Informal Humanitarian mission trips

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
I am interested in volunteering for a period of about 3 months anywhere in the DR. My husband and I have traveled several times to provide donations of clothing, toys, shoes, etc. to several different areas. These have always been quick, 2-week trips.

Does anyone know of any group, school, etc. that could use volunteers? I have worked for Head Start (working with children ages 6 weeks - 5 years)for many years. I am bi-lingual. I am not interested in paying thousands of dollars to volunteer, nor do I need to get paid for my service. Just want to help.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Oh yes!

My friends Jose Bourget and Annette Snyder run a small foundation in Las Terrenas called Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi.
Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi which they staff primarily with volunteer. They would be delighted to have help. They run a small library - which is the only library in town, and a summer children's camp, and have also done some work with women's health issues.

Jose is a professor - on line- with the U of MD- , a Dominican-American, who returned here six years ago with his American wife and child - now they have another child. I want to recommend them to everyone who is passing through LT or has a house there or an apartment because they are truely wonderful people, dedicated and community minded.

So far, they have been running the show from their own pockets and some contributions - and they do ask volunteers to contribute some money, or supplies, or something, if they can --- but they are not making a LIVING off this -- which is what lots of people are doing (NOT that I am opposed to people making a living out of humanitarian work - just that it is hard for many foreigners to understand why they should pay $1000 a week to "volunteer"

They are specifically looking for a grant writer, if that happens to be in your skill set//

But do contact them and they can help set you up.

Certainly LT is a lovely place to be and help is very much needed there.

THANK YOU !

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Thank you so much for the info! I was in Las Terrenas exactly 1 year ago. We went into a very poor area and gave out 6 duffle bags full of all sorts of good things, from eye glasses, tooth paste/brushes to dolls, clothes, you name it. I have written some grants, but not my forte. I have been working in nutrition with Head Start... with infant/toddler feeding through age 5. I provide training in the area of nutrition to adults and children as well. I completely understand about not burdening anyone with extra expenses, but more often than not it is way to expensive to "volunteer". My other love is helping animals. I would love to hook up with some vet group, to provide if nothing else, translation services. I'll be on the road for the next few days, but will contact la Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi when I return. Thanks again. Jill

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
LT is the place for you!

Because there is also a big project there for sterilizing the beach dogs - it has been running for years and is quite wonderful. They take them off the beach area, sterilize them, keeping the females for their recovery time, then release them again. You are going to love the beach dogs of LT- some of the sweetest critters on earth. I had one who adopted me when I lived there and I was well received by lots of strangers because they knew the dog! So if I was hanging out with "Casa Blanca" I had to be OK.

She had been kept by a neighbor after her surgery and then just hung would not leave. We all looked after her. But when the lady left, Casa was heartbroken and came to me and I told her that she could
1) sleep on the porch
2) go out with other tourists
and that I would
!)feed her scraps but I would not buy food for her and
2) would not hire someone to look after her when I was not in town
and
most importantly,there would be no leash involved in this relationship. She was to remain Her Own Dog.

She used to follow me around town. Even when I took a moto- she would chase the moto or run ahead to clear traffic, as if I were royalty.

It broke my heart to leave her, but she was a Terrena.

I saw her last year, two years after I left, looking fit and fine, hanging out in the best part of town. And she saw me. And leaped up. And Twirled.

You will enjoy Las Terrenas.

Last edited:

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Sounds like a great match! I have a dog here in Oregon who requires quite a bit of medical attention, as he has diabetes and Addison's Disease (a disease of the Adrenal Glands) I have to take his blood glucose each morning, by pricking the inside of his mouth and using the blood glucose test strips & monitor to to find out how many units of insulin to give him. He has shots twice a day. This is my BIGGEST reservation about volunteering anywhere. I know he would approve of the mission if it meant helping other dogs. Thanks again for all of the info. If I make it there I'll look for your "Casa Blanca" and take her under my wing as well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
you will both be blessed

I can understand your reluctance. I put two of my three dogs down and gave the other away in the last year before I came here. One of the toughest things I had had to do. But it was their time and I had to go and I knew they couldn't make the journey. Dog love is great.

But you are just what that foundation needs and they will treasure you.

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing, but if I end up going... I absolutely will!