GPS in Dominican Republic???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi all, we have a Garmin GPS here in the US. Garmin sells a chip/SD card that supposedly works in the DR. We go to SD 1-2 times a year and never need directions but when we go next month we want to drive places we've not gone to in 20+ years (east and north) and with the new roads, etc., it might make things easier. My gut says the chip is a waste of $$, so I'm wondering if anyone has used a GPS there and if it's a waste of time/money or worth it?

eroc100

May 3, 2009
GPS is now available in DR.

If you have a GARMIN GPS, go to Ola te guia, primer Mapa y GPS de Republica Dominicana. Compras tu mapa por tu GPS Garmin and buy the DR maps. went o vacation in July 2009 and used it. It works. The only thing is that they have many points of interest in the data base, but if you know your coordinate which you can get on google map, just plug it in and it will take you any where DR. It was of great help to me going from Santiago to Punta Cana. Great travel tools to have in DR. If you do drive, drive very careful over there. Take your time, don't be crazy and follow what they do over there. There is no traffic law. Red lights are green lights for the driver over there. but with caution, you can drive. Wow! Buena suerte...

Reactions: waytogo and mike l

terrierist

Mar 20, 2009
This link has been broken for nearly a week now, or more. Is the firm still in business? I was going to buy the D.R. maps, but cannot get through.

If you have a GARMIN GPS, go to Ola te guia, primer Mapa y GPS de Republica Dominicana. Compras tu mapa por tu GPS Garmin and buy the DR maps. went o vacation in July 2009 and used it. It works. The only thing is that they have many points of interest in the data base, but if you know your coordinate which you can get on google map, just plug it in and it will take you any where DR. It was of great help to me going from Santiago to Punta Cana. Great travel tools to have in DR. If you do drive, drive very careful over there. Take your time, don't be crazy and follow what they do over there. There is no traffic law. Red lights are green lights for the driver over there. but with caution, you can drive. Wow! Buena suerte...

Reactions: waytogo and mike l

NFF

Nov 10, 2010
Hi all, we have a Garmin GPS here in the US. Garmin sells a chip/SD card that supposedly works in the DR. We go to SD 1-2 times a year and never need directions but when we go next month we want to drive places we've not gone to in 20+ years (east and north) and with the new roads, etc., it might make things easier. My gut says the chip is a waste of $$, so I'm wondering if anyone has used a GPS there and if it's a waste of time/money or worth it?

There are 2 or 3 companys in this merchant. I`m using GPS Garmin Dominican Maps and still have no problems. Some people use Nokia Maps, or something else... :pirate:

Reactions: waytogo

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Checking that 2009 link, Kinda expensive, $170 U.S.

The last link looks more reasonable, $45

D in Santiago

Juliebrenna

Dec 6, 2010
If you have a GARMIN GPS, go to Ola te guia, primer Mapa y GPS de Republica Dominicana. Compras tu mapa por tu GPS Garmin and buy the DR maps. went o vacation in July 2009 and used it. It works. The only thing is that they have many points of interest in the data base, but if you know your coordinate which you can get on google map, just <a href="http://www.teamresurrection.com" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important; cursor: default ! important;">chris gonunu</a> plug it in and it will take you any where DR. It was of great help to me going from Santiago to Punta Cana. Great travel tools to have in DR. If you do drive, drive very careful over there. Take your time, don't be crazy and follow what they do over there. There is no traffic law. Red lights are green lights for the driver over there. but with caution, you can drive. Wow! Buena suerte...

I dont think the company is in business anymore :ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There are 2 or 3 companys in this merchant. I`m using GPS Garmin Dominican Maps and still have no problems. Some people use Nokia Maps, or something else... :pirate:

I bought this software and have not been able to complete the installation successfully on my Garmin Nuvi 1300. I have written them and they replied once, that I need to copy the files to the .system folder of my Garmin, which has no .system folder.

I have not gotten a response to my 2nd email about this.

It might be wise to get some more reviews about this company and their product, not sure if my problem is an isolated case or not.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
garmin nuvi 1300

I too have the garmin nuvi GPS, I found a site that developed the application with garmin for the DR maps. The download cost $80. USD. If I can find the link I will post it for you. I have not puchased it yet however.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
DR maps for Garmin nuvi 1300

here is the link for the info. on DR map downloads for the nuvi 1300, I hope it helps anyone needing it.
The cost of our maps is $ 80 dollars per country if you want to buy the map you can visit our web site GPSworldnet, in the section of maps. :surprised

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
GPS in the Dr

Hi:

Save your money. Unless you are driving around Santo Domingo you do not need a GPS. By a good map of the DR. When you get out into the countryside there are not that many roads that you have to be concerned about. If you are going North to South the new highway out near Las Americas airport may still not show up on the map but once you are on it you stay on it until it ends at a T, which is RT 5 which runs from Puerta Plata to Samana. It is pretty basic finding your way around the DR.

S

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
I need to make a correction on my earlier post, I have no stake in this company , I copied a reply they sent me when I made an inquirey to them, Thanks, Chuck t.

The cost of our maps is $ 80 dollars per country if you want to buy the map you can visit our web site GPSworldnet, in the section of maps.