Requesting specific immigration information

missymoon

Jun 19, 2008
Happy New Year to all, the questions I am posting I haven't been able to find them in the archives so please if I have missed them forgive me for the oversight.
My family and I will be moving to The Dominican Republic at the end of summer and I want to know if we can make the move completely at that time on a tourist visa and then contact our lawyers once we arrive and begin the process of gaining temporary residency without leaving the country. The reason for this is to avoid having to transfer our two kids under 11 in the middle of a school year when the provisional residency is granted.
The 2nd question is in relation to the possibility of opening a bank account or being able to rent a home without Cedulas since I am learning how important they are in doing the above tasks.

I appreciate all help on these questions in advance.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1 :). It is possible that several hours have elapsed before anyone has answered because they noticed that when you started a thread last time, you didn't go back & answer the questions which were posed in order to help responders answer you more fully. I appreciate that you're new to this board, so may not have realised that.

Yes you can move on a tourist visa & then begin the residency process - you don't have to leave the DR again to do this. But you will need certain documents translated/legalised before you arrive (see other threads) in order to bring them with you. Yes you can probably rent somewhere using your passport as ID. Bank accounts might be a little harder - there have been recent posts saying a c?dula is needed (in the past a passport sufficed).

Can I enquire, how many times you have visited the DR please? And I would be grateful if you would return to the thread and respond. Many thanks.

missymoon

Jun 19, 2008
Thank you Lambada, I was wondering why no one was responding, I am so sorry to everyone that might have though I was being rude before, that was not my intention. I know the etiquette for using the forum now.
I personally have not been to the DR, my husband has been a few times but we are both caribbean nationals so I do understand the different pace of government agencies and the like.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks for getting back. Since your move also involves children I would strongly suggest an exploratory visit prior to moving, to see if this is the place for you. Whilst the laid back attitude is something you will be well versed in, the DR has other, shall we say, idiosyncrasies :cheeky: which can really throw you off balance if you're not expecting them.

Wish you well.

missymoon

Jun 19, 2008
lol thanks for all of your advice... and enjoy the weather I just gone done shoveling snow for the second time today.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Happy New Year to all, the questions I am posting I haven't been able to find them in the archives so please if I have missed them forgive me for the oversight.
My family and I will be moving to The Dominican Republic at the end of summer and I want to know if we can make the move completely at that time on a tourist visa and then contact our lawyers once we arrive and begin the process of gaining temporary residency without leaving the country. The reason for this is to avoid having to transfer our two kids under 11 in the middle of a school year when the provisional residency is granted.
The 2nd question is in relation to the possibility of opening a bank account or being able to rent a home without Cedulas since I am learning how important they are in doing the above tasks.

I appreciate all help on these questions in advance.

I was able to open a bank account a scotiabank with my passport, letter of reference from my Foreign bank, Drivers license, reference letter from a Dominican professional and $8000PESODR min. deposit. This however is only a chequing account and in DR PESOS.