Sell and mail Medications / drugs to the USA?

Dully

Aug 24, 2007
I met a Pharmasist here in the Dominican Republic who wants to sell medication and pills to the US. He wanted to setup a website and sell to the clients (not wholesale to businesses) Does anyone know if this is ok to do? you dont need a perscription here for anything, so he would want to sell most everything. (not like illegal narcodics like cocaine or anything ouvusly.)
1) Is there an issue for him if he sells meds to the US?
2) Can he ship (mail and/or UPS) medicaions and drugs to the States Legally? Will they just get confiscaited?
3) Can the person buying them get in trouble? As this applies to the US not sure if anyone here can answer this.

Any help would be great!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What your pharmacist friend is looking into is illegal from what I understand.

The only way to possibly do it legally would be to have clients send him their prescriptions from the US to his pharmacy for processing.

This is how it is done with some online pharmacies in Canada.

Then there is the issue of processing payments for said products and having a reliable way to send the prescriptions to the US.

US customers are very demanding, and the first time a shipment is late or does not arrive and there are hassles with returning payment it will be curtains for your friends' mail-order business.

Feb 7, 2007
Maybe your friend (the pharmacist) can partner with a local doctor who would give the prescriptions (signed and stamped) in the customer's name. You would then enclose a copy of the prescription with the shipment.

rickboz

Feb 5, 2006
I have some familiarity with this topic because I currently order medications from another country that I have shipped via the US in Florida to me here in the DR using one of the more reliable services for shipping ( so they will actually reach me here in the DR).

Even though I live in the DR where no prescription would be needed for the medications I take, because I have these items sent via the US, I need to have a prescription for them. If they were sent directly to the DR, I would not need a prescription, but they would probably never arrive.

So, the company shipping to the US will need their clients to have a valid US prescription or they could be confiscated upon entry to the US.

NOTE: There used to be an on-line prescription generation service for this purpose that charged a small fee for a so-called consulatation, but they were shut down, I presume by the US as a scam to avoid getting a prescription from your US doctor, normally for a much larger fee.

Hope I did the quote right...anyway.

This begs a question for me to ask. I currently use alternative herbal and mineral supplements to treat my arthritis and kidney stones. When I move to the Dominican will it be possible to have those shipped to me from the US company that manufactures them ? Are there restrictions on what can be shipped into the country ?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If the medicine in question requires a prescription to be sold in the US, the patient would need to furnish a prescription.

Not only that, but the medication itself would need to be registered in the US as well, or it will be confiscated on arrival via whatever shipping service is used to send it there. The FDA is part of the Customs process for goods entering the US, so no registration information with the goods - don't pass go.

This data is always on the packaging in the form of a USA Reg. No. Many pharmaceutical companies sell different versions of the same type of medicine using a common name, but the formulation varies depending on the countries it is registered for. Just because it has the same name does not mean it is registered in the US, he would need to check the packaging for that information.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Hope I did the quote right...anyway.

This begs a question for me to ask. I currently use alternative herbal and mineral supplements to treat my arthritis and kidney stones. When I move to the Dominican will it be possible to have those shipped to me from the US company that manufactures them ? Are there restrictions on what can be shipped into the country ?

Herbal and mineral supplements do not fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA.

So if you don't need a prescription to get them in the states you won't need one when you move to the DR.

Also, there is legislation on the books now that requires patients to see a doctor before they are allowed to purchase prescription drugs online. This will go into effect April of this year.

Online pharmacies must register with the DEA. Illegally selling controlled substances over the internet without a prescription and without registering with the DEA can result in a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

Interestingly enough, this law won't effect offshore internet pharmacies that are not subject to US law.

And to Dully-your pharmacist friend will most likely get a certain percentage of customers inquiring about injectable vitamins, cortico-steroids, HGH, testosterone, EPO and the like.

In other words, performance enhancing drugs.

I have no idea what type of advertising your pharmacist friend is planning on doing, nor do I know how he feels about this, but unfortunately this is where the real money is in selling pharmaceutical drugs over the internet internationally.

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Continuation...

(Sorry!!! Ran out of time while editing!!!)

Dully-I hope your friend, even though there is a good amount of money to be made with what I just mentioned, isn't going to get involved in anything like that.

It would not be worth the trouble.