Rain? Rain? Please Explain...

J

Jack

I've been reading about abnormally rainy conditions on the North Coast and would like further details. How long have these conditions been present(are we talking weeks/days/months)? Also are these intermittent rain showers on otherwise sunny days or has it been predominantly cloudy and rainy for the majority of the day? Thank you in advance & Happy New Year!

D

DR One

This is the tropics. Rain has been intermittent and more than usual for our "winter" months. In Puerto Plata it has been known to rain for four days, with the sun coming out only briefly. Our reports is that there have been many sunny days, there too. But it is more probable that you will encounter sunny days with an occasional late afternoon or early morning shower. On the south and eastern coasts, it rains less. The extra rain is the trade off for enjoying the lush green vegetation of the North Coast versus the sparse vegetation of the East. Chances are you will have lovely weather when you come.

E

Erin

Is there an optimal month in winter or spring to visit the DR? Is there a rainy season that can be avoided? will i encounter a lot of rain between, say march and may?

Thank You

T

Trudy

Somewhere on Internet I saw a precipitation table of DR. Here goes: Dec thru Mar approx 1.4"-2.4", Apr & Nov 4"-4.8",May thru Oct 6"-7.3". The relative humidity runs between 58%-66%. The temp seems to be mid-80's in afternoon, year round. Never been there so I can't verify any of this.

D

DR One

Climatological changes make historical weather charters inaccurate. For example, December is a month when traditionally it never rains, and there have been abundant short showers. With the exception of the hurricane season months of August and September, it should be accurate enough to predict weather as partly sunny with occasional short showers. In the winter months the temperature declines to 70s in the early morning, and early 90s for noon time in the summertime. Elsewise, the temperature is in pleasant 80s year round.