Sosua for group of girls?

correpollorenco

Jan 17, 2009
Hi,

Me and my friends are thinking of heading over to the DR in April. We are all latinas. First, how is Holy Week around there? Would it be fun or too crowded everywhere? We are looking to go to the beach, hang out, party a little. Ages range from 18-20somethings. We've heard sosua is fun but we're not really into windsurfing or any watersports like that. Any suggestions? Should we spend some days in the capital as well? Thanks!!

Pollorenco

correpollorenco

Jan 17, 2009
By the way, we like both Hip Hop and latin music like salsa, merengue, etc. And we'd like to go to bars with both tourists and locales, though preferably more locals. Thanks again!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi,

Me and my friends are thinking of heading over to the DR in April. We are all latinas. First, how is Holy Week around there? Would it be fun or too crowded everywhere? We are looking to go to the beach, hang out, party a little. Ages range from 18-20somethings. We've heard sosua is fun but we're not really into windsurfing or any watersports like that. Any suggestions? Should we spend some days in the capital as well? Thanks!!

Pollorenco

Sosua is fun and I'm not into windsurfing anymore as a shark ate my board.

The Capital is too hectic if you are on vacation.

Holy week is a blast in Cabarete with bands on the beach and fireworks!

Come to Sosua and dance the night away!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I'm not into windsurfing anymore as a shark ate my board.

Surely not in DR, it would have made the news.... !? :surprised

As for Sosua destination for a group of latinas, I highly recommend it , you get the great beach and like everywhere else in DR you get loads of sankies to dance and drink the night away - bring loads of $$$...

(Cabarete is also 15min away for some alternative.)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Go to Cabarete. Definitely more the place for young ladies than Sosua, even though it's a windsurf/kitesurf/surf destination. You'll enjoy the bars/restaurants on the beach in Cabarete at night more than you would the streets of Sosua. And, for the part of your trip that does not cover the 3-day weekend, you'll find the bars/restaurants have many more people your age, as opposed to Sosua. You'll have choices of budget hotels/condos, AI's (Viva Wyndham the best), or luxury condos. For a group, you'll find condos & eating out aren't much more, if any more expensive than an AI or hotel.

A few notes:
  • book your accomodations as early as possible. almost all tourist destinations fill up quickly with locals over the holiday weekend
  • Try to get something near the center of town so you you can walk to restaurants/bars. Traffic is insane that weekend.
  • music goes off & bars stop serving drinks at midnite Thursday night in observance of Good Friday. bars crank up again midnite friday & go 24 hrs thru sunday
  • it gets reaaaaaaally crowded that weekend. at times difficult to get into a restaurant and difficult to make your way along the beach thru the crowds at night. many cabarete locals stock up and stay home that weekend ;)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
By the way, we like both Hip Hop and latin music like salsa, merengue, etc. And we'd like to go to bars with both tourists and locales, though preferably more locals. Thanks again!

Come during Semana Santa & you'll find tons of Dominicans at most beaches - you won't have to venture out to the small towns unless you really want to. The bars Onno's and Bambu play a lot of hip hop, reggaeton, and occasional salsa, bachata merengue. Right next door at Calamar they play salsa/bachata/merengue every night. And all of these are directly on the beach! :)

correpollorenco

Jan 17, 2009
thanks everyone! and by the way, if i'm not mistaken, sankies are a bad thing.... so we wouldn't want to decide based on that.

cabarete sounds like a lot of fun. are there swimmable areas at the beach there? thanks! and any hotel recommendations?

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Cabarete for sure

Cabarete is far more welcoming and fun for young females.
The beach scene is a lot of fun but very crowded and crazy during Semana santa. Go online to activecabarete.com for information about the area and hotels,etc. Villa Taino might be a good option as they have their own restaurant and nice tiki bar on the beach, and you could easily walk to the other places. There are many options but maybe limited availability.