Carnival

KoKi9290

Dec 8, 2007
Can someone give me the lowdown on which weekend will be the best for visiting Santiago or La Vega for Carnival? I've been told the 3rd Sunday is the highlight for La Vega. Can anyone confirm this? And I have no information regarding Santiago. Any websites that cover this? Tks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Every Sunday in February, I believe. I've been pretty much every Sunday to both, and can tell no real difference.

KoKi9290

Dec 8, 2007
Tks for the prompt reply. I'll be in Santiago for the 1st Sunday and La Vega/Santiago for the third Sunday. Hope it's all they say.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
no differencre really. i went for 2 sundays last year and it was the same vibe/atmosphere.

Sep 19, 2005
then last sunday is always the biggest is what I have heard and i have been twice during that time...

actually recently the last sunday's activities were in march!!!!

I think feb 27th is a big day for the carnival as is the very last sunday

PS: this info applies only to La Vega ..as far as I know..I know nothing of Santiago's carnival

bad bob

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have been told by Dominicans to go to La Vega on the 27th (Feb)
SHALENA

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Damn I want to go so bad (Never been there for the carnival), but thanks to this US economy I fear for losing my job nowadays more than photographic opportunities.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to what I saw the other day on TV, the 22 in Santiago will be the big day for the POPULAR part of the activities and the 28 will be the big finale...but I don't knw where..Except up by the Monumento...

HB

psriches

May 7, 2005
then last sunday is always the biggest is what I have heard and i have been twice during that time...

actually recently the last sunday's activities were in march!!!!

I think feb 27th is a big day for the carnival as is the very last sunday

PS: this info applies only to La Vega ..as far as I know..I know nothing of Santiago's carnival

bad bob
But isn't the 27th on a Friday?

And then i saw another post stating the 27th was the big day as well in La Vega.

I thought La Vega Carnival was held on the 4 Sunday's in February (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd)?

So wouldn't the big day be the last Sunday, Feb 22nd?

I'm confused!!:ermm:

Sep 19, 2005
But isn't the 27th on a Friday?

And then i saw another post stating the 27th was the big day as well in La Vega.

I thought La Vega Carnival was held on the 4 Sunday's in February (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd)?

So wouldn't the big day be the last Sunday, Feb 22nd?

I'm confused!!:ermm:

no need to be confused... the 27th is a national holiday...Independance day in the DR!!

so not matter what day of the week the 27th is...no one is working and they have a big day at the carnival then!!!

and the last sunday is also big because it is the last regular day of the carnival....unless of course ther 27th comes AFTER the last sunday

which in most cases it probably does knowing how short sighted Feb is ha ha ha ha

bad bob

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Blanquito are you a part of this site? That carnaval on NY sounds awesome. I emailed el tal Lucilio in that post. I am definitely interested to see if at least I can take photography of this.

BlanquitoDeNYC

Apr 15, 2006
I'm not a part of the site. I used it to help plan my trip to La Vega last year. As I can't make it there this year, I'd be very interested in the NY version. I live in Wash Heights, but haven't heard anything about something like this.

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Hey you live in my old neighborhood! I heard back from him and he's interested. So if anything I'll let you know as well.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Carnival Rained off

We went to Santiago today and were told the Carnival was cancelled because of the rain. Stall holders were packing up and there was no Presidente to be found. We were also told that La Vega was off too because of the rain. This was at 15 :30 hrs in Santiago .
This is the first time that I have heard of Carneval being cancelled because of rain.

On our way back via Puerto Plata there was no Carnival there also - cancelled because of the rain. This was about 17:30 and it was pouring.

It was such a shame as we hd gone all that way to see it.

Olly

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
We went to Santiago today and were told the Carnival was cancelled because of the rain. Stall holders were packing up and there was no Presidente to be found. We were also told that La Vega was off too because of the rain. This was at 15 :30 hrs in Santiago .
This is the first time that I have heard of Carneval being cancelled because of rain.

On our way back via Puerto Plata there was no Carnival there also - cancelled because of the rain. This was about 17:30 and it was pouring.

Olly

I was wondering what happened this Sunday due to the rains, That sucks man....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Olly
We went to Carnival in La Vega yesterday, the 8th. It went on as usual. The crowd wasn't as large, prolly because of the threat of rain; it spritzed just a few times, no big deal.

I'm not aware of any of the major groups that didn't participate.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
From Carnival in La Vega last Sunday:
IMG_1056.jpg

:cheeky::ninja: