Carlos G?mez - Architect of His Own Life

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
cimg0002aa4.jpg

That's the cover of Mercado magazine's December supplement "New York Special Edition".

For those of you not 'in the know', Carlos G?mez is a Dominican in New Jersey that through hard work, dedication, a positive attitude and an unwavering belief in himself, his dreams, and his abilities has built a career (and a fortune) from the telecommunications industry. Yes, he's the founder and owner of UTA also known as Union Telecard Alliance.

In the article they go into deeper detail of how he started his business and because a success without every being handicapped by lacking a college education.

Here are a few interesting facts about his empire:

UTA has yearly transactions of about US$1 billion.

Offers over 500 products, 350,000 distribution/sales centers, 120,000 active clients in its prepaid cellular division.

2,100 distribution/sales centers are composed by supermarkets and bodegas.

He's also actively investing in the DR, with his Fountain Blue Beach Resort investment in Juan Dolio and the Boca Chav?n Beach Resort with 400 villas, marina, 150 room hotel, and championship golf course.

Goes to show that a Dominican can achieve whatever he (or she) wants. The first step is getting rid of the Guacanagarix inferiority complex and the pervasive pessimism that characterizes most people.

A positive attitude and a belief in one's self takes men to heights they never dreamed of.

-NALs ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
On the subject of positive stories about Dominican immigrants in the US, did anyone else see the nice little piece on CNN en espa?ol today about the young son of Dominican immigrants in NY who was going to the presidential inauguration as a reward for being an outstanding student? His whole family were interviewed and presented a very positive image of Dominican immigrants as people who place a great value on education and academic and professional achievement. The boy was only about 13 or 14 and was incredibly articulate.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
cimg0002aa4.jpg

That's the cover of Mercado magazine's December supplement "New York Special Edition".

For those of you not 'in the know', Carlos G?mez is a Dominican in New Jersey that through hard work, dedication, a positive attitude and an unwavering belief in himself, his dreams, and his abilities has built a career (and a fortune) from the telecommunications industry. Yes, he's the founder and owner of UTA also known as Union Telecard Alliance.

In the article they go into deeper detail of how he started his business and because a success without every being handicapped by lacking a college education.

Here are a few interesting facts about his empire:

UTA has yearly transactions of about US$1 billion.

Offers over 500 products, 350,000 distribution/sales centers, 120,000 active clients in its prepaid cellular division.

2,100 distribution/sales centers are composed by supermarkets and bodegas.

He's also actively investing in the DR, with his Fountain Blue Beach Resort investment in Juan Dolio and the Boca Chav?n Beach Resort with 400 villas, marina, 150 room hotel, and championship golf course.

Goes to show that a Dominican can achieve whatever he (or she) wants. The first step is getting rid of the Guacanagarix inferiority complex and the pervasive pessimism that characterizes most people.

A positive attitude and a belief in one's self takes men to heights they never dreamed of.

-NALs ;)

Nals, Carlos Gomez and little humbled me worked in the same field of biz back in the days... I worked with Comtel (AT&T - Sprint) and Carlos got a break via the cards like Metropolis and IDT... I was behind the Mi Bandera brand of cards, while Carlos set out to prove his entrepreneurial risqu? by shoveling the market with multiple cards and mostly single country oriented ones (something unheard of at the time). Needless to say, we go back to the days when he worked from the back of his car and I traveled long distances in NJ to pick up my cards at Monarch's Plastics.

I used to move 2 to 3 million in circulation a month at the peak; Carlos was doing ten times that bulk.

Those were fun days of thunder!!!! LOL!!!

Carlos later moved to a small store in the Bronx, close to the City Island exit on the bruckner/new england. I moved to Union city NJ.

I left the biz later on and last time I visited with Carlos he was already moving up the economic ladder. A man of his word and a handshake that provided a serious contract to others.

Let me say this about him to those that don't know the person behind the article: Carlos Gomez is a self made man! With honesty and integrity all this time.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I remember talking to Celines Toribio back in 2000 when I worked in Antena Latina and she had recently interviewed him. According to his own words in the interview, he was already clocking in about $60 million a month in sales back then, so I can only imagine how well off he is at this moment. There are so many Dominicans that just need a little of what he's got, namely following his dreams, and you'll hear more success stories as time goes on from Dominicans in the US.