Where to Buy Dinnerware on North Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Any suggestions on where to buy dinner plates, mugs etc. in Sosua, Cabarete or POP?
Either separates or set.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would say puerto plata up the road from gonzalez whatever that shop is called opposite the cathedral

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
It's not ON the Coast exactly, but I'd try to have a look at PriceMart first.
There are also a couple of restaurant and hotel biz suppliers in Puerto Plata (one in Plaza 1 on Luis Ginebra Ave.).

... J-D.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Ferreteria Linares in Cabarete (the big one across from Ocean Dream) has a bunch of kitchen stuff.

You might want to check each plate to make sure they are level (no matter where you buy them from). Put each plate on a flat surface to see how much it wobbles.....trust me! The sales people might think you are crazy...but it's better than trying to "catch" your food as the plates spin around on the table because they are uneven! (Been there....done that!!) ;)

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I did check Playero today. They had sets by Vajilla Corona that are made in Columbia. Also individual plates from China.
I'd like to stay away from the ones from China but Columbia could be a possibility. Anyone have these dishes and recommend them?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
PriceMart at times carries Noritake sets for not too much money.
I also seem to remember Ferreteria del Muelle in Puerto Plata to have a special on complete sets of "China" for a very affordable price. (Ferreteria del Muelle is on "La Penetracion", the main road which connects the port of Puerto Plata to the main Hwy (Samana-Santiago)).

I would not buy any of it at Playero. It's too expensive (sold the pieces) and I have yet to see something of an attractive quality. Supermarkets here are for food only. Even the beer is cheaper at most colmados. You will aslo want to be extra careful, checking what they bill you up at the register when you buy "stuff" at Playero. I have found them notorious for "mislabeling" their non-food merchandise and if caught they will insist on the price "in the computer system" EVEN if a price sticker ON the merchandise says differently (lower obviously, always).

China or Colombian? I have a lot of respect for the Colombian industry. However, your chances to find traces of lead in the glazing of Colombian ceramic and especially "terra cota" cookware not destined for export to the EU or US may be equal than with Chinese.

An other country of origin for quality cook and dining ware is Brazil, namely the Tramontina brand. Again, PriceMart carries a lot of Tramontina band articles, some even of professional grade.

... J-D.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
You can check the price of an item at Playero in Sosua at a scanning machine near the back of the store before you bring it to the checkout. We bought very nice light (most of the cheap stuff is so heavy) plates there that will do until we have a chance to go to Santiago where you can find better quality stuff. Distribudora Gonzalez in Puerto Plata also has some nice kitchenware.

Jan 17, 2009
If you just want inexpensive dinnerware, try the "Todo por 10" in Puerto Plata. Most of their plates are white; you'll find pretty much the same stuff that you find at Playero but a lot cheaper. If you're looking for microwavable sets, you'll have to do a lot of searching even in Santiago. I tried Ochoa Hogar in Santiago which is pretty expensive and neither the boxes of their dinnerware or the bottom of their plates said whether they were microwavable or not (nice looking sets though).

Status
Not open for further replies.