Sosua Mar Club in the Hills of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Can anyone provide a little history about the development that consists of a great many separate units in front of a structure called the Sosua Mar Club which houses a huge swimming pool and behind it, tennis courts. What is/was the name of the development? Who owns it? I have heard that these units are now being sold separately and that five units are now occupied or are being renovated.

teresia

Sep 4, 2002
yes it was a hotel long time ago, later it was sold as condos. It has diffrent owners. And there are some owners that own 5 or 7 of them. Several are for sale now.

pas

Jun 7, 2004
i55bns.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Was it an all Inclusive hotel back then, I went to Sosua in 1991 with my parents (was a teen back then) and the AI hotel was in the hills, we had to walk 10-15 minutes to go in the city. I was looking for the name of the Hotel.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
yes it is the hils of sosua ...
and believe it was an al in hotel..
here are a few more pictures..
Panoramio - Photos by likedr

I think this is it, thx alot, I went there twice last year, wanted to go see what it look like now, but was always busy doing other stuff, next time I go I'll go see it. It was a nice hotel, cant beleive they close, maybe because it was too far from the beach, coz beside that it was way nicer then Casa Marina.

theman

Aug 25, 2008
Oh and also you never mentioned in your trip report that casa marina was bad

http://www.dr1.com/forums/trip-reports/80847-back-sosua-wowwwwwwwwwwww.html

I cant wait to go back...

sounded like you loved it more than anything. :bunny:

just a thought.

And I went back, I couldnt wait to go back to Sosua, not Casa Marina, I went there only coz it was cheap and AI, 7004 canadian for hotel and plane for 1 week. And I said the one I went in the hill was better, not that Casa Marina is that bad, but it's a 3 star and that's what we get!

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
I have walked the Sosua Mar club about a month ago.
The people living there said it was for sale, the whole place for $10,000US.
They also said that an American started it, married a Dominican and then they divorced, she now owns it still. This is what I was told.
The place is in poor shape. I did not get a chance to see the individual apt's or condos, but would have to assume that they are just shells, totally unkept and in major need of repair/ maintenance. The main pool house and tennis court area buildings have all been stripped of wires and what not and are just a shell of a building. A mini resort that once was probably very nice but now almost in disrepair.

fuzzyeti

Jul 20, 2009
It used to be called Club Escapade in the late 80's early 90's...I went several times during that time. :classic:

theman

Aug 25, 2008
It used to be called Club Escapade in the late 80's early 90's...I went several times during that time. :classic:

Exactly, now I remember. Hope come such a nice place became like that, I remember it was in 2 section.

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
JD,
drive up there and enter the main drive on the left. You will see a row of condo's/ apts. on your left. This is where people where obviously living/ staying about 6 units down as I recall.
I walked past the other apts., down the hill to the pool/ tennis area. They looked stripped as you can imagine a mini resort, deserted and freebies everywhere for the local ladrones.
As mentioned earlier, it is in pretty bad shape and getting worse just sitting there.
$10,000US was the figure an old man told me, he also claimed to be the caretaker. What he was taking care of I have no idea.
When I was told the price I knew something was not right.
It's worth the effort to look into, but it's a money pit as it stands IMO

intrawebs

Jan 13, 2010
Club Escapade

Really is this what happened to Club Escapade I & II. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon back in 1993. I remember there was one club way up on the hill where most of the entertainment and meals where available and the lower one closer to the town of Sosua.

So this is what happened to that place? sad... I was looking for pics to show our kids, oh well.

I did come across a place that seemed very familiar and thought that maybe this was the lower Club Escapade but renovated. What do you think?

clubresidencial.com - Our Complex

F

fthguy

this place is sale individual condos 2 bed 2bat living dinner 2 floor sale each in 30,000 dll you look in 5 to 8ooo repair, no is bad deal have 7 sold and remodelation and look great , howw buy gringos

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
wow...looks like it would make a nice family community...just needs someone to take care of it like some of the other condo groups i've seen...

from what i've noticed...seems ev1 wants to build somewhere else...runs out of money....another project eyesore sits there....and then they do it all over again :)

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
Uploaded photo's of club

Finally, I have found the time to upload some photos I took on my trip up the hill at the club. It only took a year for me to to this! Not bad considering I am on Dominican time.
PICT0047a.jpg

PICT0046a.jpg

PICT0050a.jpg

PICT0052a.jpg

PICT0051a.jpg

PICT0048a.jpg

Kakale

Oct 7, 2010
Super Opportunity

Guys, I understand what you are saying here. But I can tell you, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. At least, this is how I see it:

1- 10 minutes from a beautiful beach in Sosua. But up in a hill where you don't have to hear nothing.
2- 30 minutes from Cabarete, where every year you have the Windsurf competition.
3- I bought mine for 30K dollars, For 1240 SF of construction and 5000 aprox. SF of lot size. 2 Bedrooms and 2 Bathrooms.
4- Right now there are around 10 or 12 families living in the other villas.
5- I was told that there is a group of investors that are planning on buying the Club House, and they will fix the Pool, Tennis court and Bar Area. (That will make your 30K grow, even in this bad economy)
6- I also heard that there is someone selling 3 villas in 30K dollars, and he will paint them, fix the doors, windows and put bars on the windows for protection.
If anyone is interested on some pictures of mine, I can post some, just let me know? I bought mine as a retirement villa, and right now, I just travel from time to time to the DR, and get out of the freezing cold of Nebraska. (So my time for a trip is almost here).

reese_in_va

Feb 22, 2007
My question is.....
How can they sell individual units when it used to be a resort?
Who owns it?
Is there a title/ deslinde to a single unit?
What about infra-structure? Power? Water?
What rights do you have? If something goes wrong? No power, no water?
Are there by-laws, such as with condos?
Too much trouble for me to even think about.
Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.