When Lawyers Break the Law

kevadair

Nov 9, 2007
Is there a Dominican form of the Legal Bar Review? A lawyer brokered a negotiated settlement between me and a corporation he represents. Then after I met all requirements on time and paid the lawyer, he did not return the property that I put in his custody to guarantee the agreement. What should I do? What would you do? Where should I report this? Who is the official authority?

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
This is a great question.

My buddy and I met a young lady in Santiago whose parents were attorneys. She gave us the impression that they were involved in some local or regional lawyer's association. But I don't know if this association serves the same regulatory function as the various state bars that U.S. attorneys are members of.

Please keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

Vince.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
God help you

Depends on who the lawyer is, who the corporation is and how powerful and honest your lawyer is. Justice is not blind in the DR. Some lawyers can get away with anything. They also can collude and share the spoils.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Depending on what you seek as a remedy, you may file a complaint against the lawyer at the Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana (the official Bar Association of the DR), at the Supreme Court, or at the office of the District Attorney.

I note that the attorney in question was not your attorney but the opposing party's. You should make sure that the attorney was bound contractually to return the property to you and that you have in your possession the proper documentation to prove it. You don't want to put yourself in a situation where you'll become a defendant again.