Crossing the border at Perdanales

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I want to know if anyone has ever crossed into Anse-a-Pitres Haiti from the end of rt 44 in Perdanales? It is not an offical border crossing..I have been told I must park on the border and walk across into the town or take a motoconcho.. Is this how it works?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
border crossing

I want to know if anyone has ever crossed into Anse-a-Pitres Haiti from the end of rt 44 in Perdanales? It is not an offical border crossing..I have been told I must park on the border and walk across into the town or take a motoconcho.. Is this how it works?

yup and there is pretty much no place to go--- Anse a Pitre is only accessible by overnight ferry by Jacmel - crowded with Haitians who can't swim and certified unsafe - or by giant truck to Thiotte. You might get a ride on one of the trucks but with no stamp, you are in Haiti illegally,,, not that I think it will matter much in Haiti but then you have to cross back... You can walk around Anse A Pitres for the day but that will not take you long.

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Pedernales - Anse a Pitre crossing is official

The crossing between Pedernales and Anse-a-Pitre is an official and recognized border crossing, as long as you pass through the respective immigration/emigration offices during official opening hours.

Ofcourse you can cross the border like most locals outside the official hours if you merely intend to conduct local trade or be inside Haiti for the sake of saying that you have been in Haiti before returning to the DR. However, if you intend to travel further inland into Haiti, I strongly recommend that you enter through the official channels - it can otherwise cost you dearly, both in terms of money and refusal of renewed entry into Haiti. Despite what many may think, then the Haitians can be pretty contientious about who enter their country, and make the required checks when and if required - and it really is little hazzle to make it official.

When leaving the DR, you either visit the Pedernales emigration authorities at their office at the southern part of town and get your exit stamp before taking a motoconcho the 1 km to the border. On the Haitian side, you visit the container hosting both customs and immigration, right on the other side of the pedestrian bridge across the (usually dry) river, and get your entry stamp. The border is open -if I recall- from 7 am. to 5 pm.

From Anse-a-Pitre, you take a boat plying at night between Anse-a-Pitre and Marigot, (a bit of an experience admittendly considering the amount of cargo and passengers loaded on top), and from there a local but or 'tap-tap' to Jacmel or Port au Prince, or the occational truck loaded with charcoal and used clothes to Thiotte and onwards to Font Parisien and PAP.

Good luck

Reactions: mountainannie

sosua.sam

Mar 30, 2009
Is this safe to do at the present time? I would like to see a bit of Haiti.

Are there any flights between Haiti and DR?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
flights and buses

Is this safe to do at the present time? I would like to see a bit of Haiti.

Are there any flights between Haiti and DR?

yes, i think it is two flights a day and at least three bus lines.... see the travel forum under Haiti

it is calm and pretty safe. There are still reported kidnappings but they are not of random people - but mostly of Haitian-Americans - not "tourists"

Be aware that Haiti is much more expensive to get around - unless you are travelling by the tap-taps - the trucks converted into buses. The new Lonely Planet Guide has good info.

ahimsa

Mar 11, 2009
ferries

Just want to add or clarify for folks - these ferries are not what many people might be imagining. They are small, shallow, open wooden boats (about 25 feet long) with an outboard attached. You hang out on the shore until evening, and cargo is carried from the shore to the boat, piled high. Then the passengers are carried to the boat, sitting on top the cargo.

Regarding safety - it has been more calm lately, although there is an election today (4-19). Hopefully that will proceed smoothly.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I read at the List?n that PAWA Dominicana offered o-w tickets to PAP for 59US and r/t for 99 US.