertor and 4 batteries. This will not power a/c units, refrigerators, etc., only fans, lights and TV's etc.

I recommend getting a Xantrex, formerly known as Trace, inverter. You can go with either a 1.5 KW inverter with 4 batteries or if you want to power a refrigerator and have some extra reserve you could get a 2.5 KW inverter with 8 batteries. The 1.5 KW unit could also be used with 8 batteries, but running the refrigerator could tax it to it's limits, although I have certainly used one that way.

Batteries are between 3,500 and 5,000 pesos each depending upon the brand name and quality, so keep that in mind when you work up your budget, plus the installation fee. As the poster mentioned, getting the inverter (and batteries) from Santo Domingo will save you some pesos if that works for you.

Where in Santo Domingo? Any store in particular like Carrefour?

Feb 7, 2007
Long time ago they were selling inverters by Fondeur (in Carrefour).

If you want dominican inverter, just get any daily and look into classifieds section, you will see many ads there. Other option is to go Trace/Xentrex but that's expensive.

There can be found quality DR made inverters, you just have to look around and do some checking

tainojr

Jan 14, 2009
Very important.
It is not advisable to try to bring batteries into the country.
It is better to buy them there.
It would cost too much to have them shipped, pay the import tax, etc.
I just took an inverter there and it worked just fine with two batteries to power the lights during the frequent blackouts.

chileanheart

Dec 30, 2008
save me endless searching, please. :) Do American electrical appliances work in Dominican? Or is the current different. I'm used to Peru where nothing from the U.S. can be used. Thanks

chileanheart

Dec 30, 2008
Yes, US appliances work in the DR. The AC outlets are the same as found in the US ( with the exception that most of them actually don't have a ground wire connected) A few appliances might give you trouble if you have an inverter/battery system, but most everything works. My microwave doesn't work, for example from my Trace DR inverter, but everything else I currently have does. One solution is to get a true SINE wave inverter, but they are much more expensive.

That said, one thing to be aware of is that you should have surge protection because of all the voltage spikes that happen. Sometimes a voltage regulator is needed if you have low voltage, which can be very damaging to some devices.

Thanks. Good information. I was thinking in terms of a wireless router and a pc. And a TV. Sounds as if they will work ok. I'm talking in terms of Santo Domingo, I wonder if the electricity is more reliable there than in other areas.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thanks. Good information. I was thinking in terms of a wireless router and a pc. And a TV. Sounds as if they will work ok. I'm talking in terms of Santo Domingo, I wonder if the electricity is more reliable there than in other areas.

The electricity service in Santo Domingo cannot be described summarily. Some neighborhoods enjoy good service, while others do not. Do you know the name of the neighborhood you will be staying? Or the major near by intersections. If I am familiar with the frequency of black outs there, I will revert back.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That said, one thing to be aware of is that you should have surge protection because of all the voltage spikes that happen. Sometimes a voltage regulator is needed if you have low voltage, which can be very damaging to some devices.
I don't know if the setup is common, but my 3.5kw inverter acts as a whole-house surge protector, too. It has saved the day more than once.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
I live in Costambar & have just survived a 5 day blackout with a Trace DR Series invertor & 4 Trojan red batteries. However all my neighbours were without power for the last day or two & some have 8 batteries. There are 2 of us in a 1-bed condo.

For a 3-bed condo I'd definitely recommend 8 batteries & buy the best you can afford!

However no matter what precautions you take at some point you WILL be without power or water, it is inevitable & one of the many joys of living on this delightful island ...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Not sure if the OP is sorted yet but would like to recommend Alexis Inversores in Gasper Hernandez. He supplied us with 2 new inverters just over 2 years ago and has honoured the 2 year guarantee absolutely, recently supplied us with much needed new batteries and both his service and attendance to our needs has been great. If you would like his details of telephone numbers and email address, please PM me.