Ordering CAIPS Notes...re Immigration Canada

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Has anyone ever ordered their CAIPS notes during the application process?

I read on another immigration forum about many people who are sponsoring family members to Canada from all over the world ordering a copy of their CAIPS notes every few months during the process to see whats going on with their application and/or to see what notes the IO's have written on their files.

They seem to talk about it like its the normal thing to do & I have never read about anyone doing it on DR1 and just wondered if anyone knows much about it?

I am curious if it might be helpful to those that aren't getting many answers from Haiti or the MP's office.

Sangria

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
thanks for finding that link!

i think they basically give a brief overview of the file using codes and any notes that may tell us if there is something questionable in the application that they want to know more about.

i saw on the link you provided a decoder list to figure out what they are talking about on the paper.

i also believe it lists the "BF" bring forward dates that say when the next time they will look at the application.

apparently they take about a month to receive so anyone that is at the 6 month mark or more may want to have a look & see what is happening with their file.

i have never heard anyone on this site talk about having ordered them. i was thinking about ordering them in a month or so after we have passed the 6 month mark too...just wasn't sure if anyone had any experience in this area

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
Sangria,
I thought I had read somewhere if you look into that it takes much longer?? Who knows what is true or not true.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Would it take longer because then they need to pull your file out of file order? Would they not put it back into its original placement?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
from what i have been reading the request is from ottawa & they just print something from the computer.

i have seen what one looks like & it is just basic facts listed by a numerical code

these codes are what indicates any red flags.

ex. marital status - 5

5 might mean older woman married younger man
1 might mean no concerns

something like that

and you use the decoding list to see what they have to say about your application.

from what i can see it shouldn't impact us but i am trying to learn more about it before i make the request.

the people i have been reading about are applying from india, phillipines, usa etc and those applications are using done quite fast 3-6 months.

it doesn't seem to be slowing them down any but Haiti might be a different story altogether.

i will post more as i learn more

sangria

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Question around the form

I think this might me a good idea..just reading through the form and website. Will give us an idea of where or if things are happening with the file.

Also, we can be proactive on getting documentation or such if these notes show to be an issue to hopefully speed up the process

It is frustrating waiting (as all of you can agree) and not knowing where the application is and what type of time frame we are looking at. If anyone is like me...I am a planner and not knowing when my husband will be here is driving me absolutely crazy!!!

Reading the form it looks like we only need to request the notes on file, my question is consent. Basically I am requesting information on my husbands file and since i am the Canadian Citizen living in Canada I can request the information without his consent?

Maybe i am reading this wrong but i see nowhere where he needs to give me the authorization to have access to this information

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
i just posted a question on the other forum & there are answers coming in.

i will wait another hour or so & then write whatever feedback they give.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Info on caips notes part 1

GENERAL INFORMATION ON CAIPS NOTES

What is CAIPS?
CAIPS stands for Computer Assisted Immigration System. It is part of the Electronic Data Processing (EDP) system used by the Canadian Immigration offices to process visa applications outside Canada.

When to get your CAIPS file?
If you have been invited for an interview, get your CAIPS file to better prepare for the interview.
If you feel that your application is taking much longer than usual, or you have not heard anything from the visa office for a long time, then you should consider getting your CAIPS file to check your case status.
If you have any question regarding the application or you are just curious about your application

What kind of information is available in CAIPS file?
CAIPS contains your all immigration information.
1) The status of your case and required documents (received or not, valid or invalid, etc)
2) Visa officer's comments on your case
3) Quesitons that you will be asked in the interview (if an interview is required)

How long does it to get my CAIPS file?
From three weeks (at least) to 36 business days (at most).

What is the difference between CAIPS and CIC's e-cas ?
CAIPS contains much more information than the information e-cas does.
In most cases, CIC's e-cas only contains no more than three lines of information while a typical CAIPS file has 7 pages.

Will the request of my CAIPS file delay my Canadian Immigration application anyway?
Absolutely not.
To request your CAIPS file does not affect the processing of your Canadian Immigration application because your CAIPS file is requested & sent directly from CIC headquater in Ottawa while your application is processed in Port au Prince.
Immigration officers in the Consulate or Embassy who review your application do not know of your request.

**info taken from www.caipshelp.com/faq

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
no problem.

i will post HOW TO ORDER part 2 shortly.

apparently there is a little more to it than the link that bjnissa posted...but i am still clarifying that

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for all of that info Sangria. It is very helpful! I am not yet in the process of having to apply for a permanent residency visa, but when I do I am happy to know that I will be able to get at least some answers on the progress of our file. :)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
im sorry i haven't posted exactly how to order them yet.

i will call to the call center in the morning...i tried today but they were too busy & not accepting anymore calls for over 1 hour.

i will post everything that we need to do step by step & the links to the forms....they are not easy to find on the cic website.

still trying to clarify if our spouses need to sign something or if we can do it ourselves as sponsor/representatives..

hopefully will have some answers posted tomorrow morning!

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
How fantastic is that - do I ever wish we had known about that!!! I would have totally ordered them for us! Good luck ladies - I can't wait to hear what some of you get for feedback - how terrific!!!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Info on caips notes part 2

TO ORDER CAIPS NOTES

There are 5 steps :
1) Fill out Form IMM 5563
2) Fill out Form IMM 5475
3) Include photocopy of both passports/photo id with signature
4) Include $5.00 Payment
5) Send by mail/fax to Ottawa

IMM 5563 ?Acess to Information & Personal Information Request?
To be filled out by Sponsor or Representative residing in Canada
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5563B.pdf

IMM 5475 ?Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual"
To be filled out by Applicant
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5475E.pdf

$5.00 Payment
Cheque or Money Order made payable to ?The Receiver General for Canada?

Mail to:
Public Rights Administration
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Narono Building
360 Laurier Avenue West, 10th floor
Ottawa, ON
K1A 1L1

princesa_pineda

May 13, 2008
Thanks so much for all the info Sangria! Is that a photocopy of my passport and his or a photocopy of my passport and my id with a signature? Again thanks for your help!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
im not 100% sure who's passport is required so I put to send both.

my gut tells me it would be your husbands but to be on the safe side, I would send both.

the instructions were not very clear...i was sent an email from the representative at the CIC call center but it doesn't specify who is to provide the identification...it doesn't even really say its required but I know it is from reading all the other information on it.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
can you please tell me who would be the applicant? i know thatg i am the sponsor if I am sponsoring my wife but who is the applicant?

thanks

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
The applicant is your wife Carlos. Your wife is applying to be a Permanent Resident therefore the Applicant. Hope that helps!!