Cameras in Cuba

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are visitors allowed to take photos in Cuba? I've heard that cameras are confiscated by the Cuban police. Is this true?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Absolutely not true. The only place they asked not to take pictures was in a cemetery on the way to Havana but for a few pesos they allow you to take all the pictures you want in there if you're into that kind of thing. ;)

I even took a picture of a guard/policeman in Havana. I asked first as I would in my own country.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Snap away but be careful

No it's not true. They are however very sensitive about anyone taking pictures of the police and military personnel. You wouldn't want to be caught snapping pictures around military installations either.
Mack

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Got an answer to my question on the official Cuban Customs website with information for visitors. Here it is in English:
Cuban Customs Administration Home Page

"If you are visiting Cuba as tourist you will enjoy the benefits established in the Convention on Customs Facilities for Tourism. You will have the right to enter items for your personal use carried in your check-baggage or in your hand-baggage, that there is no reason to consider that these rights are being used in excesive quantities and they will be reexported when leaving the country.

To this effect, personal items are in addition to clothings and other articles that can reasonably be considered of personal use by the tourist, taking into account the circumstances of the trip, and other items according to the type of tourism, such as:

* Photo and video cameras, camping tent, fishing gear, bicycle, sports equipments, laptop computer, equipments for recording and reproducing sounds.

If you are only carrying your personal items and cash not exceeding $5000,00 USD or its equivalent in other currencies, YOU DO NOT NEED TO FILL OUT THE CUSTOMS DECLARATION."

Thanks to Mack and AnnaC for their helpful posts.

Mar 2, 2008
Certainly not true when I was there.

I was told I couldn't take pictures of the US foreign mission, but that was the only constraint.

Sorry, posted too late.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Maybe we should open up a new section called CUBA.

Since the OP is a resident of the DR some latitude is reasonable as the connection to the DR is where his trip will originate.

Gregg
Mod.

Last edited by a moderator: