lets talk about DR to cuba trip.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why the hell is it so expensive to go from DR to cuba? the plane ticket varies from 20K direct to 18 k through costa rica. Its insane. Copa charges almost the same.
Is there any tour packages from santo domingo or santiago to cuba? havana is preferred but santiago de cuba is also fine.
I have friends who want to go there, europeans and dominicans but we can't find a deal.
So what is the real deal in this issue?
AZB

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why the hell is it so expensive to go from DR to cuba? the plane ticket varies from 20K direct to 18 k through costa rica. Its insane. Copa charges almost the same.
Is there any tour packages from santo domingo or santiago to cuba? havana is preferred but santiago de cuba is also fine.
I have friends who want to go there, europeans and dominicans but we can't find a deal.
So what is the real deal in this issue?
AZB

AZB...just wait until we start services to HAV....ATL-HAV...LOL

edm7583

May 29, 2007
AZB...just wait until we start services to HAV....ATL-HAV...LOL

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The reason Cuba flights are so expensive is the total lack of direct competition. Cubana and AeroCaribbean (both state entites) have nearly total control of access to the island on all routes except Canada, where there is a little more competition from charters.

From The DR there are, as far as I know 3 options

Cubana SDQ-HAV on an utterly decrepit Soviet aircraft with service only once or twice a week
AeroCaribbean with ATR propeller service from SDQ-SCU (I think this is only once a week)
Copa, via Panama. Which is just as expensive if not more, but you will have an infinitely better chance of making it alive than on the Cuban airlines, but considering you have to fly all the way to Panama, than another flight almost equally as long to HAV, no wonder why its so expensive.

Besides charters, relatively few foreign airlines serve Cuba.
Mexicana via Cancun
Bahamasair via Nassau
Taca via San Jose, Costa Rica
Copa, via Panama City
Air Canada via Toronto
Air Jamaica
Cayman airways
Iberia via Madrid
Air Europa via Madrid

All flights to/from the US are charters. (A US travel agency licensed by the US government to transport eligible passengers to Cuba charters an entire aircraft and sells seats on the plane.) US Customs goes through absolutely everything baggage wise(you are strictly limited to 44lbs your own personal effects including cabin baggage) and interviews passengers before departure. Most of the travel agencies require arrival at the airport 6 hours before departure.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Chiri, thanks for the Emely Tours tip.

Does anyone know what Cubana charges for flight to Havana from Santo Domingo. The Cubana website doesn't seem to be working. Does that say something about their service?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Apparently Emely Tours is recognized as the leader in package tours from Santo Domingo to Cuba. I saw a 2004 article on line saying it generates US$1.5 million for Emely Tours annually.

Here is part of that 2004 article:

"Santo Domingo-based Emely Tours is capitalizing on the growing trade and tourism ties between the Dominican Republic and Cuba.

"Graciela Rosario, the agency's director of Cuba travel, says 105 Dominicans a week travel to Cuba, and that Emely Tours has 40% of that business. Cubana de Aviacion, which has an office in Santo Domingo, controls the remaining 60%.

"Emely, whose Cuba-related sales total $1.5 million a year, books nonstop flights from Santo Domingo to Havana on Thursdays and Sundays via Cubana, and daily flights via Copa, as well as nonstop flights Mondays and Fridays from Santo Domingo to Santiago de Cuba on Cubana. It also arranges accommodations at luxury ..."

Colonial Tours seems to have a package, also, but you have to email them for details. Cuba : Hoteles en La Habana y Santiago desde Santo Domingo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Any problems for Americans leaving from here?

Have any United Staters taken the Emily Tour? I have heard that there is no problem on the Cuban end - entering with a US passport they just stamp a seperate page.... and that for the US customs etc, they just track your credit card transactions... so has anyone done this tour? Any experiences? You can PM me if you don't want to get busted ...

This - I know- would be a really great opportunity for a lot of USers who really want to visit Cuba-- assuming that there is really no difficulty.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Have any United Staters taken the Emily Tour? I have heard that there is no problem on the Cuban end - entering with a US passport they just stamp a seperate page.... and that for the US customs etc, they just track your credit card transactions... so has anyone done this tour? Any experiences? You can PM me if you don't want to get busted ...

This - I know- would be a really great opportunity for a lot of USers who really want to visit Cuba-- assuming that there is really no difficulty.

Maybe it would be good to contact Eddie Lubbers of: Cuba Travel - Flights to Cuba - Cuba Hotels

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
It is, however, illegal for U.S. citizens to spend any money on the island (which is why most Americans fly to Cuba via Canada or Mexico). As the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control states on their website, “The basic goal of the sanctions is to isolate the Cuban government economically and deprive it of U.S. dollars. Criminal penalties for violating the sanctions range up to 10 years in prison, $1,000,000 in corporate fines, and $250,000 in individual fines.”

maybe this is another reason....

curiosita

Jun 4, 2007
US Citizens BE CAREFUL

As most are well aware, it is illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba without special permission. Even on flights originating outside the US. Even if that US citizen is not a resident of the United States.

In recent years U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these rules (who knows where Obama will take things). Plus, if you travel to Cuba illicitly you could face fines and/or criminal prosecution (250k/ 10 years) upon return to the United States. There are also several cases of professional licenses (eg. doctors, lawyers, teachers) being revoked for prohibited travel to Cuba.

As we are living abroad, US citizens often forget this limitation. But, I know more than one individual who has gotten into trouble for this (including a friend whose passport got noticed because of stamps in the DR and Haiti... among other places.).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Oh, this is sooooo foolish...

As most are well aware, it is illegal for US citizens to travel to Cuba without special permission. Even on flights originating outside the US. Even if that US citizen is not a resident of the United States.

In recent years U.S. law enforcement authorities have increased enforcement of these rules (who knows where Obama will take things). Plus, if you travel to Cuba illicitly you could face fines and/or criminal prosecution (250k/ 10 years) upon return to the United States. There are also several cases of professional licenses (eg. doctors, lawyers, teachers) being revoked for prohibited travel to Cuba.

As we are living abroad, US citizens often forget this limitation. But, I know more than one individual who has gotten into trouble for this (including a friend whose passport got noticed because of stamps in the DR and Haiti... among other places.).

Thanks for the reminder, yes, I guess I had forgotten about how stupid our foreign policy towards Cuba is/was... However, I guess my question was really - I had heard that they (meaning CUBA) do NOT stamp the US passports of incoming people and that - well, if you carry cash, how will they know if you go from here? I do assume that we are going to CHANGE that Cuba policy soon,,,,, and since civil disobedience is a long and proud tradition,,.just wanted any info.......

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Thanks for the reminder, yes, I guess I had forgotten about how stupid our foreign policy towards Cuba is/was... However, I guess my question was really - I had heard that they (meaning CUBA) do NOT stamp the US passports of incoming people and that - well, if you carry cash, how will they know if you go from here? I do assume that we are going to CHANGE that Cuba policy soon,,,,, and since civil disobedience is a long and proud tradition,,.just wanted any info.......

you are correct, the Cuban gov't won't stamp the passport when you get there. However, won't the DR gov't stamp your passport when you leave DR? Won't they also stamp your passport when you return to the DR from Cuba?

A US Customs official may question this. When you return to the US, there is a form you fill out that asks where else have you visited while in DR.

my post is in no way saying you should or should not do it. Just look at the situation from every angle.

One last thing I want to clairfy, it is NOT illegal for a US Citizen to visit Cuba. It is illegal for a US citizen to spend money in Cuba.

You can visit Cuba if you can provide documentation that someone will sponsor your visit there. For example, a Dominican family member or friend who is not restricted can do this for you. Paperwork and red tape is involved so some people tend to just go illegally and risk it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
thanks so much

you are correct, the Cuban gov't won't stamp the passport when you get there. However, won't the DR gov't stamp your passport when you leave DR? Won't they also stamp your passport when you return to the DR from Cuba?

A US Customs official may question this. When you return to the US, there is a form you fill out that asks where else have you visited while in DR.

my post is in no way saying you should or should not do it. Just look at the situation from every angle.

One last thing I want to clairfy, it is NOT illegal for a US Citizen to visit Cuba. It is illegal for a US citizen to spend money in Cuba.

You can visit Cuba if you can provide documentation that someone will sponsor your visit there. For example, a Dominican family member or friend who is not restricted can do this for you. Paperwork and red tape is involved so some people tend to just go illegally and risk it.

thanks so much, Carlos, for that- I hadn't even thought about the gap in my passport- Never thought that they looked that hard at it -- but now, of course, I would ALWAYS think about it and then be really really nervous and look like a terrorist so of course they would scour my passport.....

scratch Cuba til they change the policy.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't hold your breath.

The reason Cuba flights are so expensive is the total lack of direct competition. Cubana and AeroCaribbean (both state entites) have nearly total control of access to the island on all routes except Canada, where there is a little more competition from charters.

From The DR there are, as far as I know 3 options

Cubana SDQ-HAV on an utterly decrepit Soviet aircraft with service only once or twice a week
AeroCaribbean with ATR propeller service from SDQ-SCU (I think this is only once a week)
Copa, via Panama. Which is just as expensive if not more, but you will have an infinitely better chance of making it alive than on the Cuban airlines, but considering you have to fly all the way to Panama, than another flight almost equally as long to HAV, no wonder why its so expensive.

Besides charters, relatively few foreign airlines serve Cuba.
Mexicana via Cancun
Bahamasair via Nassau
Taca via San Jose, Costa Rica
Copa, via Panama City
Air Canada via Toronto
Air Jamaica
Cayman airways
Iberia via Madrid
Air Europa via Madrid

All flights to/from the US are charters. (A US travel agency licensed by the US government to transport eligible passengers to Cuba charters an entire aircraft and sells seats on the plane.) US Customs goes through absolutely everything baggage wise(you are strictly limited to 44lbs your own personal effects including cabin baggage) and interviews passengers before departure. Most of the travel agencies require arrival at the airport 6 hours before departure.

Delta Hold the rights to flight to Cuba...right now as a Charter because the embargo...but after that they will operate that route.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I'm Canadian I went to Cuba in 2005, and they only stamped my tourist visa card and not my passport. Is there a reason for this? because as you all know there is no embargo for Canada to Cuba.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Carlitos

"One last thing I want to clairfy, it is NOT illegal for a US Citizen to visit Cuba. It is illegal for a US citizen to spend money in Cuba."
Quoting "Carlos": above.

It is impossible to travel to a foreign country and not spend money.

See: travel.state.com

Look around and find the answer. There are several, depending on your circumstances.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm Canadian I went to Cuba in 2005, and they only stamped my tourist visa card and not my passport. Is there a reason for this? because as you all know there is no embargo for Canada to Cuba.

Perhaps they do this for everybody to lessen the chance of making a mistake when handed a passport by somebody who is not supposed to be there.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You can travel with a well-to-do dominican and claim he has gifted you a trip to cuba. I have personally seen americans who travel to cuba on regular basis from Dr and canada. i know of guys who have gone there 4 times a year and have spent a great length of time there. One person travels from canada to havana regularly. he is an american passport holder.
So what is this fuss about getting caught? The only people who have been caught were the ones who brought back some merchandise from cuba or had a stamp or something very obvious. remember there are some people who do stupid things. They travel with a brand new passport with only 2 stamps in it. they they get caught by the gap in traveling. Example: they get a new passport. they enter DR and get an entrance stamp. then they go to cuba so upon leaving DR they get an exit stamp with date posted on it. They spend 4 days in cuba and come back to DR and get another entrance stamp posted with date. Then they leave DR so they get another exit stamp with date posted. now they come to USA and get their first arrival stamp. With only 4 stamps from DR and empty time out from DR to no where entrance stamp, it raises red flags.
So passports with high number of stamps will become challenging for the immigration office to put things in real time frame. So you get away. this is my understanding.
AZB