1 location plus quick option service for Birth certificates, and other documents?

Empress

Jul 31, 2008
Hi all,

So the question I have is as stated above, I'm trying to cover all bases here and see if what I've heard could be correct.

I understand that for one to get their birth certificate, that person must go back to the town of their birth to get it, if not same day, they must return to receive it another day. Mucho $$ and time to travel here!!!

Now, in my understanding this, here's the challenge I feel that most Dominicans face...what if you live in the North, and the town is way off in the South, up in a remote area...

a) Is it possible that one can also get that SAME Birth Certificate upon request in the Santo Domingo Office, or if there is another main office in Puerto Plata?

b) Is it also possible to get the Blood test, Birth Certificate, Extracto de Acta and Acta InExtensa version of Birth Certificates for marriage, name change, application altogether
And Single Status Affidavit (Dominican Consulate) all within the same area too, not to mention getting them all validated/ certified same day?

We're trying to figure out if there may be some form of convenience in terms of location and access to all these necessary documents.

I heard that Santo Domingo office of the Civil Registry Office (Oficial?a del Estado Civil).
if one visits the Santo Domingo Office and pays a 1 hour service fee, I understand that they can be given all documents available in that office within the hour.
My fiance lives in Puerto Plata region, in the country side. We plan to marry in the country side there as well in this Puerto Plata region.
We're trying to avoid future problems of where to get our documents based on "Where did you marry - place #1, Where did you marry - place # 2, where did you get blood test - place # 3" and end up spending a fortune in travelling costs that we just don't have to burn and time.

Any suggestions to ease the strain, or positive experiences, outcomes to share?

Thanks...

Empress

MBG

Nov 13, 2008
Hi Empress!

a) Yes you can go to ''Oficilia del estado civil de Puerto Plata" to get the extracto de acta de nacimiento and so on. You can request them all on the same day of course, but I'm not sure you can get them all on the day (for ex: it might take 1 week for a docment and 3 weeks for another one...)

b)For the medicals, you can only go to Dr. Manuel Mejia-Lopez to the following address:
CLINICA BRUGAL (Mejia-Lopez)
15, Jose Del Carmen Ariza street ( which crosses Malecon street)

This part is quite easy and quick : you pay about 4500 pesos, you get the tests done and the doctor sends your docs...(it takes maximum 3 days for them to get to the embassy)

I hope I was helpful...But I must say whenever one is dealing with public services it always is a strain in DR....

Good luck ad let us know how things are evolving!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
i am assuming you are canadian/american...although not sure

when you say blood test are you referring to immigration medicals or blood test to get married?

if you mean blood test to get married....not required
if you mean blood test for immigraion medicals...you can know have the medicals done in puerto plata...reference the cic website for a complete list of certified doctors (there are 2 in santo domingo & 1 in puerto plata)

for the single status affidavit ... only you require that as a non dominican citizen & i believe it has to be done in the country you are a citizen of and translated notarized/legalized there (i had mine signed & stamped by a notary & then sent to the dominican consulate in toronto to be translated & legalized)

your name change is also done only in your country after you are married & have a marriage certificate.

im not sure whether he will have to go back to his home town to request the birth certificates...hopefully someone will know but you can have him go to the civil office in puerto plata...they will be able to advise & it might save him an unnecessary trip across the country.

my husband is from puerto plata & was able to do everything in puerto plata...no trips to santo domingo required for anything.