Travel Suggestions

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
My dad and I are going to visit March 6 - 13 and were originally going to head to the Samana peninsula. I have been to the Baharona area once and usually when I visit I head to Rio San Juan. My dad is mainly going to just hang out and probably read books and enjoy the food and relaxation, but I am interested in beautiful beaches and good places to snorkel. We also like to go out and "explore", and have a few Presidente's and just hang out. I do not remember the name of place (possibly San Rafael?) but when I did visit the Baharona area we went to a place where it had the pools filled with freezing cold water coming out of the large hills into stone-walled lagoons and then into the ocean. The ocean was nice but had bone-crushing waves which is something I am not interested in! We enjoy the simpler accomodations as long as they are clean, preferably on the ocean, but a good view will work as well. We will be flying into Santo Domingo and then heading west, with no specific destination as of yet, so any and all recommendations will greatly appreciated, and if you're in the area when we visit we can have a few Presidente's to show my gratitude (my dad will probably have coffee, so if you prefer coffee that will work too)!

Thanks,
Kelsey

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Thanks Bob. Those pictures were great! Many of those places I have been except for the Monte Cristi area, Pedernales, and Bani (except for passing through). I had no clue there were dunes in Bani. Thanks again for the link.

Kelsey

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Any other recommendations?

Does anyone else have any recommendations? I have read all of the other posts but I have not seen anything on snorkeling or the like. Thanks...

K.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
SW thread

Does anyone else have any recommendations? I have read all of the other posts but I have not seen anything on snorkeling or the like. Thanks...

K.

there is good diving there but for more experienced divers - ie. have to have your own equipment. I don't know if any of the places specialize in snorkeling...I am not even sure that you can rent equipment. There are trips out to Isla Beata - but I don't know how to get hold of the operaters - contact the Eco tour operators, they may help you out.

I have read - but do not know from experience, that the coast around Bayahibe (SE shore) offers that best snorkeling on the island.

And buy the new Lonely Planet guide, that will help. Just out- well done- much better than the old ones.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My dad and I are going to visit March 6 - 13 and were originally going to head to the Samana peninsula. I have been to the Baharona area once and usually when I visit I head to Rio San Juan. My dad is mainly going to just hang out and probably read books and enjoy the food and relaxation, but I am interested in beautiful beaches and good places to snorkel. We also like to go out and "explore", and have a few Presidente's and just hang out. I do not remember the name of place (possibly San Rafael?) but when I did visit the Baharona area we went to a place where it had the pools filled with freezing cold water coming out of the large hills into stone-walled lagoons and then into the ocean. The ocean was nice but had bone-crushing waves which is something I am not interested in! We enjoy the simpler accomodations as long as they are clean, preferably on the ocean, but a good view will work as well. We will be flying into Santo Domingo and then heading west, with no specific destination as of yet, so any and all recommendations will greatly appreciated, and if you're in the area when we visit we can have a few Presidente's to show my gratitude (my dad will probably have coffee, so if you prefer coffee that will work too)!

Thanks,
Kelsey
San Rafael has those pools. I was there 2 weeks ago, scouting our SW Tour. The trash around the place, even by DR standards, was unbelievably appalling.

Go a few miles farther south to Los Patos. It also has a clear stream flowing into the sea, but it is as neat and clean as any beach I've ever seen

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Hotel Pontevedra

I stayed here last week. The pool is right above the beach with a fantastic view. Very low key and quiet. $1100 pesos per person incuding breakfast and dinner. It is 10 min to San Rafael and 20 minutes to Los Patos. Aparta Hotel Pontevedra

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Thanks for all of the responses, although the verdict is not in yet. It looks like we will be staying at the Aparta Hotel Pontevedra and just doing day trips from there. Since the hotels in Pedernales are busy on the weekends, we are probably going to head there Tuesday and make our way back to the Baharona area on Thursday, and back to the airport on Friday. But as with everything, nothing is set in stone and we just go with the flow. Let me know if you have any other suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks,
K.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Southwest Beach Info

Saludos!
I have been to the southwest 3 times and can tell you the only tranquil water where you can snorkel is in Bahia de las Aguilas which is about a 2 hr drive from Barahona.
Playa Quemaito was lot more tranquil than the beaches of San Rafael and Los Patos, and also has some sandy areas.
I have photos of those beaches here in the DR1 Media Gallery Paul Gerace - DR1 Media Gallery, as well as my own website www.geraceimages.com.
Enjoy.
Paul Gerace

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
San Rafael has those pools. I was there 2 weeks ago, scouting our SW Tour. The trash around the place, even by DR standards, was unbelievably appalling.

Cobraboy: what trash are you talking about? there's usually no trash in San Rafael.

By the way, I saw you guys in your bikes when I was coming back from Barahona, you guys were going towards Barahona, I was eating at the Cruce de Ocoa so I couldn't take pictures, that was on Jan. 11 I think.

kmorris

Feb 20, 2006
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, but our trip has been cancelled, or I should say postponed. My dad's business has been slow and he doesn't want to spend any "unnecessary" money at the moment. So my spring break trip will have to wait, so now we are shooting for sometime this summer. I will go back to looking at my pictures from previous trips to the DR. Thanks again to everyone.

K.